R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #11191
Tech Regular
 
heinen81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
The original is just a team car which is always the first offering from AE = the basic kit. Then comes the factory team car... The Lite car is a new offering for the ever booming (weight crazed) stock guys.

The Factory team car will be the all around racer kit, the team kit will fade away and then there'll be RTR's with all basic parts that were in the team kit.
I agree with the weight crazed stock comment. Its getting ridiculous and this BM5 Lite feeds right into it. Running carpet or super high bite? Absolutely overall weight can be a factor, but for the club race driver...which 90% of its B5M customers are, we are running on low to medium bite tracks that generally wont respond well to most of what that "must have" new car will come with. I would keep your B5M and spend that $270 on tires, a bi metal puck system, aluminum top shaft and other ways to save rotating weight. The one thing that seems to kind of keep a B5M competitive on a loose track is a slightly heavier chassis to keep the car planted. I just hope people dont feel the need to replace the B5M they have been working hard a year on, to get competive on low to med bite tracks, for something that will take them out of the ball park again just because TA rolls out another "must have".
heinen81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #11192
Tech Regular
 
kbish76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LV NV
Posts: 351
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I don't know if this has been talked about yet but don't you think the new B5m lite will have an issue with those front axles? Didn't Associated try those non-steel before in B44? And they were horrible, snapping all the time.
kbish76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #11193
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,909
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinen81 View Post
I agree with the weight crazed stock comment. Its getting ridiculous and this BM5 Lite feeds right into it. Running carpet or super high bite? Absolutely overall weight can be a factor, but for the club race driver...which 90% of its B5M customers are, we are running on low to medium bite tracks that generally wont respond well to most of what that "must have" new car will come with. I would keep your B5M and spend that $270 on tires, a bi metal puck system, aluminum top shaft and other ways to save rotating weight. The one thing that seems to kind of keep a B5M competitive on a loose track is a slightly heavier chassis to keep the car planted. I just hope people dont feel the need to replace the B5M they have been working hard a year on, to get competive on low to med bite tracks, for something that will take them out of the ball park again just because TA rolls out another "must have".
maybe they will make a heavy edition for you with +70 grams of weight. Imo, rear motor is for the conditions you describe.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #11194
Tech Elite
 
aeRayls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,215
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE View Post
So the team kit is truly obsolete for a person who doesn't have the B5M I think would be a safe to say. Correct? I can't think of a reason...
If you're a stock driver then yes. However, they wouldn't have designated it as "Lite" if that was going to be the only Factory kit.
__________________
Team Associated~Reedy~LRP~XP Digital~JConcepts~92zero Designs~Big Horn Designs~


Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #11195
Tech Elite
 
aeRayls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,215
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbish76 View Post
I don't know if this has been talked about yet but don't you think the new B5m lite will have an issue with those front axles? Didn't Associated try those non-steel before in B44? And they were horrible, snapping all the time.
On the original FTB4 yes, they had blue alum screw-in axles up front. Those things snapped like tooth picks on high bite. Of course there's always that one guy who never had an issue lol

I see these being better. A lot thicker than the old ones.
__________________
Team Associated~Reedy~LRP~XP Digital~JConcepts~92zero Designs~Big Horn Designs~


Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #11196
Tech Elite
 
aeRayls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,215
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
maybe they will make a heavy edition for you with +70 grams of weight. Imo, rear motor is for the conditions you describe.

Honestly I'll never go back to rear motor. I can make the M generate so much grip I'm not worried. Last July 2 very good drivers at our Regionals dropped their rear cars for the mid. They were ballistic with them on a real outdoor track with light fluff using double dees and flipouts. This is also before we were using the rear motor rear arms and brass pieces. We've also figured out a lot about the mid car since then.
__________________
Team Associated~Reedy~LRP~XP Digital~JConcepts~92zero Designs~Big Horn Designs~


Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #11197
Tech Regular
 
storm800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Omro
Posts: 448
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Cole and Chad both ran the 3 gear tranny last night at trackside and both said it was decent. I think with some practice and setup changes it will be as good if not better than the 4 gear in mod.
__________________
Revolution Raceway, Dirtheaven, Clark RC Park, Trackside Hobbies, Liesure Hours, Associated, MIP, Reedy Powered , Jconcepts, Sanwa, SheareritPaints, Fat Guy Designs, Bubba's Bling , GravityRc, R17 racing, Liverc.com, 92zero Designs
storm800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #11198
Tech Master
 
RC-ZOMBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Insane Asylum, Pa
Posts: 1,353
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
If you're a stock driver then yes. However, they wouldn't have designated it as "Lite" if that was going to be the only Factory kit.
This "lite" version will Handle mod no problem
No reason to have 3 versions of the same car
RC-ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #11199
Tech Regular
 
kbish76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LV NV
Posts: 351
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I'm struggling to decide weather to go rear or mid motor. My local track is low to med grip and med size track. As of now my mind is on mid motor, and for one reason. The rear motor is going away. Mid is the way things will be moving forward. That's why you don't see them coming out with a rear T5. So we might as well get the mid and start to learn how to drive it.
kbish76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #11200
Tech Elite
 
aeRayls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,215
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm800 View Post
Cole and Chad both ran the 3 gear tranny last night at trackside and both said it was decent. I think with some practice and setup changes it will be as good if not better than the 4 gear in mod.
For sure Jim, there's a lot of potential there. With the tracks I run on being medium bite and rough, the 4 gear is great.
__________________
Team Associated~Reedy~LRP~XP Digital~JConcepts~92zero Designs~Big Horn Designs~


Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #11201
Tech Elite
 
aeRayls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,215
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE View Post
This "lite" version will Handle mod no problem
No reason to have 3 versions of the same car
I'm not saying it can't handle mod no problem... I'm just saying what it's marketed for.


Who wants to make a bet about there being a Factory Team car besides the Lite?
__________________
Team Associated~Reedy~LRP~XP Digital~JConcepts~92zero Designs~Big Horn Designs~


Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #11202
Tech Master
 
RC-ZOMBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Insane Asylum, Pa
Posts: 1,353
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
I'm not saying it can't handle mod no problem... I'm just saying what it's marketed for.


Who wants to make a bet about there being a Factory Team car besides the Lite?
I bet no.
RC-ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #11203
Tech Regular
 
JeepnMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maple Valley, WA (TRCR)
Posts: 468
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE View Post
I bet no.
I really hope you are wrong about this one. I have been patiently waiting for the FT kit (for mod). If the next new kit is just this Lite version, I am going to be bummed.
__________________
TRF801x - DB01RR - B5m Lite - TB03 - Variety Of Vintage Tamiya
JeepnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #11204
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
I'm not saying it can't handle mod no problem... I'm just saying what it's marketed for.


Who wants to make a bet about there being a Factory Team car besides the Lite?
I think we will see one, and when we do the Team car will phase out as someone else already said. Factory Team version would come with aluminum bellcranks, aluminum shock caps, aluminum shock bushings, aluminum rear arm mounts, clamping hex axles front and rear, and maybe include the the Lite chassis and parts for both 3 gear and 4 gear transmissions.
StadiumRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #11205
Tech Master
 
RC-ZOMBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Insane Asylum, Pa
Posts: 1,353
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnMike View Post
I really hope you are wrong about this one. I have been patiently waiting for the FT kit (for mod). If the next new kit is just this Lite version, I am going to be bummed.
Oh I definitely could be wrong.
RC-ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:52 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net