R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #13786
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedychris22 View Post
So has anyone tested the new shocks? Are they worth the price tag?
Value is only worth to the person buying. To some, $10 for wheel nuts is expensive, to another person, that's just part of the game for buying what they think or assume is a high quality part.

I use the MIP transmission, and love it.

To another, that's stupid expensive and not worth it at all.

I wanted to buy a new kit, and build a new setup from ground up. I race 2-3 times a week, and feel like I am rather hard on equipment because some in indoors and some is outdoors.

Instead of buying a new kit, these shock bodies and shock shafts were timed perfectly, so I went with piecing together and rebuilding the needed parts on my kit with the new shocks.


If you're in the D, C, or B main, the new shocks won't get you to the A main. They're not a magical setup, they won't win you races.

Do they provide a new piece to upgrade and personalize your car? Yes.

Is kashima coating badass? Yes

Do you need these to win? No.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #13787
Tech Regular
 
JeepnMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maple Valley, WA (TRCR)
Posts: 468
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
looks like a nice ride, just need to ditch the flysky.
Thank you for the compliment. The funny thing about the FlySky stuff. I have been running a Futaba 3PM-X for about 6 years. I bought the FlySky for a beach basher car of mine and started to like it. The menus kind of suck so I didn't think too much of it at first for use other than a toy car. After a while I started getting used to it and I have found over time that I liked it better than my Futaba radio so I started plopping it in my race buggies. I held on to the Futaba for a few months in case I wanted to roll back, but just recently sold it. I know it isn't the radio of choice for guys who race at a higher level, but for me (for now) I actually like it. It is light, responsive enough, and feels right in my hands.

To the guy picking at me for using heat shrink on my installs, kiss my grits I like the clean look and have never had a problem with it.
__________________
TRF801x - DB01RR - B5m Lite - TB03 - Variety Of Vintage Tamiya
JeepnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #13788
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 93
Default

The one welcome addition on the shocks will be the new shafts, they are getting rid of the e-clips, the pistons will now be screwed to the shafts. Tunnerman one of AE's offroad engineers was at our track this past weekend and had some with him
NWracer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #13789
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,934
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnMike View Post
Thank you for the compliment. The funny thing about the FlySky stuff. I have been running a Futaba 3PM-X for about 6 years. I bought the FlySky for a beach basher car of mine and started to like it. The menus kind of suck so I didn't think too much of it at first for use other than a toy car. After a while I started getting used to it and I have found over time that I liked it better than my Futaba radio so I started plopping it in my race buggies. I held on to the Futaba for a few months in case I wanted to roll back, but just recently sold it. I know it isn't the radio of choice for guys who race at a higher level, but for me (for now) I actually like it. It is light, responsive enough, and feels right in my hands.

To the guy picking at me for using heat shrink on my installs, kiss my grits I like the clean look and have never had a problem with it.
I used to use the fly sky stuff. I know a few people that were using them. Even the slow guys feel like the airtronics stuff is more connected. to each their own, I had it and it was ok. but receivers died like crazy and it would brown out for me. but if you like it, cool
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #13790
Tech Regular
 
Nat Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 423
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers82 View Post
Im having some setup issues, whenever i get on the brakes my car wants to dart quickley to the left instead of stopping straight, I thought it was because my brakes were too high but even if I turn them down same result? is this an issue with suspension or droop?
A number of different things can cause this:

1. One shock losing pressure faster than the other.
2. One bearing gritty and slowing down faster than the other.
3. Rear tires have uneven tread causing one to grip faster than the other
4. If you have a ball diff one side could have less lubrication causing slippage unevenly on one side. Only noticeable on short sharp stops.

In my experience I've always experienced some level of this but the reality is that in practice I've never braked that short and sharp (to require a direct stop) in an actual race for it to be a a noticeable distraction.

All the best
__________________
XB815 | XB416 | B5M | T5M | SC5M
FUTABA 4PX | LRP | SAVOX | XP

"The person saying it cannot be done should stop interrupting the person doing it"
Nat Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #13791
Tech Elite
 
stulec52's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,181
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to stulec52 Send a message via AIM to stulec52
Default

hey guys
I'm already running a B5M, and really like it, so I was thinking of buying another one.
My question is though, do I go Factory Lite or not??
likely the hottest motor I'll be running is 10.5

thoughts?
thanks !
__________________
www.pmhobbycraft.ca/store/
www.tamiyaclub.com/
stulec52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #13792
Tech Elite
 
Mizchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulec52 View Post
hey guys
I'm already running a B5M, and really like it, so I was thinking of buying another one.
My question is though, do I go Factory Lite or not??
likely the hottest motor I'll be running is 10.5

thoughts?
thanks !
Are you looking to run another 2wd class or refreshing the kit you have? I suppose light would make sense if you were going to run it stock then the kit you have now mod.
__________________
EB48.3 - RX8.2 T8.2 1900kv - Savox SB-2273SG
ET48.3 - RX8 T8.2 2000kv (truggy) - Savox SV-1270TG
Tekno Team Driver
AKA Racing
Mizchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #13793
Tech Elite
 
Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 4,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers82 View Post
Im having some setup issues, whenever i get on the brakes my car wants to dart quickley to the left instead of stopping straight, I thought it was because my brakes were too high but even if I turn them down same result? is this an issue with suspension or droop?
This could just be the plain old problem of uneven surface.. have you done this on some sort of flat asphalt or concrete?
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #13794
Tech Elite
 
stulec52's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,181
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to stulec52 Send a message via AIM to stulec52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizchief View Post
Are you looking to run another 2wd class or refreshing the kit you have? I suppose light would make sense if you were going to run it stock then the kit you have now mod.
yeah, just re-freshing mine, actually most likely handing it down to my son.
But the Factory Lite car is only worth using if running 17.5 or slower then?
Like I said, I'll be going up to 10.5 not full mod though.
__________________
www.pmhobbycraft.ca/store/
www.tamiyaclub.com/
stulec52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #13795
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulec52 View Post
yeah, just re-freshing mine, actually most likely handing it down to my son.
But the Factory Lite car is only worth using if running 17.5 or slower then?
Like I said, I'll be going up to 10.5 not full mod though.
The lite kit will be just fine for any motor. As long as you know how to set it up, it'll be just fine.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #13796
Tech Regular
 
chonchachencho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whittier
Posts: 357
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone tried the protek titanium axles?
chonchachencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #13797
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 312
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonchachencho View Post
Has anyone tried the protek titanium axles?

For $80 nope... They wold have to be jewel crusted. Amain has gone bat shit crazy with their pricing.
DustinEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #13798
Tech Initiate
 
Tmc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 29
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone have a guess as to if/when the kashima/fox shocks with the new shafts and pistons will be sold as a kit?

Thanks
Tmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #13799
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonchachencho View Post
Has anyone tried the protek titanium axles?
I ran them for 6 months and they're tremendous.

Are they durable? To a point. If you crash a lot, I would not recommend them. Are you a top 17.5 racer in your state or region? Buy them. They will drop 10-15 degrees on the motor temp over a 10 minute run.

They're merely an expensive piece of building the perfect driveline of a 17 5 car.
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #13800
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmc1 View Post
Does anyone have a guess as to if/when the kashima/fox shocks with the new shafts and pistons will be sold as a kit?

Thanks
I'm sure if you called AE customer service, or asked Sean Cochran here, they would be delighted to tell you.

Rear bodies are still oos, should be back in stock soon I was told
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:45 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net