R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 03-31-2015, 03:00 AM   #12766
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Racerbucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Moving your ballstud up and down doesn't measure the rollcenter any more than putting more paint on your body measures your center of gravity. Sure it can be lowered or raised, but measuring the point along the center-line of the chassis is something else entirely.

Nevermind.. don't have the energy.

I get what you're saying, but you can't measure that point in space that you are referring to. So when someone says the raised ot lowered it by 2mm, the only assumption you can make from common knowledge is that he obviously means ball stud washers.
Racerbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:15 PM   #12767
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbucky View Post
I get what you're saying, but you can't measure that point in space that you are referring to. So when someone says the raised ot lowered it by 2mm, the only assumption you can make from common knowledge is that he obviously means ball stud washers.
Sure you can... but it's not easy.. which is why I was intrigued if he figured out a way to actually get a RC height measurement from his car.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #12768
Super Moderator

No more bashing the community.. no more bashing members in this thread (or any thread)... stick to talking about the B5m.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 03-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #12769
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

There are formulas for measuring roll center you can use to graph changes. You can also take camber measurements at ride height, full extension and full compression to plot those changes.
But the best thing is feel on the track really. Although the formulas are cool to know though.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:06 PM   #12770

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Sometimes the feel isn't even good enough. It may feel better in a corner or two that you have been struggling with but slower on the rest of the track. That's the glory of tuning. There are multiple ways to skin a cat and tons of interactions between suspension changes. In the end, the guy who crosses the line first is the winner.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #12771
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So I am just getting back into after a 5 year hiatus and just picked up a B5M gonna run stock for a bit what kind of things do I need to do to the buggy to be competitive? (aftermarket parts) Thanks
Old 03-31-2015, 06:59 PM   #12772
Tech Rookie

I know this might not even get posted, but I've been reading this thread for a while and it seems like a big part of the problem is a certain mod. Always posting like an elitist pr!ck. Then people get on here and defend the little guy because they don't like the way stuff is being said. Then the mod returns and deletes all of their posts, but is sure to leave his a-hole comments. People are sick of this attitude. Mods should be promoting a friendly environment and setting the example. We need change and new leadership. It's time for a mutiny, captain.
spoonycoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 PM   #12773
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHavo View Post
So I am just getting back into after a 5 year hiatus and just picked up a B5M gonna run stock for a bit what kind of things do I need to do to the buggy to be competitive? (aftermarket parts) Thanks
I would look at the first post on this thread.

Since you are just getting back in I wouldn't worry yet about all of the things to buy. Just get back to driving consistently and learning. Then as you go forward pick up stuff you might want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonycoot View Post
I know this might not even get posted, but I've been reading this thread for a while and it seems like a big part of the problem is a certain mod. Always posting like an elitist pr!ck. Then people get on here and defend the little guy because they don't like the way stuff is being said. Then the mod returns and deletes all of their posts, but is sure to leave his a-hole comments. People are sick of this attitude. Mods should be promoting a friendly environment and setting the example. We need change and new leadership. It's time for a mutiny, captain.
Sorry captain, I don't see a change in leadership anytime soon.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #12774
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonycoot View Post
I assume you are referring to me. I don't consider myself elite by any stretch... Im just opinionated, but express such opinions within the letter and spirit of the site. I spend countless hours of my own free time keeping this place a clean and friendly environment where people can come talk about RC. A large part of my time is taken up cleaning up bogus accounts, such as yours, created for no other reason then to come into threads like this, and create and spread drama.

And you're right, I do delete posts... I delete any post where people come in here and outright talk crap or trash talk the RC community as a whole, or everybody in this thread as a whole, (which has happened a half dozen times in this thread in particular, over the last few weeks) or who spout out personal insults, just like you have here. Leaving those posts UP is what creates a bad environment.

Seriously.. this is like the 10th warning by as many moderators in the last month. Lets stay on topic... The B5m.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 PM   #12775
Super Moderator

The B5M took the top honor spot in the NIS season long series up here in the NW this last weekend. Team driver Michael Schoettler was/is just unstoppable in is AE. This kid pushes the car to it's absolute LIMIT, every single lap.. lap after lap. It is a joy watching this guy run laps. I am pretty sure he took every TQ, and every win through the entire series across all the tracks up here.

Look at this young guy pilot his reedy powered B5m... looks like this car is attached to the track like a slot car. This is a kid who's top 5, top 10, and top 15 tends to be within a tenth, more or less. Way to go, Michael.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6QmH1RJh3U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Zdk6By7iDDY
- RCSpecialties -

Last edited by Cpt.America; 03-31-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:39 PM   #12776
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHavo View Post
If your running mod then nothing. 'Stock' on the other hand...

Too be honest I would concentrate on practicing your driving, this accounts for 90% of your end result

"The person saying it cannot be done should stop interrupting the person doing it"
Nat Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #12777
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Avila View Post
I was going to put a Futaba 9551 low pro servo in mine but the side where the wires come out the servo is in the way for me to screw in the blue aluminum servo holder. Is there a way I can make it fit without forcing it and pinching the servo wires???
I use the same servo in mine. I took the bottom of the servo case off and used my dremel a bit to widen the cutout where the wires come out. A new case is cheap if I decide to move the servo to another car down the road, but it keeps most of the pressure off of the wires.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:58 AM   #12778
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
I assume you are referring to me. I don't consider myself elite by any stretch... Im just opinionated, but express such opinions within the letter and spirit of the site. I spend countless hours of my own free time keeping this place a clean and friendly environment where people can come talk about RC. A large part of my time is taken up cleaning up bogus accounts, such as yours, created for no other reason then to come into threads like this, and create and spread drama.

And you're right, I do delete posts... I delete any post where people come in here and outright talk crap or trash talk the RC community as a whole, or everybody in this thread as a whole, (which has happened a half dozen times in this thread in particular, over the last few weeks) or who spout out personal insults, just like you have here. Leaving those posts UP is what creates a bad environment.

Seriously.. this is like the 10th warning by as many moderators in the last month. Lets stay on topic... The B5m.
Amen!
gearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #12779
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I missed the "big race" last weekend but got to run last night on the layout with the track still have very good grip, my car was very good, rotated well and was fast. I managed one hero lap of the night, but a few only .1-.2 slower ended up 2nd in the main. Here is a video of the track from the weekend:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...message_bubble
Old 04-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #12780

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I like that simple flowing layout and the surface looks like modeling clay or play dough. Nice looking track. I also like the hustle the marshals put into their efforts. I know I am probably in the minority but I love marshaling. It was kind of hard to see on the back stretch but it looks like the race was decided by a bobble in the far corner? Nice close racing otherwise.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote