R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #12511
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post
Curious why you are running the "mid" tower with the flat arms?
It was something we were trying at TRCR for a while. I ran it half the day last weekend, and ran the B5 tower the latter half. They both work well. Car feel is slightly different.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #12512
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
It was something we were trying at TRCR for a while. I ran it half the day last weekend, and ran the B5 tower the latter half. They both work well. Car feel is slightly different.
In what way?
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #12513
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsRacin View Post
In what way?
It's hard to put your finger on it, really. The only real change I could perceive, is the front end seems to roll a tad less... Steering was slightly more responsive (maybe). The B5 tower feels like it might be slightly easier to drive. I have settled (for now), on the matching B5 tower. It's difficult to nail down... you WANT to try both towers on the same day, same tires, etc... but the track itself changes fast through the day, so with something that makes such a subtle difference, it's hard to tell if it's the tower?, the clay?, tires are slightly more broken in than the last run?.... etc.. I don't think going back or forth will really change your lap times.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #12514
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
It's hard to put your finger on it, really. The only real change I could perceive, is the front end seems to roll a tad less... Steering was slightly more responsive (maybe). The B5 tower feels like it might be slightly easier to drive. I have settled (for now), on the matching B5 tower. It's difficult to nail down... you WANT to try both towers on the same day, same tires, etc... but the track itself changes fast through the day, so with something that makes such a subtle difference, it's hard to tell if it's the tower?, the clay?, tires are slightly more broken in than the last run?.... etc.. I don't think going back or forth will really change your lap times.
Yeah I can see how difficult it is to judge changes, especially on practice days when the track can go hours sometimes without being swept and is inconsistent. Ill Have to try both out and see what I like. I put the rear motor arms on front and rear and it may have made it a little too lazy. I don't want it twitchy just a little more responsive. Thanks again
Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #12515
Tech Regular

The other thing is changing a camber link by 1mm or so is a lot easier and will have effect you want
Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #12516
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Does anyone know where there is a new kit available? Mine is due for replacing.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #12517
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter36 View Post
Does anyone know where there is a new kit available? Mine is due for replacing.
Tower Hobbies has the mid motor kit. The Factory Lite kit isn't out yet.

All sold: RC8.2E--Tekin RX8 1900kv, DEX408--Tekin RX8 1900kv, SC104x4--RX8 Pro4 4000kv, E-Revo Brushless, Hpi Sprint 2 Drift, Airtronics mt-4,
jjahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #12518
Tech Elite

If I were to buy a B5M for carpet. Would I need to change any parts to be truly competitive? I have read back about 15-20 pages but didn't get any answers. The 3 or 4 gear thing is a bit of a mystery since I havn't ran since the B3.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #12519
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
If I were to buy a B5M for carpet. Would I need to change any parts to be truly competitive? I have read back about 15-20 pages but didn't get any answers. The 3 or 4 gear thing is a bit of a mystery since I havn't ran since the B3.
I would run it box stock with rear motor front arms and go from there. I don't think you really need to worry about too much until you see how it does at your track
Old 03-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #12520
mes
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
If it is real high bite carpet, getting a brass bulkhead and a 3-gear gearbox or the Redworkshop low-rider seems to be make sense from my experiences with the almost box-stock kit last weekend. As a car that was designed for clay tracks, it would be unfair to compare it with a carpet design right out of the box. A 3-gear B5M finished second at that race, and a 4-gear B5M came in sixth IIRC, so it seems to be capable enough.
mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #12521
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Long links, heavier oil, and and the low rider kit and run more neg camber and the car should be pretty dialed.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #12522
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

IMHO the only mandatory part the B5M needs is the aluminum rear ball stud mount. That's probably why the new car comes with it. Everybody, including myself, wastes a bunch of money on stuff that we do not need. I bet each of my cars has $300 worth of stuff that might give me a tenth or two. I'm man enough to admit it.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #12523
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I bet each of my cars has $300 worth of stuff that might give me a tenth or two. I'm man enough to admit it.
I think you are right. My old B4.2 had enough new parts you could hardly tell it was a B4.2. It certainly never went enough faster than stock to make up for one crash in a race...
Old 03-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #12524
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
IMHO the only mandatory part the B5M needs is the aluminum rear ball stud mount. That's probably why the new car comes with it. Everybody, including myself, wastes a bunch of money on stuff that we do not need. I bet each of my cars has $300 worth of stuff that might give me a tenth or two. I'm man enough to admit it.
haha, I did most of my upgrades for motor temps....stupid 17.5 class. I like that this car has its weight lowered out of the box for stock. All I would add to the "Lite" car is the pucks and probably the Avid slipper. Maybe a shapeways fan waterfall for as well.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #12525
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just an observation on the sub forums not trying to beat the dead horse. Rccrawler,pirate4x4 and several others operate the way people have mentioned and honestly its not really any better just eliminates some of the chit chat that takes up space on a general thread like this one. Back on b5m talk I ran my 3gear mm today on our local outdoor track and even though the track was blown out and rough my car was DIALED thru the decent parts of the track sadly the back triple section was covered in an inch or more of loose dirt and the car was actually almost getting stuck but once the track is prepped and swept my car will be bad fast