R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #10726
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
so when braking your ass end would get a little skittish and feel really light?
Yes, we have an off camber 180 hairpin where I noticed the most, it's not a huge difference, but it was noticeable, I turned down the brake a little to compensate. I was more consistent overall this week, hotlap was the same.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #10727
Tech Rookie

Just throwing my two cents in, I have the associated 3 gear in my b5m running stock 17.5 with puck system, I see a couple differences, First off less rear traction but I personally like it better than when I couldent get the front to hook up, We run on medium to high bite clay, If definitely feels more consistent in lap times and a slight more predictable, But now I can clear most the mod jumps the stock isnt getting close to, So I say the 3 gear is a win, Gonna experiment with saddle ran as a square pack tommorow, As it is I have the shorty all the way back amd speedo right in front and the ass end is still a little slick even when traction does come up.
matt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #10728
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt777 View Post
Just throwing my two cents in, I have the associated 3 gear in my b5m running stock 17.5 with puck system, I see a couple differences, First off less rear traction but I personally like it better than when I couldent get the front to hook up, We run on medium to high bite clay, If definitely feels more consistent in lap times and a slight more predictable, But now I can clear most the mod jumps the stock isnt getting close to, So I say the 3 gear is a win, Gonna experiment with saddle ran as a square pack tommorow, As it is I have the shorty all the way back amd speedo right in front and the ass end is still a little slick even when traction does come up.
I plan on running with a square pack. OCRC is probably similar traction wise and all the really fast guys run shorties. I am thinking the extra weight will be good for me since i don't run very often.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #10729
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Designs View Post
I plan on running with a square pack. OCRC is probably similar traction wise and all the really fast guys run shorties. I am thinking the extra weight will be good for me since i don't run very often.
The square pack will be quite a bit more weight. With the 3 gear you want to put more weight further back. Myself and another driver at ocrc took our pucks out and are running the stock diff parts. I moved my shorty all the way back and my esc and receiver as well while using the schelle battery strap. Now it feels as stuck as it did with the 4 gear.
mjbtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:43 AM   #10730
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbtaco View Post
The square pack will be quite a bit more weight. With the 3 gear you want to put more weight further back. Myself and another driver at ocrc took our pucks out and are running the stock diff parts. I moved my shorty all the way back and my esc and receiver as well while using the schelle battery strap. Now it feels as stuck as it did with the 4 gear.
What exactly removing the puck system do?
matt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:37 AM   #10731
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Less maintenance, same weight.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #10732
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Took long enough...

http://www.redrc.net/2015/01/mip-b5m...-transmission/

Quote:
During this weekend‘s Reedy Offroad Race of Champions MIP have a new 3-gear transmission for Team Associated’s B5M buggy to show. The sturdy 7075 aluminium case offers improved precision, optimised gear mesh and thus higher efficiency compared to the standard moulded cases. At the same time the transmission package is relatively of the same overall weight as the OEM 4-gear transmission, keeping the weight distribution the same as what the car was designed for which can often be more beneficial than scrubbing tons of weight. Also as the motor sits at a 3mm offset to the left an optimised left to right weight balance is achieved – the needed spacer and new spring will be supplied with the transmission kit. On top of that the all-alloy gearbox will act as a giant heatsink, making for improved motor cooling and a reduced power fade during a run. The 3-gear design also makes for a more efficient operation making the gearbox ideal for stock and modified racers alike.

RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #10733
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Why would they make that? No way the can compete with AE's case when it's like $10 to get. Then there's theirs for $58ish or more I bet.
3srcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #10734
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3srcracing View Post
Why would they make that? No way the can compete with AE's case when it's like $10 to get. Then there's theirs for $58ish or more I bet.
It will cost more than that.

And it's pure badass.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #10735
Tech Champion

I really like that MIP centered the motor more, that made a difference in jumping level on my kyosho when they released it, I wondered why the B5 wasn't like that since they were redesigning cases and top shafts anyway..
Old 01-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #10736
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Shock limiters. What would I expect by removing one limiter, from all four shocks?

I race mod class. This weekend I went from my B5-R to a B5-M I purchased from a good friend. The MM car handled similar to the RM except it was difficult to clear small jumps with. Like I had to drive it near full wood to make a 12 foot long jump.

Im' not sure what the setup is. I got the car together for third round of qualifying then ran the main. I am assuming there are more limiters in than my RM had.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #10737
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Shock limiters. What would I expect by removing one limiter, from all four shocks?

I race mod class. This weekend I went from my B5-R to a B5-M I purchased from a good friend. The MM car handled similar to the RM except it was difficult to clear small jumps with. Like I had to drive it near full wood to make a 12 foot long jump.

Im' not sure what the setup is. I got the car together for third round of qualifying then ran the main. I am assuming there are more limiters in than my RM had.
Drive train loss.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #10738
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Drive train loss.
it also can be less actual rear bite, the tires could be spinning just enough to not gain enough momentum.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #10739
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

IMO, MM does not jump as far as RM. why? the rm car is lighter, spins up faster and has more rear bite.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #10740
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Rear bite is what I felt. I love how the mm flys though.