Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbckevin
That just wasted a minute of my life that I cannot get back.
Amazingly mature and constructive comment. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shannow
I posted a video on another post debating mm3 vs mm4 but it didn't seem to catch on.
This is what I wrote if it can be of any interest to somebody here as it was done on my b5m:

"I'd say it's negligible.(about mm3 vs mm4)
Sorry I just did this video for your question. The quality is crap and it's loud (turn the volume down a bit for the squeal of the motor):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DATXwtVJoSY
The car is on water not touching anything else. The test speaks for itself.
I tried several axis. I can feel resistance (very light) on the vertical axis with no rotation direction preference but pretty much none one the other two.
Certainly no movements on it's own. So changing direction shouldn't make any odds or to me at least it's negligible.

I'm open to any theory/counter theory as I once contemplated the idea too."
May not have caught on because the video doesn't show anything. %99.9 of what torques the car/chassis forward or rearward, is the rotation mass of the drive wheels, inserts, and tires tires. Since you did this test with them removed, you might as well have done nothing at all.

(oh p.s... you need a new antenna tube)
Old 03-27-2015, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Amazingly mature and constructive comment. Thanks.
Your video does nothing....put some tires on it and try it again.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:28 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I think that was the point he was trying to make. If you remove the tires from the equation the rest of the rotation of the drive train makes next to no difference.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bds81175
I think that was the point he was trying to make. If you remove the tires from the equation the rest of the rotation of the drive train makes next to no difference.
He was trying to say that 3 and 4 gear made little to no difference but then he tested it without one of the critical items of the equation. Making this experiment useless.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bds81175
If only we raced right on our axles
Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

The tires go the same direction with a 3 gear as they do with 4 gear, but the debate is what effect motor rotation has on the cars attitude. It seems that you would need to have the tires off to test for those effects.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raceguy13
The tires go the same direction with a 3 gear as they do with 4 gear, but the debate is what effect motor rotation has on the cars attitude. It seems that you would need to have the tires off to test for those effects.
Gonna have to agree
Old 03-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

Would be simpler to do the same setup on a flat surface with the camera showing the shock action/chassis attitude change.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:03 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

And it's not like anyone had to pay to watch his video. Cut the dude some slack...especially given that his test is basically valid for what he was testing for.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Or instead of debating the semantics of it, you try the only test that matters. Actually trying it on a racetrack.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Yes that was the whole point of the video.

The tires would only interfere with what the motor's direction effect does on the car. That's indeed why I took them off as they don't change direction.

I did try before to put the car in a way to show the action/shocks but nothing happens at all. The effect is too small to be perceived.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I posted a video on another post debating mm3 vs mm4 but it didn't seem to catch on.
This is what I wrote if it can be of any interest to somebody here as it was done on my b5m:

"I'd say it's negligible.(about mm3 vs mm4)
Sorry I just did this video for your question. The quality is crap and it's loud (turn the volume down a bit for the squeal of the motor):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DATXwtVJoSY
The car is on water not touching anything else. The test speaks for itself.
I tried several axis. I can feel resistance (very light) on the vertical axis with no rotation direction preference but pretty much none one the other two.
Certainly no movements on it's own. So changing direction shouldn't make any odds or to me at least it's negligible.

I'm open to any theory/counter theory as I once contemplated the idea too."
That video is epic.

Pure epic. It's worth what we all paid, that's for sure.

Great idea, the execution, isn't scientific at all. I would recommend reading what the scientific method is, and learning more about it.

Then sit down and learn the equations of inertia and newton's law. Do the calculation based on weight and rpm of the motor and drivetrain, then balance those numbers against the same equation for the axles, wheels inserts and tires. Don't forget the different radius the items have, and also figure that in with specific weights.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Tech Lord

It's not the tires spinning really.. its the torque of the motor going AGAINST the weight of the mass of the drivetrain that torques the car in the opposite direction.

lets move on to the B5m.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This is correct. I haven't even watched the video but the tires have nothing to do with forces being different between the 3 and 4 gear transmissions.

If you're running 4 gear and want to lift the nose you hit the throttle, right?

If you're running 3 gear and want to lift the nose you still hit the throttle, right?

That means the tires would have to be off to isolate any differences in movement of the chassis between the two transmission types.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.