R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #9226
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me View Post
I run on a Med-med/high traction clay track and I'm running 3+1.5 and my car is hooked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrichter View Post
I'm assuming you are running a 3/1 toe block with .5 deg in the hub?

Skrichter, you are reading the numbers incorrectly... He is running the C block that would give 3* inboard toe, and 1.5* rear anti squat.
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #9227
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

hey guys, had my first run last weekend with my b5m and seems I have very weak braking. I know its not the electronics because I tried different esc, motor, receiver. I am running a gear diff and the slipper was set loose because of traction. I think i remember hearing a loose slipper can cause weak brakes but just wondering how to get good brakes and also let the slipper slip coming out of turns.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #9228
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to HBRob

Just have to tighten it up some. Yes, the slipper can slip both under acceleration as well as braking. Also, depending on your slipper (if you are on Avid) you could go to a more aggressive pad (red). May help.
#ocrcarmy
HBRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #9229
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham11 View Post
hey guys, had my first run last weekend with my b5m and seems I have very weak braking. I know its not the electronics because I tried different esc, motor, receiver. I am running a gear diff and the slipper was set loose because of traction. I think i remember hearing a loose slipper can cause weak brakes but just wondering how to get good brakes and also let the slipper slip coming out of turns.
The slipper is a shock absorber for the gearbox. You don't want to set it uncharacteristically loose, as if to act as a clutch to aid in throttle control. That isn't what it is there for, and you will just burn it up. You don't "let the slipper slip coming out of turns".
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #9230
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
The slipper is a shock absorber for the gearbox. You don't want to set it uncharacteristically loose, as if to act as a clutch to aid in throttle control. That isn't what it is there for, and you will just burn it up. You don't "let the slipper slip coming out of turns".
Well a Factory Team Associated driver did it for me so cant imagine he would advise me to do something that doesn't work and/or would damage my car. And it wasn't set loose for throttle control, its set loose for traction control and yes that is what a slipper is designed for, the slipper reduces wheelspin as the car accelerates from low speeds, so the car accelerates faster and is less prone to spin out exiting turns on slick tracks. Additionally and more obviously the slipper reduces sudden forces on the inside of the transmission.

But the issue is my brakes.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #9231
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well a Factory Team Associated driver did it for me so cant imagine he would advise me to do something that doesn't work and/or would damage my car. And it wasn't set loose for throttle control, its set loose for traction control and yes that is what a slipper is designed for, the slipper reduces wheelspin as the car accelerates from low speeds, so the car accelerates faster and is less prone to spin out exiting turns on slick tracks. Additionally and more obviously the slipper reduces sudden forces on the inside of the transmission.

Seems the slipper would have to be way loose to have much impact on braking. There is less weight on the rear tires under braking than when accelerating with a 2wd. Typically a 2wd needs the brakes turned down with the ESC/radio quite a bit to prevent excessive lockups, at least in my experience with various brands of each component. Way too loose in my opinion, I'd be concerned the slipper would heat up and be inconsistent over the run.

Of course that's not what you asked, but it's easy enough to test, just tighten the slipper some and see if the brakes improve.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #9232
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:

Actually a slipper clutch is not designed for traction control at all...

The slipper clutch protects the drive train. It slips in order to protect the drive axle joints and the gears in the gearbox from overloading while slaming on the brakes after landing from a jump
Old 11-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #9233
Tech Addict

Pardon my ignorance here, but building my B5M after switching from another brand. Building the shocks, and the spring cups have different lengths. I assume this is the "offset" the manual talks about, but where is this offset measured from?

Thanks!
Seth
3D-Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #9234
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
Pardon my ignorance here, but building my B5M after switching from another brand. Building the shocks, and the spring cups have different lengths. I assume this is the "offset" the manual talks about, but where is this offset measured from?

Thanks!
Seth
Just use the spring cups that give you plenty of thread in both directions on the shock body when your car is at race-ready right height. Takes 3 seconds to swap them. Without looking.. i think the medium ones?
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #9235
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebombster View Post
Actually a slipper clutch is not designed for traction control at all...

The slipper clutch protects the drive train. It slips in order to protect the drive axle joints and the gears in the gearbox from overloading while slaming on the brakes after landing from a jump
I think some people use it as a traction tune when the track is loose and throttle finger is heavy though that may not be the intended purpose it is there. I know when our track gets loose a few guys start loosening their slipper.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #9236
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
If you've ruled out the car electronics and the slipper isn't so loose it's about to fall off, then look at your radio end points, dual rate, and make sure it's calibrated to your speedo correctly. Also check the brakes programmed into the esc.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #9237
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Everyone has given great suggestions to fixing your brakes. If none of it works the only other thing it could be is your diff. If it is installed backwards they can loosen up significantly. I know it sounds dumb but apparently it can happen. The diff nut should be on the drivers side of the car
Old 11-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #9238
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter36 View Post
Everyone has given great suggestions to fixing your brakes. If none of it works the only other thing it could be is your diff. If it is installed backwards they can loosen up significantly. I know it sounds dumb but apparently it can happen. The diff nut should be on the drivers side of the car
The thrust bearing hex should be opposite of the spur gear not on the same side
Old 11-22-2014, 04:20 AM   #9239
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default rcshox garolight slipper

So im running the b4 2 disc , garodisc slipper. What is the best way to adjust? Im having a hard time. It seems that its loose where it should be, but once warmed up its like its locked. If i loosen it a hair then it just slips. Any advise?

- Chris Kline
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #9240
Tech Elite

I'm not new to RC so thanks for all the suggestions but I've tried all radio, esc, motor, basically all electronic stuff. So that is why I came here to ask about the b5m specifically and I'm not here to argue about the purposes of slippers, yes it does help with drivetrain impact as I said as well but it also helps w traction control whether you want to use it that way it is up to you but all that aside, still can't figure out my brakes haha, as I mentioned I'm not running a ball diff, just put a gear diff in, first time using a gear diff in a 2wd, can these be put in backwards and effect brakes?