R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 05-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #13846
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

From Amain

This is a Team Powers 17.5 Turn Actinium Competition Sensored Brushless Motor.

Features:
Variable End bell for easy timing changes to alter the output power and torque of the motor
Includes ROAR spec rotor
Updated neodymium sintered rotor and air flow convection system that can lower temperatures by 5~10'C
Easy assembly. Remove three screws to remove the rotor without the need to disassemble the end bell and sensor board
Thicker low resistance wire for more power

Specifications:
Design Specification: Based on IFMAR/ROAR/EFRA/BRCA
Motor Dimensions (Diameter x Length): 35.8x51mm
Shaft Diameter: 3.17mm
Magnet Dimensions (Diameter x Length): 12.3x24mm (10.5~17.5 turn)
Weight: 165g (5g lighter than the previous model)
Application: 1/10 car, buggy, truck
kV: 2200
This product was added to our catalog on January 19, 2015.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #13847
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Little Car View Post
I just took the rotor out of my Team Powers Actinium 17.5 motor. It measured 12.5

If you don't know the facts, why did you post that comment about 12.3 rotors? You know that people read stuff on this forum and assume that we know what we are talking about, right?

Next time you need somthing measured, PM me and I'll bust out my calipers
I also just checked team powers website. Same information.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #13848
Tech Initiate

Duly noted, I'll look into the matter. Kinda weird I got a 12.5
Fast Little Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #13849
Tech Prophet

Quote:
no need to jump my case. I was looking into the Team Powers motors because I have seen the name a lot recently. Viper also ships stock motors with 12.3mm rotors and makes you buy the 12.5 separately. Make sure you dont have a mod rotor.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #13850
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
no need to jump my case.
Agreed, my apologies, my bad!

The 12.3 spec on the 17.5 rotor could be a misprint, unless they changed the spec on the motors they are shipping out now. I have contacted Team Powers USA regarding the matter and hopefully we'll have a conclusive answer in just a few minutes
Old 05-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #13851
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrefish View Post
ESC - Orion RC10.1 - Note I didn't select boost, it was out of the box but I knew I needed to dial quite a few settings down. I guess you could argue that by not dialing it down straight of the box I in effect selected boost :-).

I'll get a stock 17.5 and do some months of running under this, I'm taking up the hobby again as I have 3 & 2 year old sons that love watching SDRC practices already. When I get the inevitable kits in a couple of years time the 17.5 can be used by them.

Hey lesson learned guys and I've received great feedback that has improved my knowledge ten fold. Note, I did not just jump into this without research, it took me 6 months to hit the buy button and I have an evernote of 50 articles, spreadsheets of gear formula's etc. Just didn't do enough research I guess and had presumed veteran skill would help me a little. Just need to brush off the rust. Until I hit the clay I was never going to be able to measure the skill and speed.

Also you find that different sites and youtube videos have varying degrees of trust associated with them. I know some sources are less useful than others now.

Great community here when you raise a topic with enough heat for comments :-). I'm sitting here with a smile reading all of them.

Just go out there and practice as much as you can and ask as many questions at the track as you do here. No replacement for the local knowledge.

Be careful on some of this advise. Guys seem to have no problem spending your money. The 7.5 will be fine at a big high bite facility like SDRC when the turbo boost/timing boost is disabled and your throttle EPA's dropped to 80-90% in my opinion. Let us know how your next track putting goes and what improvement you make!
mgers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #13852
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Quote:
I also just checked team powers website. Same information.
I checked with a guy I trust and he informed me that it does indeed come with the 12.5 rotor. He keeps telling the web guy and he says it is fixed but it keeps coming back.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #13853
Tech Initiate

Yup, I just got a message back from Team Powers USA. The standard rotor is indeed 12.5.

On their behalf, Thanks Wildcat1971 for bringing it to attention that the specs listed are incorrect.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #13854
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgers75 View Post
Just go out there and practice as much as you can and ask as many questions at the track as you do here. No replacement for the local knowledge.

Be careful on some of this advise. Guys seem to have no problem spending your money. The 7.5 will be fine at a big high bite facility like SDRC when the turbo boost/timing boost is disabled and your throttle EPA's dropped to 80-90% in my opinion. Let us know how your next track putting goes and what improvement you make!
Thanks bud, to be honest I felt I might be able to tame the beast after the weekend changes I made. It really was a different car to drive and felt controllable. With all the advice the last 24hrs I think I can make further adjustments still that will help greatly. I'll buy the tires but give the 7.5 another go but under a tamed profile. Happy to get another motor but if going to a stock class means updating firmware, getting cables etc etc then it will be a double expense hit.

Will follow up after I get to hit the track again.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
bizarrefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #13855
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Yup, I just got a message back from Team Powers USA. The standard rotor is indeed 12.5.

On their behalf, Thanks Wildcat1971 for bringing it to attention that the specs listed are incorrect.
amain copys the info from the manufacturer. so once he updates his website, someone will need to contact amain and have them update their info.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #13856
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrefish View Post
Thanks bud, to be honest I felt I might be able to tame the beast after the weekend changes I made. It really was a different car to drive and felt controllable. With all the advice the last 24hrs I think I can make further adjustments still that will help greatly. I'll buy the tires but give the 7.5 another go but under a tamed profile. Happy to get another motor but if going to a stock class means updating firmware, getting cables etc etc then it will be a double expense hit.

Will follow up after I get to hit the track again.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
if you are going to run the 7.5, turn your throttle epa down to 70%. and increASE IT AS YOU BECOME MORE CONFIDENT. caps lock fail

also, lower your punch to 4
Old 05-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #13857
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Glad the rotor size got sorted out. Even at the same price, I'm happier with my Team Powers than I am with my Trinity.

More related question...

Should I get a SLRC chassis or not? I want more lateral grip.
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #13858
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lowering the EPA on the throttle is not the right way to change the amount of power the motor makes. Current limiters, punch control, throttle profiles, ect are the right ways to do it. Don't believe me? Go ahead and ask Randy Pike in any of the Tekin threads and he can give you the exact reasons why. Just because a lot of people do it, doesn't make it right.
Mantis Toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #13859
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
Lowering the EPA on the throttle is not the right way to change the amount of power the motor makes. Current limiters, punch control, throttle profiles, ect are the right ways to do it. Don't believe me? Go ahead and ask Randy Pike in any of the Tekin threads and he can give you the exact reasons why. Just because a lot of people do it, doesn't make it right.
And what exactly does it do poorly? I dislike changing throttle curves or epa, because having the right turn of motor always feel better. But for a new guy running a 7.5, I am in favor of turning down the power. lowering the punch only helps a little. and fyi, with the orion/hw esc's if you go below 4 it act weird. like a throttle lag. 4 is as low as I ever go with them. IMO a 7.5 is too much motor for a new driver. ideally you run a slower motor, but if you insist on running it, lowering the epa is fine and does not harm anything. you can also lower the motor timing, but that might also be minimal. lots of ways to skin the cat. epa is just and easy way to tune your power from the drivers stand.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #13860
Tech Regular

Quote:
And what exactly does it do poorly?
I don't know if it holds true with the newer speed controls and brushless motors but it use to cause excessive heat running a speedo turned down on the transmitter. The voltage had to go somewhere and that was heat. So i was told....