R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #8236
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

I'm having a hard time getting a good balance between good grip and good steering using the shorty packs right now. I move it back I have awesome grip and horrible steering push, I move it forward I get better steering, then I'm struggling for traction and spinning out.

I also just switched over from SMC shorty packs to the Revtech Formula X shorty, I think the Revtech "brck" is about 100 grams heavier. My car is right around 1576 grams right now with the shorty pack.
Jeepy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #8237
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy2013 View Post
I'm having a hard time getting a good balance between good grip and good steering using the shorty packs right now. I move it back I have awesome grip and horrible steering push, I move it forward I get better steering, then I'm struggling for traction and spinning out.

I also just switched over from SMC shorty packs to the Revtech Formula X shorty, I think the Revtech "brck" is about 100 grams heavier. My car is right around 1576 grams right now with the shorty pack.
I was fighting the same issue with mine as well last night during the first heat. I went and talked with one of the AE Guys at my local track and he suggested adding 3mm spacers under the ball studs on the FT Rear Hubs and then remove the 2mm spacer from under the other ballstud. He also recommended taking moving the upper rear shock mount to the inner most hole and change to white rear springs... Dropped .4secs off my fastest lap time and about the same off my 15 lap average.

I am sitting at 1533grams with a Revtech Shorty. If I need a heavier battery then I just switch to my Orion Saddles because they are about 80grams heavier
Jade67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #8238
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade67 View Post
Yes
Take a look at the new MIP trans and then take a look at the current B5M trans. Pay attention to the differences then think about what you're looking at for a few minutes and then get back to me.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #8239
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I know this is simple also but I made one of those same adjustments on both of my mm's... Was fighting traction and a horrible push no matter how i locked in my shorty pack. All i did was move my rear shock tower position to inner most hole and went to 3mm trailing on my front hubs and left my smc battery in the rear position and it gave me a very good blend... Car is really dialed now!! No more pushing and I almost have to much rear grip!!
deftones.jt@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #8240
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones.jt@gma View Post
I know this is simple also but I made one of those same adjustments on both of my mm's... Was fighting traction and a horrible push no matter how i locked in my shorty pack. All i did was move my rear shock tower position to inner most hole and went to 3mm trailing on my front hubs and left my smc battery in the rear position and it gave me a very good blend... Car is really dialed now!! No more pushing and I almost have to much rear grip!!
I'm gonna give that a shot, I believe that is similar to one of Cavalieri's set ups on some indoor tracks.

Last edited by Jeepy2013; 10-02-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Jeepy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #8241
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKAOG View Post
Take a look at the new MIP trans and then take a look at the current B5M trans. Pay attention to the differences then think about what you're looking at for a few minutes and then get back to me.
They dropped a gear so it is a 3 gear AND MOVED THE MOTOR to face the other direction... Just like the standard Rear motor setup... If they kept the same motor placement/direction and dropped a gear you would be going backwards and in a hurry
Old 10-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #8242
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKAOG View Post
What point are you trying to make?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #8243
Tech Rookie

Quick question. Whats the best way to punch an air hole in a tire? I have seen guys use a variety of things. What works the best?
JHKracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #8244
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHKracing View Post
Quick question. Whats the best way to punch an air hole in a tire? I have seen guys use a variety of things. What works the best?
Leather punch
Old 10-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #8245
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuHaWong View Post
Leather punch
Thats what I was looking for! Thanks!
JHKracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #8246
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
They dropped a gear so it is a 3 gear AND MOVED THE MOTOR to face the other direction... Just like the standard Rear motor setup... If they kept the same motor placement/direction and dropped a gear you would be going backwards and in a hurry
Unless you reverse the rotation of the motor... which is why I asked if there are any modern ESC's that can't do this. With most of the current ESC's you can tell the motor to spin whichever way you want.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #8247
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni View Post
Unless you reverse the rotation of the motor... which is why I asked if there are any modern ESC's that can't do this. With most of the current ESC's you can tell the motor to spin whichever way you want.
None of my comments have been directed at you, I was responding to the "take another look at the MIP setup and think it over then get back to me" from the other person... And you're right, if you could tell the motor to spin the other direction then it wouldn't matter and they could have kept the motor mount setup on the same side as 4 gear trans while only using 3gears, but with the way that MIP 3 Gear trans was designed there is no need for the ability to reverse the motor direction...
Old 10-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #8248
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
None of my comments have been directed at you, I was responding to the "take another look at the MIP setup and think it over then get back to me" from the other person... And you're right, if you could tell the motor to spin the other direction then it wouldn't matter and they could have kept the motor mount setup on the same side as 4 gear trans while only using 3gears, but with the way that MIP 3 Gear trans was designed there is no need for the ability to reverse the motor direction...
Sorry, I thought Skeeter's earlier post was yours and believed I was re-replying to the same statement/question
Old 10-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #8249
Tech Regular

It's all good
Old 10-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #8250
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok making the switch to mid motor this month I've decided. The MIP trans looks interesting, I will have to keep my eye on it. We have a local MIP driver here that is really nice so I will have to try his and see how I like it. I can see pros and cons to it but so far MIP hasn't dissapointed with anything so I will give it the benefit of the doubt until we can see how it works. As far as the body goes that's a silly thing to worry about since it will be super easy to trim the other side out. The only bad thing there is you will need another body unless you want a gap on the other side, either way no big deal.
scythe23 is offline   Reply With Quote