R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 03-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #12586
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
If you're having battery issues after 7 minutes, then I'd say you have a much larger issue than weight.
+1
My car is 1544g and I can EASILY run 10+ minutes at full tilt with a 4200shorty. Either your timing and gearing are maxed beyond the limit or you have a bind issue.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #12587
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba View Post
+1
My car is 1544g and I can EASILY run 10+ minutes at full tilt with a 4200shorty. Either your timing and gearing are maxed beyond the limit or you have a bind issue.
Maybe he's referring to just a loss of punch, as opposed to the battery merely lasting the duration of the race? I don't know either way, but just pointing out another possibility.

For the track I run at, my car is pretty good clearing a particular jump earlier in the race, but as it wears on I lose just enough punch that that same jump gets more and more risky due to the slight decrease in power. Maybe that's similar to what the OP was experiencing?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #12588
Tech Addict

Just got my new Trinity D4 (1s Short Stack) in the mail and installed it last night. The mounting holes for the motor are only on the "bottom" half of the motor (not 360 degrees around). I guess this thing is geared towards touring cars. The downside for me (and my 4 gear trans) is that the wire mounts on the motor are now angled pretty significantly toward the rear of the car. Looks like I'll need longer wires....unless there's a way to "clock" the case on the motor, but I don't think that's possible.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #12589
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Triple we are struggling with is very long for a 17.5 blinky buggy. Buggy can run full tilt but the triple is where it becomes questionable towards the end of the race.
Micah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #12590
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Just got my new Trinity D4 (1s Short Stack) in the mail and installed it last night. The mounting holes for the motor are only on the "bottom" half of the motor (not 360 degrees around). I guess this thing is geared towards touring cars. The downside for me (and my 4 gear trans) is that the wire mounts on the motor are now angled pretty significantly toward the rear of the car. Looks like I'll need longer wires....unless there's a way to "clock" the case on the motor, but I don't think that's possible.
Yes you can. Take out the three screws like you were going to disassemble the motor and take out the rotor. However, don't disassemble it. Once the screws are backed out far enough you should be able to rotate that bottom plate to the needed location to mount it to the motor plate. Then just tighten the three screws and you are all set. Sorry, if I had a picture it would help but I hope this made sense.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #12591
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Yes you can. Take out the three screws like you were going to disassemble the motor and take out the rotor. However, don't disassemble it. Once the screws are backed out far enough you should be able to rotate that bottom plate to the needed location to mount it to the motor plate. Then just tighten the three screws and you are all set. Sorry, if I had a picture it would help but I hope this made sense.
This - There is only one of the 3 mounting positions that works in a buggy, just keep trying them until you find it
Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #12592
Tech Addict

Well, y'all were right! That's the way to reclock the motor mounting holes. Unfortunately, that moved the solder tabs *too* far forward and they now interfere with the waterfall. D'oh! Looks like I'll have to put it back the way it was and get some longer wire leads.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #12593
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:

It is possible. On the pinion side of the motor, you can turn where the motor mount holes are. Take out all three front plate mount screws and rotate the Plate. Trinity is unable to predict what car it's used in, so they leave it to the end user to choose.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #12594
Suspended

Quote:
Maybe he's referring to just a loss of punch, as opposed to the battery merely lasting the duration of the race? I don't know either way, but just pointing out another possibility.

For the track I run at, my car is pretty good clearing a particular jump earlier in the race, but as it wears on I lose just enough punch that that same jump gets more and more risky due to the slight decrease in power. Maybe that's similar to what the OP was experiencing?

Still sounds like a battery issue to me.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #12595
Tech Addict

Thanks! Yep, that's what I found. Unfortunately, that leaves three positions for the solder tabs and the default one turned out to be best for my application. It's not ideal, but I'll make do.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #12596
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah123 View Post
Triple we are struggling with is very long for a 17.5 blinky buggy. Buggy can run full tilt but the triple is where it becomes questionable towards the end of the race.
Heat and a bad battery leads to the fade you're experiencing. Get better IR, and figure out how to lower the motor heat and you'll see this effect fade.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #12597
Tech Addict

Quote:
Still sounds like a battery issue to me.
Ultimately, yes, but I think it's reasonable to expect some degree of degradation (even if just slight) through the course of a run as voltage drops and heat builds up. Until we know the degree of degradation it's tough to say.

From what the orig. poster described, it sounds like a reasonable situation that doesn't necessarily point to any faulty equipment....just a desire to optimize everything so he can make that triple late in the race.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #12598
Suspended

Quote:
Thanks! Yep, that's what I found. Unfortunately, that leaves three positions for the solder tabs and the default one turned out to be best for my application. It's not ideal, but I'll make do.
Post a pic. The solider tabs should be straight up like my car.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #12599
Tech Addict

Quote:
Post a pic. The solider tabs should be straight up like my car.
Sure thing! Here you go. The main difference may be 3 vs. 4 gear trans?

Clearly, this isn't the end of the world, but I was hoping to get the solder tabs up top. Nothing longer wires won't solve, though!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #12600
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Sure thing! Here you go. The main difference may be 3 vs. 4 gear trans?

Clearly, this isn't the end of the world, but I was hoping to get the solder tabs up top. Nothing longer wires won't solve, though!
I had a d3.5 and it was like that out of the box. I was able to get straight up with a 4 gear tranny by adjusting the ring