R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 07-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #14701
Tech Elite

Try switching the rear hubs.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #14702
Tech Initiate

That looks like what I have here. I'm so confused. Haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-image.jpg  
slashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #14703
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Look closer!!! Swap the hubs left to right, right to left
Sean B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #14704
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashed View Post
No...that's not at all what the last post showed - they are backwards.

Simply switch the hubs and you're good to go.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #14705
Tech Initiate

Figured it out. Sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks everyone for the help! I took the rear end apart no less than five times trying to switch things around and get it to work.
slashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #14706
Tech Elite

Quote:
Figured it out. Sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks everyone for the help! I took the rear end apart no less than five times trying to switch things around and get it to work.
No worries, we've all done it - those who haven't are lying.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #14707
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Diff

Built a new diff, all parts from the B5m lite manual, upgraded rings, mip thrust nut, avid ceramic thrust, usual stuff I build them with. For some reason I can't get it tight, when I spin the wheel it goes around 2 times. I took apart checked it, tightened so tight broke thrust bolt, took apart again, looked an manual, feel I am missing something. Put together re broke it on, still feels too free to me. Does not feel like all my other 3 gears, which spin 1 time and kind of come to an abrupt stop. Rebuilt a new diff for back up but usually when I tighten the thrust the outdrives get tight to where I have to back off a 1/4 or 1/2 again this one feels loose and can't tighten anymore.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:57 AM   #14708
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
Built a new diff, all parts from the B5m lite manual, upgraded rings, mip thrust nut, avid ceramic thrust, usual stuff I build them with. For some reason I can't get it tight, when I spin the wheel it goes around 2 times. I took apart checked it, tightened so tight broke thrust bolt, took apart again, looked an manual, feel I am missing something. Put together re broke it on, still feels too free to me. Does not feel like all my other 3 gears, which spin 1 time and kind of come to an abrupt stop. Rebuilt a new diff for back up but usually when I tighten the thrust the outdrives get tight to where I have to back off a 1/4 or 1/2 again this one feels loose and can't tighten anymore.
The avid thrust bearing is thinner than a normal thrust bearing. Don't know if that could be part of your issue or not. Since you said you usually use them
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #14709
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
The rear arms look backwards to.
On the lite kits, the "R" arm goes on the left and the "L" on the right side.
They are actually the regular B5R arms. Little confusing to say the least.

Swapping those will kick the hubs more forward away from the shocks. Check the RC car action pic Chris above.
Pinebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #14710
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas PA View Post
The avid thrust bearing is thinner than a normal thrust bearing. Don't know if that could be part of your issue or not. Since you said you usually use them
I run the avid thrust in my stock diff and my pucks. I do not have this issue.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:16 AM   #14711
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

Quote:

You can't always go by feel until the diff has been used a bit. Since you broke it in I'd put it in the car, check it under load, and give it a battery pack. Unless there's a part [or parts] that are poorly machined I don't see how the diff could not be right if its assembled correctly. I guess its possible that you didn't pre-collapse the spring in the diff with pliers or maybe you put the diff nut in backwards....but I doubt it. I know that you've built a few diffs.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #14712
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Put one of the old thrust wahers on first then the avid. Avid is thinner and the screw runs out of thread.
eddie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #14713
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
take 2 wrenches drop them in the slots of the outdrives. hold together in one hand. get a towel and grab the diff gear and try to slip it. if it slips tighten diff 1/8th turn. repeat above.
get it so it slips just slightly then tighten it. And then try slipping it with the towel again. If it doesnt slip its ready to go in the car.
Bear in mind you have to use alot of force with your hand to get the diff to slip. But I guarantee it will be close
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #14714
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinebox View Post
The rear arms look backwards to.
On the lite kits, the "R" arm goes on the left and the "L" on the right side.
They are actually the regular B5R arms. Little confusing to say the least.

Swapping those will kick the hubs more forward away from the shocks. Check the RC car action pic Chris above.
The arms are not on wrong. No matter what arms you use if they're on the wrong side, it moves the shock mount to the front of the arm. Which will be a VERY noticeable problem. If we really want to get picky the pic from RC Car Action is of a B5m, not a B5m lite. The location of the screw holding in the hinge pin tells you so.

It's all a moot point. He already said he figured it out.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #14715
Tech Fanatic

Got the replacement hex and finished up the build. Gonna go run it today at OCRC.

RTR weight

and the fleet ready to go