R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 11-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #9286
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
What motor are you running? I have no problem with pull out of the corners in blinky. I'm geared 72/30 with a tekin gen2 motor.
In stock Trinity D4 17.5, not the Maxilla though, which I'm wondering if I should have went with. I've gone from the 30d end bell timing out of the box up to as high as 60d. I've tried 69, 72, 75, & 78 with from 31-34 pinion. Started with 69/31 but I read on here a post that said the sweet spot for this motor was 78/30 with max timing. One mistake I caught myself making was setting the gear mess to tight, but even with it looser it just seems like I don't have good drive off. Its not a bite issue either, in fact when the car is planted it really won't jump off the turn, like there's just not enough power.

In mod Tekin 8.5 since that's the max the esc can handle. 78 or 81 spur with 20-23 pinion. Similar prob, not as bad, but top speed is pretty good.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #9287
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
That is what I am currently running. Dialed. Shorten your shock shaft stroke to 18.5mm. (i think you go from 2mm to 4mm internal limiters).
Thanks, I was wondering why this guy had 4 shims in the front shocks
Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #9288
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This really isn't a b5m question but it's the car I'm running anyway. What foams are you guys using in the front tires?? Been running a few jconcepts tires and just use the stock foam. Been fighting push in my car for the last few races and think it could be the now flat feeling front tires. Thanks
Badcompny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #9289
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcompny44 View Post
This really isn't a b5m question but it's the car I'm running anyway. What foams are you guys using in the front tires?? Been running a few jconcepts tires and just use the stock foam. Been fighting push in my car for the last few races and think it could be the now flat feeling front tires. Thanks
http://www.amain.com/jconcepts-dirt-tech-1-10-2wd-buggy-closed-cell-front-insert-2/p298891

Dirt tech inserts are the way to go. Even in sale right now along with their tires. These inserts are firm at first but break in very well.
3srcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #9290
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The dirt tech c.c. inserts work really well if the tracks grip level is right obviously. Alot of times i will run a fully buggy rear foam o.c type. I switch back and forth between barcodes and dirt webs also. Alot of it depends on the moisture of the track at the time.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #9291
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCroskey View Post
Thanks. I hadn't thought about weight bias. What role does the motors torque and RPM play in the making a choice? I'm thinking a low torque motor would have a hard time spinning a larger pinion with a small spur vs a small pinion with a larger spur. I've tried different combinations and I'm not getting the results I expect..
No no no.. Larger pinion AND larger spur, can give you the same gear ratio. Smaller pinion AND smaller spur, can give you the same gear ratio. It simply moves the motor forward or backwards without changing your gearing.

What you just said here above, was larger pinion and SMALLER spur. Which changes your gearing.

You need to gear your motor/car correctly first, regardless of where you decide to place the motor in the car (farther forward, or father back). For example, you might choose 69/31 to keep the motor further back, or 72/32 to move it slightly more forward (same basic gearing).
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #9292
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

This weekend we had the "Arizona State Championships" at SRS. Most everyone ran MM in Expert Stock. I tried both and turned about the same lap times, but I preferred the MM. I have gotten way to used to a flat jumping car. And the MM was way smoother and easier to drive. That being said, Scott Spears took second in Expert 17.5 buggy with the B5 rear motor car and his car looked great. He was the only RM car in the amain. But I will say this, the RM cars seem to jump further. I put the same motor in my RM and MM cars and geared for temps. My RM car had way more acceleration and distance off a triple, and could do it for 12 laps. My MM car could only clear it for 2-3 laps. But IMO, the MM made up for it in the corners on the rest of the track. Keep in mind, we have high bite. Most everyone runs clay slicks on a damp and tacky surface. No tire sauce requires for wheelies.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #9293
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Where did u end up finishin wildcat? Some fellow racers went down to that race...said they had a good time
Old 11-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #9294
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter36 View Post
Where did u end up finishin wildcat? Some fellow racers went down to that race...said they had a good time
Lets not make this about me.....lol. I blew out and my car could have been better. Who do you know that came down?
Old 11-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #9295
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone. I searched the thread but mostly found posts on binding ball cups. Anyone have a problem threading them? I tried last night but could not get them to start. Before I drill, anybody got a better solution? I turned and turned them but they wouldnt bite.
JHKracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #9296
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHKracing View Post
Hi everyone. I searched the thread but mostly found posts on binding ball cups. Anyone have a problem threading them? I tried last night but could not get them to start. Before I drill, anybody got a better solution? I turned and turned them but they wouldnt bite.
Make sure you are threading them the right way (Not trying to say you're stupid or anything, it's an easy mistake) if the end of the tie rod you're threading has the notch then it is left hand thread and you must thread it left to tighten and then opposite on the other side without the notch (obviously) because I didn't have any issue threading mine. Also make sure you put black grease or chapstick inside the ball cup

Proud To Represent: Fantom Racing - Schelle Racing - FastTraxx Hobbies
dbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #9297
tc1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFuel11 View Post
I am curious what your thoughts may be on the following:

My B5M is almost perfect. We run on a medium to lower traction surface indoors. The B5M has been fantastic taking the win last weekend. I would like to obtain just a little more rear grip or forward bite upon corner exit. The car tends to step out a little bit right when you pick up the throttle on exit. Keep in mind again car is really good and this can be managed with throttle, however I was curious what a few of you thing of these options... I will test some later this week as well.

1. Go down in rear spring rate to allow rear to drop faster on throttle currently on white and may try green.
2. Go down in rear shock oil. Currently at 30 may try 27.5 with the 1.6 piston
3. Go down to 0 degrees anti-squat vs current 1 degree
4. Go up in front spring rate as I am currently on green and may go up to white or gray.
5. Move battery back as it is one foam from back position now.

Being car is still rotating off corner would a role center change improve this as well. I am running Schelle Caster Plate in up position with no shims.

Thanks!

JRF
You want MY thoughts? I got a whole list of stuff im gocnna try tomorrow night. Gonna start with roll center(longer links and moving them down. Also gonna try the 0 antisquat thing, but not real sure how that will affect jumping. Definitely gonna go back to the standard rear arms. I dont think i like the angle the rear motor arms put into the shocks and camber link. I will keep ya posted to what I find out.

Travis
tc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #9298
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1st time running my 17.5 B5M I finished 2nd at Full Throttle's Mayhem race. I love it so much more than my B4.1. The thing is a rocket with the MIP 17.5 goodies.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jjlove1217?feature=mhee
https://www.facebook.com/jim.hustins.rc.racer
Jim Hustins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #9299
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gierse View Post
Does anybody know how much the aluminum screw kit saves in weight?
You would be surprised how much weight can be shed with aluminum screws! Exactly how much? I don't know. It's close to a 50% reduction at least!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #9300
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHKracing View Post
I have an easy way to start new ball cups.
If you have a body reamer, open up the very end just a tad. If you don't an X-Acto blade can do the same thing being careful. squirt a lil black grease inside and thread on the turnbuckle. thread them on and off several times to get the threads cut in well and you should be good to go! Wipe off any excess grease after your done!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote