R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 02-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #871
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Wonder if MIP is working on a Puck system for the B5 and if they are when will it be released?

That would be a nice upgrade for 17.5 racing.

🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻💪😃👍🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #872
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

more FT goodies

http://www.youtube.com/user/jjlove1217?feature=mhee
https://www.facebook.com/jim.hustins.rc.racer
Jim Hustins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #873
Tech Master

then add the turnbuckles, hinge pins, blue nuts and washers.... BS on them not making a FT kit.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #874
Tech Apprentice

I like the choices they've made to hit a price point. And I'm seeing a number of blue parts in the kit already, if that's your thing. The kit bellcranks look very strong to me, no reason to waste money there. I would say just some Punisher turnbuckles for $20, and the rear clamping hexes for convenience. Spend your money on tires and track time...
will5879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #875
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hustins View Post
BS on them not making a FT kit.
AE's design engineer confirmed that there will be an FT kit on the last page.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #876
Tech Rookie

Default b5 setup need advice

I am getting a Team associated b5 mid when it comes out and here's what I am planning on running...

Tekin gen2 rs/redline combo (8.5 or10.5? what would you recommend?)
spectrum dx3c radio
spectrum s6040 servo
proline suburbs all around? (if not what other tires)

Would you recommend a venom saddle packs or a gens ace shorty pack?(both 2s around 4000 mah)

my other two motor options would be lrp flow works combo or tekin rsx combo, what would be the best choice.(I run on a well maintained Clay track)

I could really use some help with making sure this car will work great if you have any other advice please share!

Last edited by Gardella24; 02-02-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Gardella24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #877
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by will5879 View Post
I like the choices they've made to hit a price point. And I'm seeing a number of blue parts in the kit already, if that's your thing. The kit bellcranks look very strong to me, no reason to waste money there. I would say just some Punisher turnbuckles for $20, and the rear clamping hexes for convenience. Spend your money on tires and track time...
+1

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #878
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardella24 View Post
I am getting a Team associated b5 mid when it comes out and here's what I am planning on running...

spectrum dx3c radio
spectrum s6040 servo

Would you recommend a venom saddle packs or a gens ace shorty pack?(both 2s around 4000 mah)

my other two motor options would be lrp flow works combo or tekin rsx combo, what would be the best choice.(I run on a well maintained Clay track)

I could really use some help with making sure this car will work great if you have any other advice please share!
Personally, i would upgrade the radio to a DX4S or a DX3R before going with an expensive motor/esc combo. They have a higher frame rate and it translates into a smoother feel. I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Hobbywing esc. I recently bought a Trackstar Turnigy 120A turbo esc and 5.5t motor from HobbyKing with programmer for under a $100 and power delivery feels smoother than my Tekin RS gen 2 combo but it takes up a lot more space and weighs more. They don't have much in the way of support though and no manual. Spektrum 6040 has worked awesome. Not one problem in two years of racing with it in my 2wd and it's fairly light. Battery wise it's really all about preference. Running mod doesn't require a high C rating like stock but it does use up more juice.
Team Associated B5, B5m, SCB
Naters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #879
Tech Regular

Quote:
then add the turnbuckles, hinge pins, blue nuts and washers.... BS on them not making a FT kit.
If I were you I'd wait for the FT kit to come out (that makes my chance of getting my "basic" kit sooner!!!!)
Bcholka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:01 AM   #880
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by will5879 View Post
yup, there is nothing else there to make you any faster, one of the designers said that himself.
knapsty637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #881
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcholka View Post
If I were you I'd wait for the FT kit to come out (that makes my chance of getting my "basic" kit sooner!!!!)
Good strategy. My B4.1 is still dialed. So I will be waiting for the FT B5m.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #882
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the FT kit will be a few months down the road. They want to see if anything needs to be modified / strengthened. I would not be surprised if you don't see a FT kit until next fall winter. Figure they need 3-5 months of solid running to see what needs to be changed, then test it and run it at the Nationals over the summer. Then time to do the advertising, new manual, packaging, etc.

That's fine with me. I will run the hell out of the team cars and replace the parts with the FT parts as they come in. By the time the FT kits come out, I'll be ready for new cars anyway.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:00 AM   #883
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
more FT goodies

have them all already on order :P
Old 02-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #884
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wever75 View Post
So thats were its at aye? Ill do the redline 8.5T with the rs speedo
I find the Tekin's run best with a little boost. Better feel. I would go 10.5.
chevmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #885
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardella24 View Post

spectrum dx3c radio
spectrum s6040 servo

Hideeho
The motor (8.5t vs 10.5t) depends on your track size, layout, &, most importantly, skill level. You just joined, so I have no idea your skill level or experience, but if you are new I would recomend something with higher # of turns, 13.5t or even 17.5t. Even if you aren't running stock class a 17.5t is MUCH easier to drive. If you are on a smallish (sub-20 second laps) a boosted 17.5t can keep up with an 8.5t that has been turned down.

I agree on the radio. It doesn't seem like a lot, but the lower latency of the more expensive raio does make a difference.

Spektrum servos are rebranded Savox servos, which iirc, are slightly cheaper. The Spektrum s6040 & Savox 1258 are the same servo. Also look at the Savox 1257, slightly less torque but more speed. I prefer the 1258.

Tires are EXTREMELY track dependant & will change during the course of a race day. This will be you largest investment, but it is made small amounts at a time. Go to the track & ask the guy who won the race what tire, compound, & insert he is running. All 3 of those make a difference.

A saddle pack weighs more & will make the buggy feel more stable. Depending on your experience & skill, this can be a very good thing or a not so good thing. I would recommend a saddle pack if your new. For brand, I would recommend staying with an established, well known, & respected brand. Both that you mentioned are good. Turnigy from Hobbyking.com is decent if your on a budget. My personal preference is www.SMC-racing.net. I use a saddle pack, a shorty & a 4s from them.

The RS gen2 is a very good choice. LRP flow & RSX are overkill unless your are planning to run a 6.5t or lower (stupid overkill in a 2wd buggy). I have heard (but not done it personally) that while it is rated at 8.5t or higher, the RS gen2 will have no problems with a 7.5t in a 2wd 1/10 buggy because of the light weight. But be warned, IT IS NOT RATED FOR IT!
Waflet is offline   Reply With Quote