Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Old 01-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbowen
No going down to 1mm on the tower will give you more steering. Also I would go inside on the rear arm, 0-1mm on the rear inner camber block and I would try the B hub tower B hole in the rear (1 step longer link). Try those first and see what it feels like. Oh ya and get the b5 rear motor rear arms spaced in the middle.

That is what I run with AKA chainlinks in the rear and my car almost always feels amazing!
Just to clarify, when you say more steering. Is that off power, on?

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I run my hubs forward AND use the RM arms. Which is what many people are doing
Is there a noticeable difference in rear toe? I know that the RM arms are the "craze" right now, but Im just curious as to why. Sorry, gotta be the one to question a good thing..

Thanks again fellas!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It doesn't change the toe, just the wheelbase and shaft plunge. (giggity)
Old 01-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

By "Edge through the infield" I am guessing you need front end steering. The info dbowen has given you will tighten up the rear end. Looking at your setup sheet I think you can gain a lot with a few simple changes. Ditch the gullwing front arms and tower for the flat arms and flat tower. This will make the operating window of the front end much easier to manage. Second switch to the 25 deg kick up. This will allow some more weight transfer to the front. After that try out the 3 mm trailing. This will speed up overall steering response. If the car/tires are not struggling to maintain traction then I would look at raising the roll center to speed up response.

Originally Posted by WonTonsChicken
This last weekend, I switched pistons up front, going from 2x1.7 to 3x1.4 flat, and didnt notice a whole lot of difference... Im running on a clay mix track that is super smooth with only two jumps, and am finally coming around to quicker times.. However, Im just not getting that "edge" while driving through the infield. I think this may have some to do with the camber gain and link positions. I am looking for the simple fixes that I can do with keeping as close to box stock as possible.. Or even just using option tuning parts that are included with the box setup.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
By "Edge through the infield" I am guessing you need front end steering. The info dbowen has given you will tighten up the rear end. Looking at your setup sheet I think you can gain a lot with a few simple changes. Ditch the gullwing front arms and tower for the flat arms and flat tower. This will make the operating window of the front end much easier to manage. Second switch to the 25 deg kick up. This will allow some more weight transfer to the front. After that try out the 3 mm trailing. This will speed up overall steering response. If the car/tires are not struggling to maintain traction then I would look at raising the roll center to speed up response.
Mason, I respect your response here, but to me the RM front arms and tower took away initial turn in, and took away on power steering. I went to the gullwings and tower, and gained all of this back,

This was on a med/high bite in door track.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
Mason, I respect your response here, but to me the RM front arms and tower took away initial turn in, and took away on power steering. I went to the gullwings and tower, and gained all of this back,

The flat arms definitely take away initial turn in. But they make the car smoother through the entire turn. My main issue with the gulwings, was that the car would turn in hard and the front end would dump over. Then, the rear would kinda jack knife. I went RM arms for a more linear feel. Removing ackerman washers, also seems to really make the car turn in harder, but it also induces that "jacking" feeling of the gulwings for me.

Also, for more steering, I have been playing with 2.5-2 toe/squat and using the RM .5 hub inserts (the toe the hub out .5mm). I just got the alum suspension holders, so I will try 2.5x1 with the RM .5mm hub inserts.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Suspended

The flat arms definitely take away initial turn in. But they make the car smoother through the entire turn. My main issue with the gulwings, was that the car would turn in hard and the front end would dump over. Then, the rear would kinda jack knife. I went RM arms for a more linear feel. Removing ackerman washers, also seems to really make the car turn in harder, but it also induces that "jacking" feeling of the gulwings for me.

Also, for more steering, I have been playing with 2.5-2 toe/squat and using the RM .5 hub inserts (the toe the hub out .5mm). I just got the alum suspension holders, so I will try 2.5x1 with the RM .5mm hub inserts.

I hadn't had that issue at all with the gullwings. I was however lacking initial turn in, and also on power steering at warehouse 3. The change to the gullwings gave me more turn in, and more on power, while also making the car roll more through the corner.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

According to his setup sheet he runs on the same type of track I do medium to high bite and I run the exact same setup I just gave him (with the Flat arms which I forgot he was running the gulls) and white front spring and I NEVER struggle for steering I have more than enough. Cav even ran the same rear end setup at Spektrum where the grip was very high.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Tech Prophet

I hadn't had that issue at all with the gullwings. I was however lacking initial turn in, and also on power steering at warehouse 3. The change to the gullwings gave me more turn in, and more on power, while also making the car roll more through the corner.
I honestly dont recall the on power steering when I tried the gulwings. And the dumping seemed more pronounced in the sharper turns. The current W3 layout is super flowing. The MM arms are good to have in the box for tuning and are a tuning option. I throw them back on every once in a while to play with. At the end of the day, not everyone has the same driving style and wants the same things from the car. That is why having all of these tuning options on the car are great.

Also, warehouse 3 is weird. lol. That place is super tire dependent. I always leave there frustrated. The one week I borrowed someone's tires, was the only time I enjoyed myself.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I honestly dont recall the on power steering when I tried the gulwings. And the dumping seemed more pronounced in the sharper turns. The current W3 layout is super flowing. The MM arms are good to have in the box for tuning and are a tuning option. I throw them back on every once in a while to play with. At the end of the day, not everyone has the same driving style and wants the same things from the car. That is why having all of these tuning options on the car are great.

Also, warehouse 3 is weird. lol. That place is super tire dependent. I always leave there frustrated. The one week I borrowed someone's tires, was the only time I enjoyed myself.
W3 is definitely one of those tracks where it helps to know somebody that knows something about the tire situation. I struggled really bad my first time there.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I will definately be trying these suggestions. Thanks!
However, I am becoming more confused by hearing two different things about lowering and raising roll center. Since I have 2mm in there right now, if I went to 1mm, would this give me more on power steering? Or more off power? And vice versa?

Granted, everyone's driving style may be different, and I think that my style would be more of a Cav type.. If that helps in advice giving..

With adding more anti-squat, what (if any) were other areas that you noticed to suffer due to more anti-squat?

Thanks again fellas
Old 01-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
W3 is definitely one of those tracks where it helps to know somebody that knows something about the tire situation. I struggled really bad my first time there.
I think the track has been kept on the moister (is that a word?!) side, which has made it much more consistent than months before now. A buddy did my set of tires for me, and they've been perfect, from practice to mains both times I've been to W3.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by WonTonsChicken
I will definately be trying these suggestions. Thanks!
However, I am becoming more confused by hearing two different things about lowering and raising roll center. Since I have 2mm in there right now, if I went to 1mm, would this give me more on power steering? Or more off power? And vice versa?

Granted, everyone's driving style may be different, and I think that my style would be more of a Cav type.. If that helps in advice giving..

With adding more anti-squat, what (if any) were other areas that you noticed to suffer due to more anti-squat?

Thanks again fellas
Most anti squat, means the rear squats less on power. This "should" mean more on power steering. But I ran 2.5-2 because that is what the kit comes with, lol. I mainly wanted less rear toe. But I recently found out a few local team drivers have been trying 2.5-2 also.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Could someone explain to me what advantages and tuning options are accessible with the aluminum hubs?
Old 01-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJ Hart
Could someone explain to me what advantages and tuning options are accessible with the aluminum hubs?
Well for one they are a lot more durable and the ballstuds wont back out as easily as the kit hubs,just make sure you use a dab of loctite. Also you get a lot finer roll center adjustments not to mention they just look cool lol.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by TJ Hart
you can NOT do hub toe on them. Just vertical ball studs for finer roll center tuning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.