R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 10-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #8251
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade67 View Post
None of my comments have been directed at you, I was responding to the "take another look at the MIP setup and think it over then get back to me" from the other person... And you're right, if you could tell the motor to spin the other direction then it wouldn't matter and they could have kept the motor mount setup on the same side as 4 gear trans while only using 3gears, but with the way that MIP 3 Gear trans was designed there is no need for the ability to reverse the motor direction...
Except for the fact that motor rotation direction has a dramatic affect on how the car drives.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #8252
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Except for the fact that motor rotation direction has a dramatic affect on how the car drives.
^^^^^ Gooood point. That's a minor detail.
RC Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #8253
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
I was not originally talking about motor direction...

I just commented on why the motor was mounted on two different sides when it related to a 3 gear setup vs 4 gear setup...

My only comment about motor rotation was that the quoted individual in my post was right after they addressed me saying that a motor "could" be reverse on an ESC... Technically they are right, didn't say that it was the right way to do it
Jade67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #8254
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrib21 View Post
So maybe this is a funny question but why don they just go to a two gear setup for the mm car? You would keep the motor rotation correct and eliminate more moving parts.
It would be a challenge to have enough room for the spur gear to clear the driveshafts, while also keeping the diff & shafts low enough in the chassis (not an excessively large diff gear). I've wondered if it might be possible for stock with the smaller spur gears used, but never tried to lay it out to see. Seriously doubt if it could work for modified.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #8255
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrib21 View Post
So maybe this is a funny question but why don they just go to a two gear setup for the mm car? You would keep the motor rotation correct and eliminate more moving parts.
I believe the reason is to keep the FINAL DRIVE RATIO correct without having to use larger gears which in turn would equal the same amount of rotating mass. I may be wrong just my thoughts.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #8256
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to mschumi101

Quote:
Not necessarily. If you are talking about how the rotation will alter the pitch of the car, that is primarily due to the tires. The tires are the largest, and heaviest rotating object in the drivetrain. Their change in angular momentum is what pitches the car up and down. The motor rotation would slightly affect this pitch, but is negligible compared to the tires/wheels.
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #8257
Tech Master

I was answering the question but not in proper context. Even though we were talking about the MIP tranny my bad.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #8258
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post
Not necessarily. If you are talking about how the rotation will alter the pitch of the car, that is primarily due to the tires. The tires are the largest, and heaviest rotating object in the drivetrain. Their change in angular momentum is what pitches the car up and down. The motor rotation would slightly affect this pitch, but is negligible compared to the tires/wheels.
The motor is spinning considerably faster which comes into play. Not saying the 2 driven tires aren't significant, they are, but so is the motor.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #8259
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post
Totally necessarily. When I ran the Dex, you can swap the gearbox back and forth to either have the motor run forward, or backwards. On-throttle, one way torques the chassis towards the rear of the car putting more pressure on the rear tires (on power push), while rotating the motor the other way torques the chassis towards the front tires (on power steering). So not even talking about changing pitch in the air... on the ground, the car drove completely different.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:52 AM   #8260
Tech Adept

Default shock shaft size

Missing two e-clips for securing piston on the shock shaft. What size is the e-clip? I meant to put it in my pocket this morning, forgot it. Would like to buy a few on the way home this afternoon. Thanks!
mackelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #8261
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

1/8"

Associated Part # 6299
Jeepy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #8262
Tech Adept

Thanks Jeepy!
Old 10-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #8263
Tech Adept

Default alu. top shaft and mip pucks bi-metal

will alu. top shaft and mip pucks bi-metal wear out too fast with 13.5?
ronzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #8264
Tech Adept

Default shock build

Built 2 shocks last nite. I know that isn't much in one night but my carpal tunnel is really acting up. Surgery in almost a month. Back to question. When i pull the shaft out (shock extended) and turn loose of one it wants to recede back up into the shock body(not far but some), the other one does not. Which one has the air trapped in it?
Old 10-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #8265
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackelby View Post
Built 2 shocks last nite. I know that isn't much in one night but my carpal tunnel is really acting up. Surgery in almost a month. Back to question. When i pull the shaft out (shock extended) and turn loose of one it wants to recede back up into the shock body(not far but some), the other one does not. Which one has the air trapped in it?
It creates a slight vacuum when bleeding. Pump the shaft in and out a few times (what she said...) and this will even out.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote