R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 05-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #13681
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

After running ultra light weight cars for a few weeks I think that I prefer a car closer to 1500 grams. For the first time ever I can say that an AE box setup didn't work at all for me. My lite(s) with severe weight reduction were a handful out of the box and I had to make a lot of changes to make them work on our high traction sugared blue groove. Among the problems I encountered were low grip and not enough steering. As odd as it sounds when I tried to use a heavier battery pack, with no other changes, I lost steering!

I took a different approach with 2 very similar cars. For one, I used Kody N's OCRC set up and the other I used a normal sized pack(4400 vs 3250), added some droop in the front (21.25 mm), went to the outside shock position on the rear arm, and went with a grey spring in the rear. I picked up a second and a half with car 1 and my friend who is a sponsored driver for another company set the TQ and won stock buggy with car 2 (he doesn't have a stock buggy). Granted he's already fast, but he did smoke the field in a car he's never used and beat other friends that are competitive with him. It was an upset.

Anyway, when I bought my Lite I was supposed to run it totally out of the box stock and I couldn't do it....I'm going to buy another and try again. Its interesting what you learn by experimenting.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #13682
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
After running ultra light weight cars for a few weeks I think that I prefer a car closer to 1500 grams. For the first time ever I can say that an AE box setup didn't work at all for me. My lite(s) with severe weight reduction were a handful out of the box and I had to make a lot of changes to make them work on our high traction sugared blue groove. Among the problems I encountered were low grip and not enough steering. As odd as it sounds when I tried to use a heavier battery pack, with no other changes, I lost steering!

I took a different approach with 2 very similar cars. For one, I used Kody N's OCRC set up and the other I used a normal sized pack(4400 vs 3250), added some droop in the front (21.25 mm), went to the outside shock position on the rear arm, and went with a grey spring in the rear. I picked up a second and a half with car 1 and my friend who is a sponsored driver for another company set the TQ and won stock buggy with car 2 (he doesn't have a stock buggy). Granted he's already fast, but he did smoke the field in a car he's never used and beat other friends that are competitive with him. It was an upset.

Anyway, when I bought my Lite I was supposed to run it totally out of the box stock and I couldn't do it....I'm going to buy another and try again. Its interesting what you learn by experimenting.
Let me know when that virgin is up for sale - I am at a point where a whole new car will be a better option over completely rebuilding what I have now.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #13683
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Anybody have the widths on the JC wheels hexes? Planning on giving the +4 aluminum c mount a shot,and looking for 5mil hexes other than the FT.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #13684
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWIDAD View Post
Anybody have the widths on the JC wheels hexes? Planning on giving the +4 aluminum c mount a shot,and looking for 5mil hexes other than the FT.
Add 1mm to the JC front B5 hexes and you should be fine. You can make it up with some shims.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #13685
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
Add 1mm to the JC front B5 hexes and you should be fine. You can make it up with some shims.
Perfect. Just the info I was looking for. Thought the fronts kinda looked close to 5mil just wasn't sure. Thanks Matt
Old 05-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #13686
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Read glad AE has started to finally iron out some quality issues (at least I hope).

Finish my B5M lite and didn't run into any real problems. My previous 3 AE kits all had some sort of quality issues. Can't wait to run it and compare it to my old B5M.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #13687
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

Quality on all the new AE stuff is top notch. Fit and finish excellent and durability second to none now. The new RC10 B5 series has really set the bar. Now that AE sells the clear X rings the shocks don't leak anymore either. They have definitely closed the quality gap on Kyosho.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #13688

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I would agree, this is the nicest quality AE vehicle I have had since my gold pan. Now they just need to release me a 2wd short course truck that's the same.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #13689
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
I would agree, this is the nicest quality AE vehicle I have had since my gold pan. Now they just need to release me a 2wd short course truck that's the same.
I agree, the b5m lite was nice to build, no missing parts or anything like that. It's a easy to drive out of the box at my local track. Incidentally, it's the second buggy I have owned since the rc 10 gold pan (~1990 ) .

Looking forward to a 2wd AE mid motor scte, I have a had a hard time with my current sc10.2.
sp0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #13690
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Anybody run the regular b5m chassis close to 1500 grams then upgrade to lite chassis and add weight? How did times change?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:38 AM   #13691
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
Anybody run the regular b5m chassis close to 1500 grams then upgrade to lite chassis and add weight? How did times change?
Trimmings can comment on the lite chassis. The SLRC was never about weight, however it did cut 24 grams. That said, it is tremendous when it came to the added flex, and I've since brought weight back up to 1550, and it's added a ton of forgiving and smoothness it didn't have at 1430.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:49 AM   #13692
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anybody run 64 pitch gears what is the advantage?
joykiller44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:52 AM   #13693
Tech Elite

For the guys with the floppy pistons.. they make pills for that. But on a serious note, are you jumping supercross stuff week in and week out? I'm usually fighting to get the eclip on every time I make a change and my car is a year old
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:56 AM   #13694
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think AE quality is still pretty poor. When I built my Lite kit, I had several ball studs with no hexes in the head and several that were too short. Nothing major, but I've never had a single issue with a TLR, or Kyosho or Schum. kits.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #13695
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by joykiller44 View Post
anybody run 64 pitch gears what is the advantage?
Several guys do. They allow more precise adjustments to gearing.