Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TongueTied
I just ordered my RC10B5M. This is the most technical and race worthy car I've ever had so there may be some dumb questions coming....
Don't fret it. We all have been there and most of us will share the information we have.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron33
Should I run 4 gear or 3 gear for high bite clay Track like OCRC for mod
You should use whatever works best for you.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Tech Initiate

I got a b5m lite recently because of all the upgrades it comes with but should I switch the lite chassis for the standard b5m chassis for mod or will it not make much of a difference?
Old 07-02-2015, 03:34 AM
Tech Initiate

^ been curious about this as well as I've been pondering picking up one or the other, but would mainly be running mod.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:52 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron33
I got a b5m lite recently because of all the upgrades it comes with but should I switch the lite chassis for the standard b5m chassis for mod or will it not make much of a difference?
It will be just fine in modified. The lite chassis may be lighter, but we were changing chassis' to get more flex, the lack of weight was just an added bonus.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone have any real world testing experience on a loose track to indicate if there is an actual benefit to 4 gear over 3 gear? Just wish there was a factory "heavy mod" version of the b5m because I'd rather have the thicker chassis and 4 gear for running outdoor in loser conditions with large wind catching jumps with abrasive landings in mod. For me, all the light options such as a 3 gear transmission and thinner chassis are going the wrong direction for running 2wd competitively outdoors.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razathorn
Does anyone have any real world testing experience on a loose track to indicate if there is an actual benefit to 4 gear over 3 gear? Just wish there was a factory "heavy mod" version of the b5m because I'd rather have the thicker chassis and 4 gear for running outdoor in loser conditions with large wind catching jumps with abrasive landings in mod. For me, all the light options such as a 3 gear transmission and thinner chassis are going the wrong direction for running 2wd competitively outdoors.
The milled chassis adds flex which might benefit outdoors. Aside from that, the brass items help many people that run outdoors to get the weight where they need it. Socket who posted above was using a square backs and I think the rear brass C block for outdoor racing. Adding weight is pretty easy.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been using the lite chassis for every outdoor race this year. The flex it has is similar to cutting the waterfall! I added the brass c block which pretty much gets the milled weight back. I also have only run 4 gear because our tracks typically do not produce enough grip and I'm almost positive the 3 gear would be at a disadvantage. I'm still using a shorty pack btw. So far the cars been phenomenal!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Many outdoor tracks here in Michigan are more old school, topsoil surfaces. I've done lots of testing on them with my two mid motor cars and the 4 gear is better for my driving style in mod. It definitely gives you more rear bite while accelerating and also really helps when pitching the car around mid air after rough jumps that don't always launch you cleanly. That being said, it makes it harder to use the brakes as it pitches more weight forward, but I tend to just scrub speed by throwing the car sideways.

However, it is a smaller difference than I expected going between the two gearboxes (both AE). The biggest difference was getting the car around 1550-1580 with a 68-70% rear weight bias. Also, more flex helped a lot more than the gearbox swap by doing the waterfall mod and/or using a more flexible chassis. I've currently settled on the infinity chassis with weights/brass exactly where I want it and the 4 gear transmission in mod and the an aluminum chassis I've milled myself with the 3 gear transmission in stock. Both cars run shorties at the weight mentioned above so I can play with the bias more easily track to track.

I have yet to play with the lite chassis, but my guess is that its increased flex over the stock one is more ideal and then adding some brass in the rear to change the bias/overall weight would be than the way to go.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:06 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Krio
Many outdoor tracks here in Michigan are more old school, topsoil surfaces. I've done lots of testing on them with my two mid motor cars and the 4 gear is better for my driving style in mod. It definitely gives you more rear bite while accelerating and also really helps when pitching the car around mid air after rough jumps that don't always launch you cleanly. That being said, it makes it harder to use the brakes as it pitches more weight forward, but I tend to just scrub speed by throwing the car sideways.

However, it is a smaller difference than I expected going between the two gearboxes (both AE). The biggest difference was getting the car around 1550-1580 with a 68-70% rear weight bias. Also, more flex helped a lot more than the gearbox swap by doing the waterfall mod and/or using a more flexible chassis. I've currently settled on the infinity chassis with weights/brass exactly where I want it and the 4 gear transmission in mod and the an aluminum chassis I've milled myself with the 3 gear transmission in stock. Both cars run shorties at the weight mentioned above so I can play with the bias more easily track to track.

I have yet to play with the lite chassis, but my guess is that its increased flex over the stock one is more ideal and then adding some brass in the rear to change the bias/overall weight would be than the way to go.
Let me congratulate you on a well written and helpful post.
Thank you.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, honestly I really hate tuning with flex. I'd rather have a super rigid car and find another solution if more grip is needed--such as more droop or roll or softer springs, but I digress. Good info on the 4 gear, that's what I was looking for.

So the light chassis is milled out, not thinner? I'm not going to NOT use it because it flexes more, you just won't see me cutting parts and removing screws to find flex--I'll just run it because it comes with the car if it doesn't wear out faster on an abrasive surface.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:17 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, honestly I really hate tuning with flex. I'd rather have a super rigid car and find another solution if more grip is needed--such as more droop or roll or softer springs, but I digress. Good info on the 4 gear, that's what I was looking for.

So the light chassis is milled out, not thinner? I'm not going to NOT use it because it flexes more, you just won't see me cutting parts and removing screws to find flex--I'll just run it because it comes with the car if it doesn't wear out faster on an abrasive surface.
In the past i would have agreed with you 100% on chassis flex.
However in off road there are so many variables it is hard to run a car as soft as you want to get grip while still maintaining a platform that can handle the jumps and landings. Not saying it can't be done but it will take longer to get there.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What is the waterfall mod?
Old 07-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Did anyone else have tightness when putting the steering blocks into the caster blocks?

I had a tough time getting everything together it seemed like the steering block did not freely move in the caster block. Even when I backed out the screws.

I had to sand down the caster block a bit to get free movement.

Also I used the pinch the ball cup with pliers trick, it worked great. How long do they stay pinched and move freely?

This is the first kit I've built since my B2 in the 90's. This buggy is so much better than the old stuff. You young guns have no idea how good you have it today

Thanks to Jason RCbuddha for starting this page and adding to it. I know it sounds nuts but I have read every single post in the 957 pages so far. So much good info.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys

I'm looking into getting a b5m and I'm wondering what servos as well as motor/esc fit in the buggy. The only option I really see that people are using is the Tekin RS gen 2 and not much else. The buggy seems to be really cramped for space. I also don't see too much info on the servos people seem to be running. Any recommendations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.