R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 06-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #13996
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
The same springs worked on the old sc

Yes, there are new springs coming!
awesome! Can't wait, then we will have a new FT kit with shocks baby!! Just in time for winter season rebuilds, lol.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #13997
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone17 View Post
Need some advice on motor setup.
Currently running a speed passion 8.5t and thought my car felt ok. Drove a friends B4 yesterday with a Tekin 13.5 and it's got far more power and is definitely faster. Was running the same tires on both cars.
I think I've got the stock recommended gearing for 8.5.

Any ideas? Thought the 8.5 would have at least the same amount of power, expected more.
There is so much that goes into "speed" and feel it would take me hours to explain it to you.

Your friends B4 could have an outrageous amount of differences to make it have more power. From timing, boost, it's lighter etc.

For gearing, you need to start with the manual suggestions, and then change from there based on feel and keeping an eye on temps. What base timing are you running? What ESC?

What weight is the car? How long are your races? What battery are you using?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #13998
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
I have paid a premium for a few things but the bigger draw back for me is their site. They need to update their shopping cart, it is finicky for myself with name not matching, PayPal would be awesome, something closer to Avid or Schelle would be a step in the right direction.
Paypal is coming.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #13999

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

And in addition to what Socket said about speed...what are the lap times? A planted car may feel "slower" because it is more challenging to get out of sorts. Lap times are always the key.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #14000
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
There is so much that goes into "speed" and feel it would take me hours to explain it to you.

Your friends B4 could have an outrageous amount of differences to make it have more power. From timing, boost, it's lighter etc.

For gearing, you need to start with the manual suggestions, and then change from there based on feel and keeping an eye on temps. What base timing are you running? What ESC?

What weight is the car? How long are your races? What battery are you using?
The cars are pretty close to the same weight, slight variances depending on which battery is in them. My B5 weighs around 1525g ready to go.

I'm running a speed passion 8.5 with an X-Car esc(hobbywing clone). One thing I really have no experience with is motor timing with the brushless setup. I've got it set as it was out of the box.

I have two batteries, a 4600 shorty and 4850 saddle. Usually run the shorty though with the saddle there's a minor increase in rear traction.

Running same tires on both buggies.
Qualifiers are 5 mins, mains 6 or 8

Gearing is what the manual says for 8.5(don't remember exact tooth counts). Motor comes off the track pretty warm, 160+ after a 5 min run
Tbone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #14001
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Going back to factory setup minus RM arms all around. Oh and the 30* kickup because I broke the 25* block and it doesn't look like I'll have it in time for Friday night. Just curious how it will feel to what I was running...
Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #14002
Tech Elite

probably slow and sluggish.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #14003
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone17 View Post
The cars are pretty close to the same weight, slight variances depending on which battery is in them. My B5 weighs around 1525g ready to go.

I'm running a speed passion 8.5 with an X-Car esc(hobbywing clone). One thing I really have no experience with is motor timing with the brushless setup. I've got it set as it was out of the box.

I have two batteries, a 4600 shorty and 4850 saddle. Usually run the shorty though with the saddle there's a minor increase in rear traction.

Running same tires on both buggies.
Qualifiers are 5 mins, mains 6 or 8

Gearing is what the manual says for 8.5(don't remember exact tooth counts). Motor comes off the track pretty warm, 160+ after a 5 min run

Your car is fairly light for a mod car. What surface are you on? What is your setup? What tires?

What pinion and spur?

What timing?

There are so many variables, you have barely scratched the surface. And let me also mention, there is NO way a B4 is weighing anywhere near 1525, I don't have a lot of experience with that generation of cars, but I do know they are SUPER light, lighter than even the B5 rear motor.

You're running very hot for a mod motor, I would try dropping a tooth and seeing what it does. How old is that motor? What was the last time the rotor was zapped? Weak rotors will make a motor run hot regardless of gearing or timing.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #14004
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hope it's okay to share here, but I've decided to move from 2WD Buggy and selling my hopped up B5M/B5R if anyone is interested: FS: Associated B5M

Thanks!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #14005
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So I have a problem, my servo won't center.

It's a spektrum s6040. If I put it on one group of teeth it's too far to the left. If I put it on another group of teeth, it's too far to the right. So I basically have to trim my radio to +70 on the steering trim, which is taking away some travel from one side.

I know spektrum is a 23 tooth spline and savox has a 25. I really want to find a solution to using my spektrum one. If I went to savox, I suppose I would have more teeth to fine tune with.

In my 4th generation cars they were fine because they have the adjustable servo arm that you could change the length of.

Any help?
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #14006
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Your car is fairly light for a mod car. What surface are you on? What is your setup? What tires?

What pinion and spur?

What timing?

There are so many variables, you have barely scratched the surface. And let me also mention, there is NO way a B4 is weighing anywhere near 1525, I don't have a lot of experience with that generation of cars, but I do know they are SUPER light, lighter than even the B5 rear motor.

You're running very hot for a mod motor, I would try dropping a tooth and seeing what it does. How old is that motor? What was the last time the rotor was zapped? Weak rotors will make a motor run hot regardless of gearing or timing.
Just to comment that bolded part. B5 is very light (compared to example B5m) even in its out of the box setup. If I remeber correctly my B5 weights around ~1570 and that is with square pack (Team Orion 100C Carbon Pro 5800mA).
MiG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #14007
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
So I have a problem, my servo won't center.

It's a spektrum s6040. If I put it on one group of teeth it's too far to the left. If I put it on another group of teeth, it's too far to the right. So I basically have to trim my radio to +70 on the steering trim, which is taking away some travel from one side.

I know spektrum is a 23 tooth spline and savox has a 25. I really want to find a solution to using my spektrum one. If I went to savox, I suppose I would have more teeth to fine tune with.

In my 4th generation cars they were fine because they have the adjustable servo arm that you could change the length of.

Any help?
Are you using trim or sub-trim to center this 70 steps?
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #14008
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So the search function on the phone site sucks.

I am contemplating switching from my certified kill shot to one of the D4 1s 17.5 motors. Would it be worth the switch and what kind of timing gearing do people run with the 1s short stack motors

Thanks in advance
Jade67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #14009
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:

What pinion and spur?

What timing?

81T spur and 20T pinion
Running on hard pack dry dirt, dusty and loose on top. Soft Blockades on the back and soft 3 ribs on the front.

I did get the motor used, speed passion 8.5R, so don't know it's history. Never heard of zapping the rotor.
The motor has a 10* adjustment window and is set in the middle. Esc timing is set to 17* the way it came out of the box.

As for the B4 I haven't actually weighed it myself but trusted what I was told. If I get a chance I'll weigh it myself with the same scale to confirm. I know the B4 runs full size packs so they might have added to its weight.

I do have a Tekin motor to try and am now wondering if there could be a big difference from a Tekin esc(RS) to the Hobbyking(Hobbywing clone) in its power delivery to the motor.
Tbone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #14010
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Are you using trim or sub-trim to center this 70 steps?
I was using trim. But what is the difference?

Also, anybody know why my steering turnbuckles have to be different length to achieve the same toe on each side? One turnbuckle has to be 25mm and one has to be 28.5mm. Steering seems to be at center.

Last edited by BrandonBreh; 06-03-2015 at 03:11 PM.
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote