R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #9451
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,180
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

The exotek and schelle ones are both most likely very nice products. I would say you cant go wrong with either option unless the track you run on is loose or doesnt have much grip.
__________________
Takin the lil guy racin...
Skeeter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #9452
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,495
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

The only thing I don't like about that is the specific gears needed to be run. Meaning more parts I need to stick in my Pit bag for inventory. Plus, then I gotta adjust it ☺
__________________
~Xray~RCAmerica~Motiv~Gravity RC~ORCA~

Swift Racing Services, LLC.
JDC Motorsports
Boostinswifty38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #9453
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,180
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostinswifty38 View Post
The only thing I don't like about that is the specific gears needed to be run. Meaning more parts I need to stick in my Pit bag for inventory. Plus, then I gotta adjust it ☺
your talking about the schelle eliminator correct?
__________________
Takin the lil guy racin...
Skeeter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #9454
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,495
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Yes. And I Race in astroturf so it's usually high bite.
__________________
~Xray~RCAmerica~Motiv~Gravity RC~ORCA~

Swift Racing Services, LLC.
JDC Motorsports
Boostinswifty38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #9455
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

slipper eliminators back in the day were hard on diffs.
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #9456
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone know the release date on the 3 gear trans?
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #9457
Tech Master
 
zeakemedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,202
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

I use Speedy's slipper eliminator and his cut gears and haven't had the first problem. His idler gears are full width so you don't have to use spacers to fill the gap.
Blake
__________________
DJO Race Designs | R1Wurks | Speedy's Racing Parts | The Ohio RC Factory
zeakemedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #9458
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 393
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeakemedia View Post
I use Speedy's slipper eliminator and his cut gears and haven't had the first problem. His idler gears are full width so you don't have to use spacers to fill the gap.
Blake
My idler gears are cut and I don't use spacers. What spacers are your referring to? Just curious
scythe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #9459
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 507
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Hello,
This question has probably been asked before, but I don't want to look through 237 pages to find the answer.
I currently have a Losi 22. My 2 sons have stated that they have an interest and want to start running in the novice class. I think a buggy is the best option for them because it is the class that at levels other than novice, race every week.
I am willing to switch brands so that we can all 3 have the same vehicle (less parts that I have to carry around.
I already have electronics to put in their cars.

Here are my questions:
1) What, if any, parts should be put on a new kit version of a B5M to make it more durable and handle better for novice drivers running 17.5 motors?
2) What needs to be done to the OOB (out of the box) B5M to make it drive well for a more seasoned driver? I have a friend that has a B5M and he is using the stock rear arms turned around and facing forward and also using B4 arms. Is this the correct setup? Will the B5M front arms work well? What other upgrades will make the OOB car run well and fast?

Any other suggestions or setups tips?
Is there a starting setup sheet that will get me to a good place with a car that turns well and is stable (ie not loose on the rear wheels, but does not push)?

thanks,
tim
__________________
Colorado On-Road RC Club
www.5280raceway.com
www.facebook.com/CORtrack
Driving: Xray T4 2015, T.O.P. Rebel 12, Durango DEX8T, Durango DEX408 v2, Associated B5M, Associated B44.2
rc_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #9460
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,083
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_speed View Post
Hello,
This question has probably been asked before, but I don't want to look through 237 pages to find the answer.
I currently have a Losi 22. My 2 sons have stated that they have an interest and want to start running in the novice class. I think a buggy is the best option for them because it is the class that at levels other than novice, race every week.
I am willing to switch brands so that we can all 3 have the same vehicle (less parts that I have to carry around.
I already have electronics to put in their cars.

Here are my questions:
1) What, if any, parts should be put on a new kit version of a B5M to make it more durable and handle better for novice drivers running 17.5 motors?
2) What needs to be done to the OOB (out of the box) B5M to make it drive well for a more seasoned driver? I have a friend that has a B5M and he is using the stock rear arms turned around and facing forward and also using B4 arms. Is this the correct setup? Will the B5M front arms work well? What other upgrades will make the OOB car run well and fast?

