R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #12496
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
How would a different "sub-forum".. for a single car.. be any different than a single thread for a single car? You would have just as many posts to go through, and even more threads to search through for what you were looking for. Everything you need to know here is on page #1. Most new relevant stuff.. just the last 20 pages or so. You don't need to read every post to learn all you need to know about this car.
Let's say you had a B5M sub-forum. Then you could have different threads for:

- Setup
- Factory Lite
- Chassis
- Stock racing tips/tricks
- Motors
- Rumors
- etc. etc.
or whatever B5M topics make the most sense to be organized by.

If I just want to read about setup for outdoor loose conditions, I would just read or search in the Setup thread. If I wanted to set up my B5M for stock racing, I could probably figure the top 5 things to get/do by reading one thread. Right now if I want to figure out setup, I would do what? Type "setup" would likely yield about a 1:10 signal:noise ratio.

I don't know how many other forums you visit for other hobbies, etc., but I would say the vast majority do this. There isn't like one Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution thread (my 1:1 car) -- there's multiple subforums, one for electronics, one for maintenance, one for mods, etc. Each subforum then has multiple threads.

It's just a lot better organized that way. Right now, everything is in one bucket. And I disagree that everything between post 2 and 11980 is irrelevant. That doesn't make any sense, there's a reason we don't just delete those 11980 posts -- they contain useful information as well.

I just built a TLR 22 SCT 2.0. Thank God the thread is 1/10th the length of this one, else I would never have found anything. Post 1 and the last 20 posts of that thread didn't tell me I should build according to the Wheeler setup (and NOT Maifield), get the brass rear hinge block, or that the mid-motor conversion kit was out of stock in most places but available on eBay.
tsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #12497
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsair View Post

- Setup
- Factory Lite
- Chassis
- Motors
- Rumors
- etc. etc.
Ok, I'll bite. I'll add various sections to the first post. Is the above list what you want? I'll fill with content, but give me the sections you want to see.

If Capt.America can transfer me the first 5 or 6 posts, I'll make each one a section and fill it with content as it comes up.

Cautrell05; I need a picture of the brass mounts with the inserts in to compare with the aluminum and stock arm mounts.

Last edited by RCBuddha; 03-17-2015 at 10:05 PM.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #12498
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBuddha View Post
Ok, I'll bite. I'll add various sections to the first post. Is the above list what you want? I'll fill with content, but give me the sections you want to see.

If Capt.America can transfer me the first 5 or 6 posts, I'll make each one a section and fill it with content as it comes up.
I appreciate you being open to change, and the first page is quite nice and I can tell a lot of work went into getting all in the information in there.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you're thinking of reorganizing the first post into different sections? And then each section has links or QA or something for the content?

I was suggesting that we needed a B5M sub-forum (and then multiple threads in the sub-forum). Or if the powers-that-be feel that is a poor way to organize rctech.net, I would suggest at least an Associated sub-forum, a Losi sub-forum, a Traxxas sub-forum, etc. Or even having two levels of subforums probably makes the most sense for such a popular brand as AE:

- Associated
|_ B5
|_ B5M
|_ B44.3
etc.

I don't know the best way to split up the threads/sections/information. Honestly, I've been in the hobby for 9 mos. But I think in most forums the threads just grow organically by the users. They don't rely on someone to constantly try to figure out the best/fastest/newest stuff, update the FAQ (which is basically what post 1 is) all the time and require constant moderation/oversight.

I mean, I'm not even sure it's valid to say that there is a definitive best "buy a B5 for loose conditions, and B5M for high-bite" consensus on things anyway, so it's better to just provide pointers to the discussions, and let people decide on their own. Case in point, the latest thought seems to be that mid-motor may be best for almost everyone in pretty much every condition (see T5M).

So this is a long-winded way of saying, super-moderators don't actually need to super-moderate. Just have a sub-forum with a thread for each topic, let users post their opinions and experiences on those topics, and let readers read the information and make decisions for themselves. Moderators don't need to do much other than collapse threads about the same thing into one thread, and delete inappropriate posts.

If people are constantly asking about the same thing, then the FAQ can be updated and can point to the proper threads about a common topic (i.e. what's the deal with flat front arms?, rear or mid?, slipper or which no-slipper?, etc.) Each of those topics will have feedback, experiences, opinions, etc. by lots of people that can't be conveyed with a single line sentence on the first post, and I don't think we even need to try.

I know this is a seismic shift in the way rctech currently runs, but I think it would help the organization tremendously. It would also help the situation where you have like 20 different people talking about 5 different topics in the same thread (jerzi's CF chassis, 3 gear or 4 gear, when is the lite coming out, etc.) seemingly ignoring each other and basically using the same thread to have 5 simultaneous, semi-private conversations.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #12499
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Bob here is the car I got from you. Waiting for body now but he will race this weekend with your paint. I had to use old, and I mean old, electronics. It will be good till end of our season. Hope to get newer stuff over summer time.

Thanx again for the hookup. He will be ecstatic.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #12500
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

- Setup
- Factory Lite
- Chassis
- Motors
- Rumors
- etc. etc.

If I just want to read about setup for outdoor loose conditions, I would just read or search in the Setup thread. If I wanted to set up my B5M for stock racing, I could probably figure the top 5 things to get/do by reading one thread. Right now if I want to figure out setup, I would do what? Type "setup" would likely yield about a 1:10 signal:noise ratio.

I don't know how many other forums you visit for other hobbies, etc., but I would say the vast majority do this. There isn't like one Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution thread (my 1:1 car) -- there's multiple subforums, one for electronics, one for maintenance, one for mods, etc. Each subforum then has multiple threads.

