R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #10786
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbons2k View Post
Is the 3 gear tranny ok for running mod? Im just coming out of 17.5 and want to got with a 10.5 to start.
Kody Numedahl ran it at the Reedy Race this past weekend. He had a bad first round and put the 3 gear in for the second round and took the win. The OCRC track was very high grip at the Reedy and he stated is was just what he needed .
Old 01-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #10787
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
well.......my 3 gear is not as free as my 4 gear was. I did back off my tranny screws a 1/4 turn to help, but still not great. I am hoping it will break in. And yes, I use the Avid Aura Ceramic bearing in my tranny. Ceramics to make it much smoother. But the cut gears help, the 3 gear will probably help and so on. It all adds up. The single best item for 17.5 is probably the pucks. Then that light weight topshaft and Avid Evo slipper. After that is the ceramics and cut gears. IMO, that is the order of "greatness" of the upgrades. you can use the Avid $1 bearing, blow out the grease and lube them with Slip, and they are very free. The ceramics just stay free longer. I like the Aurora Bearings because they dont have shields for the most part, and are really easy to clean and lube.

Also, did you say you are running a slipper eliminator on medium bite? I am not sure I would do that. Many guys run them locally on high bite, but I have heard mixed reviews on medium bite. Hard to get on the throttle out of the corners. I dont use one, because I dont feel the need.
Even on high bite, a slipper is very nice, as it calms the car down over odd bumps.

My 3 gear was just as "Free" as my 4 gear. I would recommend cleaning and oiling your transmission bearings. "Breaking in" a transmission is something of the old transmission days.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #10788
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
three gear is sounding good. what is the weight difference from the 4 gear? it does take different bearings from 4 gear, so can't move them over from 4 to 3?
Bearings are only different on the top shaft. Just use the bearings from the not used idler gear on the new top shaft.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #10789
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Even on high bite, a slipper is very nice, as it calms the car down over odd bumps.

My 3 gear was just as "Free" as my 4 gear. I would recommend cleaning and oiling your transmission bearings. "Breaking in" a transmission is something of the old transmission days.
I did clean and lube, lol. Maybe the topshaft needs to be broken in, I dont know. it is not bad, just not as good.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #10790
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Switching to B5M What should I upgrade out of the box for mod racing?

After agonizing for a year about getting rid of my losi 22 and moving on to the B5m, I am finally going to do it.
I have been skimming through this huge thread and I can't find what I am looking for.

Can you guys tell me what upgrades I should do right out of the box on the B5M? I will be running indoor on a high bite clay track. Thank you.
Tyler Vik kicks azz wow, what a driver :-)
New B5m Club member.....sweet car after numerous upgrades
KyoshoSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #10791
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoshoSC View Post
After agonizing for a year about getting rid of my losi 22 and moving on to the B5m, I am finally going to do it.
I have been skimming through this huge thread and I can't find what I am looking for.

Can you guys tell me what upgrades I should do right out of the box on the B5M? I will be running indoor on a high bite clay track. Thank you.
well.....I would get the Avid slipper, Avid Bearing Kit, Ti Turnbuckles and an alum rear camber block. But...it looks like JC has a nice rear camber block coming out, so you might want to hold off on that. The plstic alum suspension holders dont break, but you may want the FT C mount for more adjusts and easier adjustments.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #10792
Tech Addict

Quote:
well.......my 3 gear is not as free as my 4 gear was.

Did you by chance shim your new top shaft for play?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #10793
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
I did clean and lube, lol. Maybe the topshaft needs to be broken in, I dont know. it is not bad, just not as good.
Mine either, after one night, not much better, I wonder if anything changed with the topshaft? But it still felt better on track.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #10794
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Mine either, after one night, not much better, I wonder if anything changed with the topshaft? But it still felt better on track.
New top shaft, with used gears?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #10795
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilster44 View Post
Did you by chance shim your new top shaft for play?
no. it does have play, but once the slipper is on, the play went away. Is shimming required?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #10796
Tech Prophet

new cut gears. I tried the old gears. same thing. it is not terrible, just not as good as before on the bench. I am sure it will be fine
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 PM   #10797
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Just finished putting in the 3 gear. Cant get over how quiet it is. For you guys saying it doesn't feel as free how are you judging it? in theory it won't free spin as long because there aren't as many gears carrying momentum. Just like a belt can be almost drag free and still won't roll for crud. Cant wait to try it.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #10798
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Amain has the 3 gear top shaft, case and cover at low quantity and the motor plate on Pre Order ... Exotec has a 3 gear motor plate in stock...

FYI.
Logi Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 AM   #10799
Tech Adept

I should have all my 3 gear parts in this week. Anyone want to post some pic's of there 3 gear setup.
Drifter_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #10800
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter_73 View Post
I should have all my 3 gear parts in this week. Anyone want to post some pic's of there 3 gear setup.
Here's mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-3gear_161953.jpg