R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 11-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #8896
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
yeah, you have to mod it. IMO it is a must. Wings come in all different thicknesses, and screwing the wing on make sense to me. Also, my wings last longer and are more secure with the screw on wings. There are plenty of post on here about how to do it. Exotek makes alum wing mounts and some spy shots have been seen for a JC alum wing mount. I prefer the "give" of the modded plastic ones.
I've seen the Exotek piece at it is nice, but wasn't sure if it just transfers the impact to the tower. I'll have to look up the mod for using the buttons
Old 11-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #8897
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld2llio View Post
I won't argue the MT4 is nice but that radio is in a completely different class. The 3PL is barely over $100 and the Rx are under $40.
you are correct. I read that as "4PL". I have a 3PL at home for my 8 year old. I hate it. The menu sucks, feels like a toy and it does not have sub trims. If you want to stay in that budget range, get this. I have recommended it to many local racers on a budget and they are all very happy with it.

http://www.amain.com/Airtronics-MX-V...ceiver/p260511
Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #8898
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironzgti35 View Post
I've seen the Exotek piece at it is nice, but wasn't sure if it just transfers the impact to the tower. I'll have to look up the mod for using the buttons
put the wing shim on without the wing. Use a shark razor blade and cut the nubs off flush the wing shim. Center drill a "pilot" hole. Then drill a slightly undersized hole for the 3mm screws. That is how I did mine.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #8899
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsj2 View Post
That was my thoughts on that radio. Figured I could get a budget radio for now and upgrade later.
IMO that is opposite of how it should be. I think a good radio is just as important if not more important than good electronics or a good car. I would get a good radio before I would get a high price ESC or motor or any upgrades, but that is just me.

I have an MT4 myself and I absolutely love it! It is by far the best radio for the money. Just use a coupon code on amain and get it for even cheaper.

Proud To Represent: Fantom Racing - Schelle Racing - FastTraxx Hobbies
dbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #8900
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowen View Post
IMO that is opposite of how it should be. I think a good radio is just as important if not more important than good electronics or a good car. I would get a good radio before I would get a high price ESC or motor or any upgrades, but that is just me.

I have an MT4 myself and I absolutely love it! It is by far the best radio for the money. Just use a coupon code on amain and get it for even cheaper.
+1 I would get the Hobbywing justock esc, which will save you a big chunk of change, and get a better radio now. The HW may be inexpensive, but they are very good.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #8901
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Brandon, did you scale the car before and after? If so how much % change Front/Rear

Also has anyone differentiated between mounting the esc behind the battery vs in front?
i dont know the answer to the first question, but i do know that the difference between mounting the esc in front or behind the shorty is Negligible. but putting it behind wins because it keeps the wires shorter thus making the car lighter. if anybody remembers... waaaay back when WC and TRCR fasties first started using th inline shorty this was tested. remember back when WC was claimimg the new golden setup... and everybody said it was a trend... oh wait it became pretty standard didnt it?
ryanpatrickgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #8902
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowen View Post

I see an MT-4 ($219) and an MT-4S ($299)

Which one do you guys recommend?
millsj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #8903
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpatrickgore View Post
i dont know the answer to the first question, but i do know that the difference between mounting the esc in front or behind the shorty is Negligible. but putting it behind wins because it keeps the wires shorter thus making the car lighter. if anybody remembers... waaaay back when WC and TRCR fasties first started using th inline shorty this was tested. remember back when WC was claimimg the new golden setup... and everybody said it was a trend... oh wait it became pretty standard didnt it?
Is the inline setup geared towards stock? I run mod buggy with some of the fastest drivers on the east coast and they are still mounting there shorty sideways and back.

Serpent America: Triton engines/ Nitro pro.Fuel/ Rc Addiction products : Vp pro Usa/Dialed-Rc
Barnstormers: Chester, NY, N.Y.. IRH Lindenhurst
Vinny Cancilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #8904
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Brandon, did you scale the car before and after? If so how much % change Front/Rear

Also has anyone differentiated between mounting the esc behind the battery vs in front?
I didn't.. but another racer at my track did just that, and if I recall, 2% shift to the front tires. My car in particular, I didn't really bother. The car is a TAD light though, coming in at 1519 grams.... I want to be closer to 1550, so I will probably ballast 30 or so grams to the rear of the car.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #8905
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Cancilla View Post
Is the inline setup geared towards stock? I run mod buggy with some of the fastest drivers on the east coast and they are still mounting there shorty sideways and back.
Factory guys here are running in-line.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #8906
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsj2 View Post
Anything you guys would add or change here?

ESC: Tekin RS GEN 2 SPEC Sensored Brushless ESC

Radio: Futaba 3PL 2.4GHz FHSS Radio System w/R2004GF Receiver

Servo: Savox SC-1258TG Standard Digital "High Speed" Titanium Gear Servo

Battery: Team Orion 2S "Carbon Pro" 100C Li-Poly Shorty Pack Battery w/Tubes (7.4V/4500mAh)
1. I would not run the Tekin ESC. Great support, but the esc is lacking in feel and power delevery compared to others. If budget is a concern, run the Hobbywing Just stock. If you want to future proof your esc and spend a few more bucks, I can't recommend the Hobbywing stockspec v3.1 enough. Best ESC I have run to date

2. The 3PL will be a waste of money. My personal opinion, is now that the 4PX is out... 4Pks are selling for less than half price, and they are an AMAZING radio. Go used. Better than the Mt4.

3. Personally don't like the Savox servos. Great bang for the buck, but still wouldn't run one. I run Futaba BLS451 servos in my rigs. A few more bucks, but totally worth it.

4. I think the Orion Carbon line of lipos are really soft. If you are going to be running 17.5, i'd stay away from them. I can't recommend the new black cased Fantom Shorty lipos enough. Great price, ridiculous speed and punch... my latest two packs have IRs ratings below 1miliohm. (I think .5 and .9 if I remember correctly).

Just my $.03
- RCSpecialties -
Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #8907
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i run hobby wing v 3.1 and is great along with the mt4s..battery try smc ,great packs for the price smc.com...I ve been racing since 1987 so i seen a lot of surf..lol
Just my .02.
hobbywing esc, airtronics controlled MT4s
advpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #8908
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Switched from a Viper VTX10 to a Hobbywing Just Stock and it felt smoother. Going to switch my B44 over to Hobbywing next...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #8909
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by advpball View Post
i run hobby wing v 3.1 and is great along with the mt4s..battery try smc ,great packs for the price smc.com...I ve been racing since 1987 so i seen a lot of surf..lol
Just my .02.
my set up exactly, stock spec though.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #8910
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Designs View Post
my set up exactly, stock spec though.
Hey...Don't copy me.