R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #12466
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
lol, Come on. Any fast girl will get picked up my AE. marketing marketing marketing. AE looking for young drivers and a girl is icing on the cake. There are a few sponsored Women, but I dont know how many AE sponsors. I am not aware of any other sponsored female kids. I am sure there are some. I dont ever recall a girls winning stock buggy at Cactus or any big race. I am sure I am wrong though.
Cut me some slack. I posted that I'm in the middle of thawed dog poop slash start of 1/8 scale season. (I'm in Wi, that's where the whole doggy dung thing comes in...gotta live here I guess) I didn't make it past Saturday watching on LRC, it was like 60 degrees here and chicks were jogging past my house in their thongs. I had better things to do, obviously

Dude, total joke post. It was only 58 degrees here not 60.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #12467
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Cut me some slack. I posted that I'm in the middle of thawed dog poop slash start of 1/8 scale season. (I'm in Wi, that's where the whole doggy dung thing comes in...gotta live here I guess) I didn't make it past Saturday watching on LRC, it was like 60 degrees here and chicks were jogging past my house in their thongs. I had better things to do, obviously

Dude, total joke post. It was only 58 degrees here not 60.
Some irony here...I've had two B5M sales fall through since I turned you down.

Selling your...ahem other B5m?

HAH.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #12468
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
cool thanks.

I take it no one runs the mid car on the loose conditions I mentioned?

I am curious if the new light mid car with its chassis milling if it would have more flex. not saying it would, but be curious.
Sorry for jumping in late but I respectfully disagree with pretty much everybody. We have found that mid motor works everywhere better including wet and freezing conditions. The caveat is that you have to tune for it. Some people just like the rear motor feel but my experience is that MM is better. That being said, the B5M lite would be a bad decision on a loose track. The 4 gear tranny has its advatages when traction isn't perfect. Its plain physics, I doubt anybody will argue that point. Next, when the track was wet and it was freezing, or close to freezing, I tried to make my stock B5M heavier by using the brass accessories and a full square pack. The added weight seemed to help. I specifically ran B5s as well this past winter to compare and I'm sure MM is better. I doubt most of the guys here run the same conditions that I do.

Its not hard to swap back and forth between mid and rear but unless you're just that comfortable with a rear motor there is no sense in swapping.

Just my opinion that is based of 4 months of running both on a wet track. I didn't log the race days etc.....but I did notice that my faster laps were always MM.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #12469
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Sorry for jumping in late but I respectfully disagree with pretty much everybody. We have found that mid motor works everywhere better including wet and freezing conditions. The caveat is that you have to tune for it. Some people just like the rear motor feel but my experience is that MM is better. That being said, the B5M lite would be a bad decision on a loose track. The 4 gear tranny has its advatages when traction isn't perfect. Its plain physics, I doubt anybody will argue that point. Next, when the track was wet and it was freezing, or close to freezing, I tried to make my stock B5M heavier by using the brass accessories and a full square pack. The added weight seemed to help. I specifically ran B5s as well this past winter to compare and I'm sure MM is better. I doubt most of the guys here run the same conditions that I do.

Its not hard to swap back and forth between mid and rear but unless you're just that comfortable with a rear motor there is no sense in swapping.

Just my opinion that is based of 4 months of running both on a wet track. I didn't log the race days etc.....but I did notice that my faster laps were always MM.

this is the way I look at it. The Lite comes with Ti turnbuckles, alum rear camber block, alum top shaft, FT bearings, 2 pad slipper (not great) and alum front axles. Plus the new chassis of course. From an economics stand point, buying the 4 gear parts is pretty cheap. "If" you really dont want the lite chassis....sell it on ebay and buy the heavier chassis. because that chassis WILL be in demand and will sell for top dollar. When you go indoors and race on carpet, you might want that 3 gear for tuning. You can always try the MM outdoors. Worst case, it sucks and you convert to rear. And use the MM for carpet season.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #12470
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

Quote:
this is the way I look at it. The Lite comes with Ti turnbuckles, alum rear camber block, alum top shaft, FT bearings, 2 pad slipper (not great) and alum front axles. Plus the new chassis of course. From an economics stand point, buying the 4 gear parts is pretty cheap. "If" you really dont want the lite chassis....sell it on ebay and buy the heavier chassis. because that chassis WILL be in demand and will sell for top dollar. When you go indoors and race on carpet, you might want that 3 gear for tuning. You can always try the MM outdoors. Worst case, it sucks and you convert to rear. And use the MM for carpet season.

I absolutely agree with this approach. It makes perfect economic sense. I bet he could find somebody to give him a 4 gear tranny.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #12471

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm from Minnesota. My dog is disappointed...he prefers to munch on frozen turds.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #12472
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
So what's the deal with the 3 gear and 4 gear tranny What is the difference and what do I need to buy?

All sold: RC8.2E--Tekin RX8 1900kv, DEX408--Tekin RX8 1900kv, SC104x4--RX8 Pro4 4000kv, E-Revo Brushless, Hpi Sprint 2 Drift, Airtronics mt-4,
jjahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #12473
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I noticed she didnt have the water fall screws in to mount it to the MIP case. I assume she wanted more flex
Actually Kamryn runs her car with the screws in the waterfall. They were removed by Adam at tech when they pulled her motor.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #12474
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
It made the highlights in Scotty's post on Facebook.

Did she/was she signed with a team yet (AE?) Any other girls drive for AE? How many girls/women are chassis sponsored? Besides Rhonda Drake?
Yes Kamryn drives for Team Associated/Reedy
She also has the support of some of the best companies in the industry.

B-Fast
Schelle
Hobby Action
Warehouse 3
And of course WWHD
Old 03-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #12475
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)

Congrats to her, Great Job.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #12476
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearman View Post
Actually Kamryn runs her car with the screws in the waterfall. They were removed by Adam at tech when they pulled her motor.
so they did pull the motors. People were asking. Did they do tear downs on the winners? or just inductance?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #12477
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnMike View Post
If someone just bought a B5m today, I could see the 850 pages in this thread looking like a huge wall with information behind it. RCBuddha does a pretty good job of keeping page 1 updated with the usual information folks are looking for. This discussion does raise an idea though. Maybe we could add a "current trends" section to page 1? Something like that might be a pain to maintain though. Anyway, I don't see an easy solution here, but I think as long as RCBuddha keeps doing a good job like he is, we are good.
Thanks for the kind words!

To everyone: I would be happy to add anything that folks want to see on the first page, e.g. the motor plate weights.

For more in-depth articles (e.g; controlling flex by cutting the waterfall), someone needs to write a magazine-esque post (with pictures-light boxes work best) that I can just copy and paste. I am happy to give that person credit and for the record, I see the first page as a user-collaborative effort.

Here's some ideas that I've had that would make good writeups:
"Project sub 1450: Building the lightest B5M ever" <--If anyone has the bank roll for this, let me know!
"Controlling rear flex by cutting the waterfall"
"Inline vs. standard battery configurations"
"Front axle height, what the front axle height changes when you make adjustments"
"Controlling chassis flex, a how-to and explanation"
"Transmission weights, 4 gear vs 3 gear vs MIP"
"Battery straps: what does each way?"

I wish I had the time to do the writeups and photos, but I sadly do not have time with work and family.

Last edited by RCBuddha; 03-17-2015 at 08:39 PM.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #12478
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjahn View Post
Do you have a link?

https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...f6&oe=55B243EC
3srcracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #12479
Tech Master