Any other suggestions or setups tips?
Is there a starting setup sheet that will get me to a good place with a car that turns well and is stable (ie not loose on the rear wheels, but does not push)?

thanks,
tim
Tim,

For the novice racers, run their B5m's bone stock, right out of the box. The car will be a little on the heavy side, which will slow them, tame them, and make them easier to drive. No upgrades needed in the slightest. If you want to tame the steering a little bit, and shift the weight slightly more to the rear, run the B5r front arms and front tower, and rear arms (these are put on the opposite side. L on R, and R on L).

For the more experienced racer, I would follow the same basic plan, however if you are good at driving a faster more twitchy car, you can spend some extra cash lightening up the car with any or all of the following:

.Pucks
.Ti turnbuckles
.Ti ballstuds
.Ti screw kid
.Lightweight top shaft
.Slipper Eliminator
.Cut gears
.Milled motor plate
.Carbon chassis

Remember, a lighter car isn't necessarily a faster car. You balance speed against traction and ease of driving.

I would run them all bone stock at first, and slowly figure out how much weight you want to shave (if any) and then start to incorporate lighter parts as needed.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #9461
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 580
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_speed View Post
Hello,
This question has probably been asked before, but I don't want to look through 237 pages to find the answer.
I currently have a Losi 22. My 2 sons have stated that they have an interest and want to start running in the novice class. I think a buggy is the best option for them because it is the class that at levels other than novice, race every week.
I am willing to switch brands so that we can all 3 have the same vehicle (less parts that I have to carry around.
I already have electronics to put in their cars.

Here are my questions:
1) What, if any, parts should be put on a new kit version of a B5M to make it more durable and handle better for novice drivers running 17.5 motors?
2) What needs to be done to the OOB (out of the box) B5M to make it drive well for a more seasoned driver? I have a friend that has a B5M and he is using the stock rear arms turned around and facing forward and also using B4 arms. Is this the correct setup? Will the B5M front arms work well? What other upgrades will make the OOB car run well and fast?

Any other suggestions or setups tips?
Is there a starting setup sheet that will get me to a good place with a car that turns well and is stable (ie not loose on the rear wheels, but does not push)?

thanks,
tim
Kit is good to go right out of the box for your boys. No need to do anything until they graduate out of the novice class. If you are running stock 17.5, I would get pucks, slipper eliminator, aluminum top shaft to start. You can also get rear b5 arms and reverse them. Also straight front arms with matching tower when you get the $.
Micah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #9462
Super Moderator
 
racer1812's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 14,699
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

rc speed, are you yourself looking to run stock or mod with YOUR B5M?
__________________
Stand for the flag, kneel for the fallen.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #9463
Tech Regular
 
shannow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: France Paris
Posts: 388
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hi all,

I have a little setup question :

I'm running a B5m with shorty on super stock (13.5t with lots of timing) basically completely stock setup.
I have the same tires as everybody on the club (schum mini pin + cut stagger both yellow compound ) running on good grip carpet.
My issue is that the car tends do fight me on mid corners.
I can't zip around as fast as the others. It lets go sideways brutally but can be controlled back again almost instantly up to 2-3times in one corner.
From a viewer it looks like I'm fighting the car and that it's got a sort of side jumping(brutal sliding) ability.
Looking at many guys setup on similar track they have put stiffer spring all around but especially at the front (no one owns the b5m at my club apart from one guy that didn't show up for a while).
Would that help ? I also have a gear diff set at 2000 which I refill on a very regular basis.

Thank in advance

Jonathan
shannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #9464
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,909
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannow View Post
Hi all,

I have a little setup question :

I'm running a B5m with shorty on super stock (13.5t with lots of timing) basically completely stock setup.
I have the same tires as everybody on the club (schum mini pin + cut stagger both yellow compound ) running on good grip carpet.
My issue is that the car tends do fight me on mid corners.
I can't zip around as fast as the others. It lets go sideways brutally but can be controlled back again almost instantly severa
Mine did the same thing until I dropped a little weight and ran my electronics inline. I did both at the same time, so I cant really say which change was the best. Probably the inline electronics.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #9465
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 507
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
rc speed, are you yourself looking to run stock or mod with YOUR B5M?
17.5 stock
__________________
Colorado On-Road RC Club
www.5280raceway.com
www.facebook.com/CORtrack
Driving: Xray T4 2015, T.O.P. Rebel 12, Durango DEX8T, Durango DEX408 v2, Associated B5M, Associated B44.2
rc_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:46 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net