It's just a lot better organized that way. Right now, everything is in one bucket. And I disagree that everything between post 2 and 11980 is irrelevant. That doesn't make any sense, there's a reason we don't just delete those 11980 posts -- they contain useful information as well.

I just built a TLR 22 SCT 2.0. Thank God the thread is 1/10th the length of this one, else I would never have found anything. Post 1 and the last 20 posts of that thread didn't tell me I should build according to the Wheeler setup (and NOT Maifield), get the brass rear hinge block, or that the mid-motor conversion kit was out of stock in most places but available on eBay.
Thats why there is the search function.
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 PM   #12501
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
I appreciate you being open to change,
TSAIR... let me save you a crap load of typing. It's not going to happen. It's been suggested a hundred times over the last decade. IB is not going to come in here and reorganize the forums for every car model that comes out. We would literally have hundreds of sub forums coming and going, and it would require constant updating by the site administrators. As nice as you THINK it would be, it would be an absolute nightmare. What you see is what you get.

moving on back to the B5m. Seriously.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #12502
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
I appreciate you being open to change, and the first page is quite nice and I can tell a lot of work went into getting all in the information in there.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you're thinking of reorganizing the first post into different sections? And then each section has links or QA or something for the content?
I'm willing to organize things to make things easier to read and find. However, after looking it over a few times, I feel like I've organized the current first page into "sections". Perhaps the layout needs a little tweaking or I need to update a few things, but for me, it is pretty information packed, and seems to be organized. To be honest, having the first page as a resource hasn't been done on many threads, so this is something that I hope becomes a requirement to owning the first post.

Maybe I'm just used to the way things are arranged around here (see my join date?), but a few things have always worked for me when I have interest in a vehicle:

1. I read the entire thread, sometimes spending a few nights reading the 100's of pages of a thread. Skimming is more like it.
2. I ask a question and someone will usually answer it right away.
3. search button does work but sometimes you have to put in the right search terms or combination of search terms to get the answers you want.

FWIW, I too belong to 1:1 forums as well. I've seen multiple conversations happen all the time on the single thread, so it is not RCTECh specific.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #12503
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBuddha View Post
I'm willing to organize things to make things easier to read and find. However, after looking it over a few times, I feel like I've organized the current first page into "sections". Perhaps the layout needs a little tweaking or I need to update a few things, but for me, it is pretty information packed, and seems to be organized. To be honest, having the first page as a resource hasn't been done on many threads, so this is something that I hope becomes a requirement to owning the first post.
No, it's fine, great actually!

Quote:
1. I read the entire thread, sometimes spending a few nights reading the 100's of pages of a thread. Skimming is more like it.
2. I ask a question and someone will usually answer it right away.
3. search button does work but sometimes you have to put in the right search terms or combination of search terms to get the answers you want.
Thanks for the tips and replies guys. Carry on.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:06 AM   #12504
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't have the brass arm mount. Just bought the aluminum one for my short course.

Nick
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #12505
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3srcracing View Post
Saw the T5M was coming in this week possibly. I heard that the lite cars also were coming in with them, can anyone confirm that?

Would be rad if they came this week.
That would be amazing!

I back ordered this through towers with another order. Does anybody know if I can call them and have them do expedited shipping on the b5m? They normally ship back orders with the same ship method used for the rest of the order.

All sold: RC8.2E--Tekin RX8 1900kv, DEX408--Tekin RX8 1900kv, SC104x4--RX8 Pro4 4000kv, E-Revo Brushless, Hpi Sprint 2 Drift, Airtronics mt-4,
jjahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:35 AM   #12506
Tech Addict

I'm not sure the suggested sub forums would be an improvement for regular users, even if the admins took on the burden of maintaining it all. I don't know for sure but I suspect a lot of people use the forums the way I do.

Looks like I'm currently subscribed to 45 threads and only 21 of those have been updated this month. My bookmark for rctech takes me straight to my subscriptions list. Other than browsing or searching the for sale forum at times, I hardly ever look inside any of the individual forums for new threads. If I do it's usually to search for some topic that isn't specific to an individual model.

All of the "official" model threads I follow have very good first posts. When I want to learn about a new model I usually read the first post really well and then the first couple pages. Then the next 50 pages are going to be fluff in most cases as people first post up "I'm getting one", then ask over and over when the kit is going to be available, then complain that the kit wasn't released on time.

It's not hard to use the links at the top of the thread to skip 10 pages at a time to get past that stuff and find the real content where people have started actually racing the car and are figuring out the setup along with what does and doesn't break. That's where you can really start to figure out if you want to buy one or not.

Then if I buy one, I read the last 20 or so pages of the thread and subscribe from that point on.
38.4 percent of RC tuning is 75 percent placebo effect
87.26 percent of statistics are just made up
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #12507
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjahn View Post
That would be amazing!

I back ordered this through towers with another order. Does anybody know if I can call them and have them do expedited shipping on the b5m? They normally ship back orders with the same ship method used for the rest of the order.
I was told by my LHS which is very much an AE shop, that the T5 was this week, the B5m Lite was 2 weeks after that. I hope he is wrong, I am feeling like an impatient kid here.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #12508
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

The joke will be anyone who sells the B5M lite chassis without trying it first...and realizing the added flex is heavily welcomed...
Old 03-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #12509
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearman View Post
Besides it wasn't the wing that pushed her B5M to victory. It was the Reedy power!
lol, insert sponsor plug. Btw, those trophies were sweet. I am sure she will earm many more
Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #12510
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Bob here is the car I got from you. Waiting for body now but he will race this weekend with your paint. I had to use old, and I mean old, electronics. It will be good till end of our season. Hope to get newer stuff over summer time.

Thanx again for the hookup. He will be ecstatic.

Nicely done sir.... carry on