R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #12706
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hilarious...The video just shows how crazy we all are when comes to rc cars! I agree, EPIC and I'm sure the wife enjoyed you using the master bathroom sink as a testing area!!!!
mrueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #12707
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim View Post
Not much about engineering is factual in the end product. If it was they would have engineered the perfect car a long time ago and we could stop buying new ones over and over trying to find perfection.

Just sayin'
I get your point but there is no perfect RC car. If every track was exactly the same, with exactly the same traction level all the way around, and every driver drove exactly the same, I think an optimal chassis setup and tire compound/tread profile could be engineered without too much trouble.

But even on the same track, conditions vary on different corners or jumps. You can have huge differences in traction level and how smooth the surface is within a few feet traveled.

The interaction between a race car, RC or full size, and the track enviironment is incredibly complex. That's part of why we keep getting new cars with new adjustments and geometries. Another reason is improvements in materials and manufacturing that make the cars more durable and or easier to work on.
38.4 percent of RC tuning is 75 percent placebo effect
87.26 percent of statistics are just made up
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #12708
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrueye View Post
Hilarious...The video just shows how crazy we all are when comes to rc cars! I agree, EPIC and I'm sure the wife enjoyed you using the master bathroom sink as a testing area!!!!
You all need to chill out. Give the guy some credit I don't see anyone else, myself included trying to do any testing other than wearing out tires. This guy was curious so he gave it a shot. Pretty sad how quick everyone is to jump this guys rear for no reason.

Any who, I was wondering if anyone runs ceramic diff balls and if so what do you think?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #12709
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post

But even on the same track, conditions vary on different corners or jumps. You can have huge differences in traction level and how smooth the surface is within a few feet traveled.
Well said. And what works for me on a smooth clay track that has more traction than asphalt has literally no bearing on what works on an outdoor track. I just saw video of the JC super cup track, and it's like nothing we have here in AZ. So me telling people how great "XX" part performs here is really only relevant to my experiences here.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #12710
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter36 View Post
You all need to chill out. Give the guy some credit I don't see anyone else, myself included trying to do any testing other than wearing out tires. This guy was curious so he gave it a shot. Pretty sad how quick everyone is to jump this guys rear for no reason.

Any who, I was wondering if anyone runs ceramic diff balls and if so what do you think?
For the thrust they're awesome. For the diff, it'll matter the application. If not set correctly, they can ruin a set of rings quickly. They need to be set tight, and the rings can not be polished. I have experience with 1 diff I built, and it worked well. I however have gone back to the carbide balls because the ceramics did not allow a range of adjustment in my experience.

Now cue iScream and several others to tell me I'm wrong...
Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #12711
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
For the thrust they're awesome. For the diff, it'll matter the application. If not set correctly, they can ruin a set of rings quickly. They need to be set tight, and the rings can not be polished. I have experience with 1 diff I built, and it worked well. I however have gone back to the carbide balls because the ceramics did not allow a range of adjustment in my experience.

Now cue iScream and several others to tell me I'm wrong...
I have actually heard that very same statement from a few bench racers at the track. So it seems like you have experience with them, even if it's not much. I built a diff with them and man it's smooth but I'm worried it's gonna blow in a couple runs. I have it set tight too.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #12712
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
I've run them before. Risk vs. reward, they're not worth it IMO. A PROPERLY broke in diff with carbide balls in the diff and ceramics in the thrust will last months.

as for all the back and forth bickering, just knock it off....sheesh

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #12713
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have actually heard that very same statement from a few bench racers at the track. So it seems like you have experience with them, even if it's not much. I built a diff with them and man it's smooth but I'm worried it's gonna blow in a couple runs. I have it set tight too.
If it's set "tight" it's not likely to blow. Like Socket said, the issue with them is the small tuning window. That's what tends to get most people into trouble.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #12714
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cautrell05 View Post
That there is exactly why sub forums were suggested and unfortunately dismissed.
Sub-forums are an excellent idea, in THEORY! Look around, people don't put stuff where it belongs now! People can't find the right section half the time let alone a correct thread, now you want/expect them to find and use a correct sub-forum. In the perfect world were you seem to be from, great idea. Here in reality where the rest of us live, we all realize it's not.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #12715
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
I've run them before. Risk vs. reward, they're not worth it IMO. A PROPERLY broke in diff with carbide balls in the diff and ceramics in the thrust will last months.

as for all the back and forth bickering, just knock it off....sheesh
I agree, the car diff i got off u recently is still awesome shape. I rebuilt it cause thats how I am..... using same parts and its still awesome.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #12716
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6cj View Post
I agree, the car diff i got off u recently is still awesome shape. I rebuilt it cause thats how I am..... using same parts and its still awesome.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #12717
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Twotan

When out yesterday for the first time with a B5M and love it. Now my son wants one for himself. I guess I will be looking at the sale section.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #12718

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Yeah, I have been driving my kids car. Hope he doesn't want to run it over the summer. He has been using my Tekno SCT410 so I guess we are even. This is a superior car to any other AE product that I have owned since my gold pan.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #12719
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anybody know when the jconcepts wing mounts are supposed to be available?
Old 03-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #12720
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any updates on when B5M lite will be available, is it still mid April?
tekin112000 is offline   Reply With Quote