R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 02-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #11371
fmm
Tech Apprentice

Hi all,

I am looking for a ride and the B5M is one the candidates I like most.

But I have a doubt that maybe someone can help.

I don't know if I should buy a standard version or a lite version. I am in this situation because the track conditions where I usually race are very particular. I race on carpet, but with slicks and aditive. Overall we have very good traction and grip, but the characteristics of the slicks make the traction "inconsistent", if you push too much the wheels start drifting out and you loose traction. It is not like racing on carpet with schumacher tyres where the tires always engage and have traction.

Whit that said, I wonder if I should buy one standard B5M or wait for the lite version. Could anybody explain me if the lower weigth and the 3 gear transition would be beneficial in these track conditions?

Thank you very much in advance
fmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #11372
Tech Regular

You are smart in asking these questions instead of just determining you need the Lite just because its the latest. There are alot of smart people on here that will follow up with some good advice, but I would guess carpet would be a prime candidate for a lightened 3 gear offering. I would think it provides more than enough forward bite, and if you do push the front end and its not something you can solve with tire prep, shock tuning or roll centers, you could always add a bit of weight up front. I would think the Lite version would make sense in your application. What turn motor are you running?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #11373
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for a ride and the B5M is one the candidates I like most.

But I have a doubt that maybe someone can help.

I don't know if I should buy a standard version or a lite version. I am in this situation because the track conditions where I usually race are very particular. I race on carpet, but with slicks and aditive. Overall we have very good traction and grip, but the characteristics of the slicks make the traction "inconsistent", if you push too much the wheels start drifting out and you loose traction. It is not like racing on carpet with schumacher tyres where the tires always engage and have traction.

Whit that said, I wonder if I should buy one standard B5M or wait for the lite version. Could anybody explain me if the lower weigth and the 3 gear transition would be beneficial in these track conditions?

Thank you very much in advance
Stock or mod?
Old 02-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #11374
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Setup is a bit different than what we are currently running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinen81 View Post
sure! sounds good. See attached.

I agree wildcat, i start out on bar codes, but choose the electrons when it develops dust, as they seem the best for me.
This is the setup we have currently been running with great success on Medium to lower traction surface with B5m. You can always down to Green rear springs if needed for more rear grip....

http://nebula.wsimg.com/91cfd57fd1c0...&alloworigin=1

You can check out all my recent setups at the follow:
http://www.bachmanracing.com/b5m---team-assocated.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Alan
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #11375
fmm
Tech Apprentice

Thank you very much for the fast reply!

I race mod 7,5t or 8,5t
Old 02-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #11376
fmm
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinen81 View Post
You are smart in asking these questions instead of just determining you need the Lite just because its the latest. There are alot of smart people on here that will follow up with some good advice, but I would guess carpet would be a prime candidate for a lightened 3 gear offering. I would think it provides more than enough forward bite, and if you do push the front end and its not something you can solve with tire prep, shock tuning or roll centers, you could always add a bit of weight up front. I would think the Lite version would make sense in your application. What turn motor are you running?
Thank you for your reply. Overall we have rather good forward bite and we all use some weigth in the front. However, I have seen cars as the XB4-2wd or the schumacher KF suffering lack of traction. This is why I was a bit worried of going to a 3 gear transmission instead of 4 gears. In the other hand I suspect that the lower weigth helps on jumps and landing, but if the car weigth less... Doesn't it has less forward bite?

Thanks again
Old 02-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #11377
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm View Post
Doesn't it has less forward bite?

Thanks again
The 3 gear has less forward bite due to the rotation of the motor now.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #11378
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a question similar to whats been being discussed the last few posts.

I was all ready to purchase my b5m when I saw the factory lite came out. I race on two surfaces. One is a medium track super high traction rubber and the other is a large track medium-high grip clay.

what would be reccommended to buy? The lightened chasis 3 gear trans I fear might be just too light for the clay track. I do like the aluminum upgrades the lite comes with and would probably get them (hubs, brace, etc.) even if i get the regular kit.
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #11379
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
I have a question similar to whats been being discussed the last few posts.

I was all ready to purchase my b5m when I saw the factory lite came out. I race on two surfaces. One is a medium track super high traction rubber and the other is a large track medium-high grip clay.

what would be reccommended to buy? The lightened chasis 3 gear trans I fear might be just too light for the clay track. I do like the aluminum upgrades the lite comes with and would probably get them (hubs, brace, etc.) even if i get the regular kit.
I run on high bite clay, and most everyone in stock is running the SLRC light weight chassis. if you run mod, you can always put lead weight on the chassis. Or buy the lite version, sell you chassis, since there will be a shortage and buy a standard chassis.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #11380
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Remember,

You cannot buy the B5m Lite right now. It will be a couple months away.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #11381
Tech Prophet

while that is true.... If you can wait, I would. If you have more money than sense, just buy the current car. But keep in mind, the lite comes with a lot of standard upgrades like the alum camber block, alum top shaft, alight weight motor plate, ti turnbuckles and the factory team bearing set. You save a ton of money by waiting. if you cant weight, I would buy a lightly used car with most of the upgrades for cheap, since people are dumping their cars.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #11382
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have a 3 gear B5M @ 1504 grams and geared 32/69 for 17.5 Blinky racing. My question is do I need to run a fan on my ESC? I am running a LRP works flow w/ 3.8 software. I was running a Tekin RS Pro without a fan, so I assume no fan is OK? I can always temp it next time at the track...just trying to see what everyone else is doing.

Also, we have a pretty small indoor track 80X40 is 32/69 in the ball park for gearing with a D3.5 motor...Timing @ +20 with a 12.5 rotor at 1450/1454.

I have done a lot of carpet oval and road course, just new to offroad.

Thank you for the help!!
sstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #11383
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

no fan should be needed.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #11384
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
while that is true.... If you can wait, I would. If you have more money than sense, just buy the current car. But keep in mind, the lite comes with a lot of standard upgrades like the alum camber block, alum top shaft, alight weight motor plate, ti turnbuckles and the factory team bearing set. You save a ton of money by waiting. if you cant weight, I would buy a lightly used car with most of the upgrades for cheap, since people are dumping their cars.
But would you want the 3 gear for mod?

Looking at the pictures, it also comes with B5 front arms.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #11385
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnMike View Post
But would you want the 3 gear for mod?

Looking at the pictures, it also comes with B5 front arms.
a 4 gear case, motor plate an idler gear are cheap. compared to the ti turnbuckles, bearing kit and all the other goodies.