R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 04-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #13201
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel_russ615 View Post
I bought the mid conversion kit and while assembling the tranny. I found that the bearing for the top shaft won't fit in the case properly. The right side of the case isn't allowing the bearing to seat all the way in. Has anyone else had this problem? It's the four gear tranny case in case that matters
As Ray mentioned, a running change has been made to include the new V2 gear case and top shaft with the regular B5M kit and the new cases got packaged with the latest round of conversion kits as well. AE is aware of the issue so if you contact them, let them know you need part #91530 to complete your conversion with the existing B5 steel top shaft and 6x12mm bearings. The case included with the conversion is #91552 which takes a 5x10mm bearing on either end as well as the new V2 aluminum top shaft.
carcrusher46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #13202
Tech Regular

Has anyone tried the JConcepts Dirt Webs outdoors?
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #13203
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnMike View Post
Yeah... yeah. I inflated the prices to support my story I would love to hear how the tires work out for after a few runs for you though. At my local track I think folks are intrigued to run them, but nobody is really running them yet for various reasons.
Last week my buddy wanted to try my set so I gave him my older set to try. He loved them so much paid me the 40$ to keep them. When our track gets water the tire stick like glue. I started to leave them on my car all day.

but now..

For some reason they are no longer working for me. We think the temp of the day is drying the track faster and my slicks stop working for me.

So it all depends on track conditions. I'm sure I have 20+ packs on my current set and they haven't torn apart. I was thinking next time to buy them in 2.2 and see what changes.
KrAcOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #13204
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossb View Post
Yes
Old 04-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #13205
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfast View Post
Yes
I guess you shouldn't have asked it as a yes or no question.

How do the jconcepts dirt webs preform outdoors?

All sold: RC8.2E--Tekin RX8 1900kv, DEX408--Tekin RX8 1900kv, SC104x4--RX8 Pro4 4000kv, E-Revo Brushless, Hpi Sprint 2 Drift, Airtronics mt-4,
jjahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #13206
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjahn View Post
I guess you shouldn't have asked it as a yes or no question.

How do the jconcepts dirt webs preform outdoors?
They were pretty good in damp to drying, packed, dusty conditions. I think there are some better options, but it will have to be something you just try out and see if it works for you.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #13207
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfast View Post
It comes down to your tire prep and gluing ability.
I wish this was just the case. The tearing is occurring in the rubber just beyond the point of glue adhesion so its like folding the tire in half and the break point is that middle part. My experience on this so far is with Primes. (haven't run smoothies since January) Perhaps excess glue is creating some sort of edge causing the damage when the rubber is compressed over it during cornering but its definitely not due to too little glue/peeling off the rim. The rubber itself is failing in the thickest part of these tires. I cannot see it being a heat issue when my tires are topping out at 91-92F so far. We are not even running traction compound since a track change 2 weeks ago.

---

And to share my recent experience with the pro-line closed cell foams, they are much better than the first go around in regards to shedding or being useful for writing on a chalkboard but I still would not consider them for re-use unless they have been duct taped in the first set of tires. This would go for aka's as well. (These might be fine for outdoor treaded tires where the tire is shot before the foams) All of these seem to be designed and tested for Mr. Travel racer who dumps tires at the end of a race weekend. As a local Joe I refuse/can't afford to race like that. Much of my business deals with families and there's no way Mom & Dad are buying tires 2-3 times a month for themselves and the kids. Fortunately for us most of those families aren't in the hot shot classes so its not an issue right now.

---

On a separate tire issue, I'm to the point that it's just more economical price and more consistent performance wise for ME to dremel up slicks out of the thicker 2.2 tires. There seems to be far more useful contact patch life out of those.

For the 'economical' guys like myself you might have decent lifespan/performance luck with the taped up aka/proline closed cells but the JConcepts dirt-techs take quite a few race days to break in without modifications to the foam.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #13208
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrAcOn View Post
When our track gets water the tire stick like glue. I started to leave them on my car all day.

but now..

For some reason they are no longer working for me. We think the temp of the day is drying the track faster and my slicks stop working for me.

So it all depends on track conditions.
KrAcOn:

In my experience, the best tires for LRH are very low tread but not full out slicks. Slicks are, or can be good when the track rebuild is new... the first few days to week. After that, very worn in treads are the way to go.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #13209
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

B5M on way from tower can't wait to try it should out perform my B4.1 worlds car!!!
Old 04-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #13210
Tech Elite

Quote:
I haven't in 1/10 scale but think they would work if you have hard pack with light dust and/or damp.

I run them on the ebuggy when the sun goes down and the track has more moisture where normally run gridirons or something similar during the day when it's dryer.

Our indoor track is pretty much slicks all the time now, but when the track is more green and softer dirt webs are the go to.
AKA Racing
Mizchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #13211
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

Very slowly started on the Lite. I built the shocks first with a set X of rings and a set of Imbue brass shock pistons. I wanted to try the pistons out. Other than that I'm really going to go box stock even though I have pucks, ti screws, ti axles, slipper eliminator, ti ballstuds, etc etc waiting for the car. Looking through the kit I'm really impressed. There are some small things that make a big difference (to me). For example, they give you an older style FT 2 plate slipper and a 69 spur. It also comes with white/white springs and 32.5 oil which should be perfect. They really made it so that you could run it out of the box.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #13212
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrusher46 View Post
As Ray mentioned, a running change has been made to include the new V2 gear case and top shaft with the regular B5M kit and the new cases got packaged with the latest round of conversion kits as well. AE is aware of the issue so if you contact them, let them know you need part #91530 to complete your conversion with the existing B5 steel top shaft and 6x12mm bearings. The case included with the conversion is #91552 which takes a 5x10mm bearing on either end as well as the new V2 aluminum top shaft.
i contacted associated and they're sending me the correct gear case. thanks for the help
mel_russ615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #13213
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

is there no diff rebuild kit from associated for the b5m? i see you can buy the parts separately. is there no kit that includes the rings and diff/thrust balls and thrust bearing pieces together? i was told i could get the mip kit but i looked and it says it's for the mip diff
mel_russ615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #13214
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

Quote:
is there no diff rebuild kit from associated for the b5m? i see you can buy the parts separately. is there no kit that includes the rings and diff/thrust balls and thrust bearing pieces together? i was told i could get the mip kit but i looked and it says it's for the mip diff
The MIP kit works.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #13215
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Lofreq

Quote:

ASC7677 diff rebuild kit.

http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/...oduct_line=all