R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #12721
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Apr. 13th according to amain.com.

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/team-as...c90000/p427148
sp0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #12722
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
This is correct. I haven't even watched the video but the tires have nothing to do with forces being different between the 3 and 4 gear transmissions.

If you're running 4 gear and want to lift the nose you hit the throttle, right?

If you're running 3 gear and want to lift the nose you still hit the throttle, right?

That means the tires would have to be off to isolate any differences in movement of the chassis between the two transmission types.
Same as when its jumping, to raise the nose you nail the throttle, the mass of the tires will raise the nose. There isnt enough mass in the rotor to change the attitude of the buggy.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #12723
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE B5M BODY WILL FIT THE C4.2??? or any b5m parts that fit the c4.2. i know someone told me that the diffs work.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #12724
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyanator609 View Post
DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE B5M BODY WILL FIT THE C4.2??? or any b5m parts that fit the c4.2. i know someone told me that the diffs work.
ITS POSSIBLE, ANYTHING CAN FIT IF YOU GET CREATIVE WITH IT... Not much carries over. The B4.2 diff will fit.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #12725
Tech Regular

I thought people were modding the c4.2 finisher body to fit the b5 at one point too...The ballcups should fit too...lol
Old 03-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #12726
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee111m View Post
I thought people were modding the c4.2 finisher body to fit the b5 at one point too...The ballcups should fit too...lol
I meant FROM b5m TO c4.2
Old 03-29-2015, 05:27 AM   #12727
Tech Adept

Im looking for more steering on my b5m. Anyone care to comment on this matter. Ty
Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #12728

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Im looking for more steering on my b5m. Anyone care to comment on this matter. Ty
What's your current setup? I'm looking for just a bit more exit steering so I was planning on trying an extra limiter or two in the front shocks.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #12729
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I am playing with 25-0 on high bite. you could also play with the +3mm trailing. stiffer rear springs. locally we have been going to really stiff springs for 17.5 orange fronts and yellow rears. Also, I went back to gulwings with the stiff springs.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:59 AM   #12730
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannow View Post
I posted a video on another post debating mm3 vs mm4 but it didn't seem to catch on.
This is what I wrote if it can be of any interest to somebody here as it was done on my b5m:

"I'd say it's negligible.(about mm3 vs mm4)
Sorry I just did this video for your question. The quality is crap and it's loud (turn the volume down a bit for the squeal of the motor):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DATXwtVJoSY
The car is on water not touching anything else. The test speaks for itself.
I tried several axis. I can feel resistance (very light) on the vertical axis with no rotation direction preference but pretty much none one the other two.
Certainly no movements on it's own. So changing direction shouldn't make any odds or to me at least it's negligible.

I'm open to any theory/counter theory as I once contemplated the idea too."
I think your test was one of the most brilliant and innovative things I have seen on rc tech in a long time. It certainly answers the question of gyroscopic effect, 3 gear vs 4 gear transmission. I have two B5M's, one with 3 gear transmission and the other with 4 gear. I can't tell the difference on the track and you have demonstrated why.

Excellent creative thinking to devise such an innovative test.
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #12731

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm currently at 25-0 and the axle is inline which gives the most aggressive steering. Those are some crazy stiff springs! My setup is close. I think I could win with it with decent competition but my corner speed is limited by the push mid to exit. Shoot, I might be close enough that a bit of extra ride height in the rear might be enough.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #12732
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ok for you guys that have ACTUALLY done all the lightweight mods(ie pucks,3 gear,chassis swap,etc) what are you seeing for lap time differences between the box stock car and the lightweight setup. I only have titanium screws and 3 gear and I gained maybe 2 tenths but I dropped 50degrees or more of heat
Old 03-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #12733
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Go to a 1mms spacer on the Ackerman link. I promise it will help
Old 03-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #12734
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
I'm currently at 25-0 and the axle is inline which gives the most aggressive steering. Those are some crazy stiff springs! My setup is close. I think I could win with it with decent competition but my corner speed is limited by the push mid to exit. Shoot, I might be close enough that a bit of extra ride height in the rear might be enough.
look at the picture of Kamryn's car from cactus. orange front and yellow rears. 1.4x3 front and 1.6 rear with about 32.5/30 oils

Old 03-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #12735
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I get your point but there is no perfect RC car. If every track was exactly the same, with exactly the same traction level all the way around, and every driver drove exactly the same, I think an optimal chassis setup and tire compound/tread profile could be engineered without too much trouble.
But even on the same track, conditions vary on different corners or jumps. You can have huge differences in traction level and how smooth the surface is within a few feet traveled.
The interaction between a race car, RC or full size, and the track enviironment is incredibly complex. That's part of why we keep getting new cars with new adjustments and geometries. Another reason is improvements in materials and manufacturing that make the cars more durable and or easier to work on.
All accurate statements. Although I will point out that when cars had aluminum chassis and someone released one with a composite it was scoffed at...initially. Then they all used composite chassis. Even today some use composite, some aluminum and cars are more adjustable than ever, even allowing transmissions to be turned 180 degrees, wheelbase alterations, on and on.

The bottom line is these debates have been raging since I started racing in 1985. Although much has changed, the majority is exactly the same, other than Internet debates added into the bench racing debate.

Everyone buys new cars looking for the wins, but the same guys win at local tracks and major events as with the previous design.
Like buying an Apple product. You don't need it, but you want the latest version.

I just don't get the arguing as if somebody knows what's really best in spite of it all. Which was my original point.

Keep it fun, that's all that really matters in the end.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote