R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #7996
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFuel11 View Post
Jade67...this is not directed at you, as if I was running a 17.5 class with a mid motor I would do exactly the same thing! With that said I think we are spending a silly amount of money on upgrades to keep the weight down on the mid motor cars. The cost factor can not be good for the hobby in the long run. Would be good time to increase min. weight to 1600 grams... Just a thought.
Lucky for me I got mine as a roller with the pucks, topshaft, aluminum hubs, etc all already installed for $200 so that definitely helped offset the cost. It definitely adds up in a hurry but it's still cheaper than building my drag quad... People think $100 for titanium screws, turnbuckles, etc are expensive. My Titanium swing arm bolt was $150 and it was one bolt...lol
Jade67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #7997
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
yeah, the weight is only part of the spending. I listen to guys talk about how they replace their packs every 6 race days. they dont even sell them, this toss them. stock is dumb, but it is so popular locally. Mod is mostly 3-5 guys. Rivkin, Tanner Denny and a few others make up the small class. Stock gets 3-5mains on clubs night and often on a wednesday. It is hard to not race stock, when that is where the competition is. That being said. Some of the low weight options are cheap. The cheapest is the 155g shorty. The best one is the pucks. Lower rotating mass and about 30 grams lost. I lost 23 grams by taping the pack in and removing the foams and battery strap. Using tq13 awg wire drops a bit of weight also. I lost 6 grams by shortening my servo lead to about 2 inches. IMO you need the Triad slipper regardless. The stock slipper is just bad. Just think. The rb6 cost 450 and they still do the same upgrades for stock, lol. Better to start at 250 and spend 200 and be better off than a box stock rb6
I never umderstand the appeal of "stock" guys are just throwing money at their car litening it amd trying to get away with cheater rotors etc. Why not just run mod? Thats all we run up here. A average race day sees 30-50 2wd entries. In my opinion mod shows who the better drivers are to have throttle control to harness the power and setup. Unlike stock which often is who cheated best or who threw the most money at their ride. It is so far from "stock" as the term is defined anyways.

Rant over.
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #7998
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Like kinda mentioned before, I think more people would run mod, because:

1. It's actually funner to race
2. Technically speaking more competition
3. It's cheaper.

The biggest problem they face when going to race mod, is there is just some mod drivers who are way to fast, and the newer guys will never be able to compete. So getting your doors blown off every race is no fun, we still would like some competition. That is my view point on it.
3srcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #7999
Tech Regular

Well, I am done enough to snap a few pics.

Just waiting on a speed control.

Thanks again for all the help!

jB

B5M | MBX-7Re | T5M | TC3 | RC10 "Graphite"
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #8000
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3srcracing View Post
Like kinda mentioned before, I think more people would run mod, because:

1. It's actually funner to race
2. Technically speaking more competition
3. It's cheaper.

The biggest problem they face when going to race mod, is there is just some mod drivers who are way to fast, and the newer guys will never be able to compete. So getting your doors blown off every race is no fun, we still would like some competition. That is my view point on it.
Haha, we have very fast stock guys here. Those guys that won ever win mod, also wont ever win stock. Lol, the other night Spencer Rivkin was running stock. Mod is just a dead class here. I am not sure why. I suspect some people fear the power. Why do the really fast guys not run mod? No idea.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #8001
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

it's really an easy solution, don't categorize by motor. Do it by skill level. Have Open and novice. Everyone runs open class except the actual beginners. They stay in the Novice class. Run what ever motors you want.

I think too many people are scared of being in the B or C Main and would rather run against lesser competition and see their name in the A. Get over it IMO.

/preachmodeover
Old 09-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #8002
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
it's really an easy solution, don't categorize by motor. Do it by skill level. Have Open and novice. Everyone runs open class except the actual beginners. They stay in the Novice class. Run what ever motors you want.

I think too many people are scared of being in the B or C Main and would rather run against lesser competition and see their name in the A. Get over it IMO.

/preachmodeover
Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #8003
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post

/preachmodeover
I can confirm, Bob speaks from experience

Some Mod drivers also don't want guys who wreck every lap in their heat because chances of them getting taken out are high.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #8004
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post

Some Mod drivers also don't want guys who wreck every lap in their heat because chances of them getting taken out are high.
That is what Resorts and Pre-sorts are for. Presorting is a good thing. At club races we know who is super fast, fast, avg and slow. just separate them from the start.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #8005
Tech Regular

So I'm building up my B5M for 17.5 when last night during a contemplative smoke break, I realized I would've spent less running mod. $90 Infinity, $90 D4 17.5, $80 Pucks, among quite a few others. Made me laugh considering I thought 17.5 would be a budget stock class so to speak. My ass! That beautiful Infinity conversion definitely screams "I AM NOT STOCK GAWD**MIT!!!" Lol

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #8006
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post

You know right well that I'm not afraid to get stomped on by anyone on the track I think I've perfected the art of 'letting the faster guy by'
Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #8007
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WillS Send a message via Yahoo to WillS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy 707 View Post
So I'm building up my B5M for 17.5 when last night during a contemplative smoke break, I realized I would've spent less running mod. $90 Infinity, $90 D4 17.5, $80 Pucks, among quite a few others. Made me laugh considering I thought 17.5 would be a budget stock class so to speak. My ass! That beautiful Infinity conversion definitely screams "I AM NOT STOCK GAWD**MIT!!!" Lol
Honestly, the infinity chassis is a benefit for stock or mod racing. Yes it takes off a lot of weight, but what do you get in return? The ability to adjust the flex of the chassis. So you can go from high bite to low bite and if your in need of more traction on low bite, you have a benefit over the competition. And Mod guys are running pucks as well so thats really not a difference in price. Motor prices are the same no matter what class you run so its really not difference in expense as well.

The alum/ti screws, alum/ti axles, and carbon shock towers are really the only things we put on these cars that are not worth the money we pay. Other than the aluminum version of pucks everything on my car is capable of running mod at any time. Stock racing is becoming a money game, but once the car is setup, you really dont have to buy anything after that until it breaks. And its stock racing, the wear and tear on parts is cut in half.

Motors can get a little outrageous when you look at the Fantom or Murphdogg motors that are just tuned trinity motors. And when I can run a $100 schuur speed or Team powers and be as fast if not faster than the fantom or murphdogg motors, why spend almost $200 on a motor.

As far as batteries go... I charge at 9a. At the stock nats, people would do a 30a discharge then throw the battery on the charger at 40a. Battery would come off at 8.44@ 100+ degrees. This is what needs to be stopped. This is what causes lipo fires, swelling of batteries and 6 runs-and-done batteries. This practice is what causes serious injuries and costs more money. But we all want to be the fastest those first few laps cause it does pay off if you can separate yourself from the rest of the field. If racers/manufacturers/organizations/tracks would monitor this, it would change and help the class tremendously.

As far as mod being faster. With outdoor it is but most indoor tracks are not big enough to really support modified power. People saying stock doesnt take throttle control or driving skill hasnt really seen top level stock class racing. Stock racing at the top levels is consistency, smooth lines, smooth trigger and hitting that same rhythm lap after lap. 1 crash in stock racing is equal to 1 position at the top levels.

ok rant over. Yes I am a stock racer and have a good understanding what it takes to make the car capable of winner circle as my local track has multiple world champions that race there on occasion and recent national level stock classes winners that race on a weekly basis.
Cheater Racing, Team Powers, Amain.com/Protek, Dialed RC Hobbies, Sweep Racing
WillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #8008
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At the track that we race at you have to start at novice when you are beginning. Once you win 3 races they move you up to stock 17.5... Once you show that you are proficient there then you can moved up to Pro Stock 13.5 and after the same thing with that then Mod is an option. Our stock buggy class is the most popular and most competitive of them all.
Jade67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #8009
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade67 View Post
At the track that we race at you have to start at novice when you are beginning. Once you win 3 races they move you up to stock 17.5... Once you show that you are proficient there then you can moved up to Pro Stock 13.5 and after the same thing with that then Mod is an option. Our stock buggy class is the most popular and most competitive of them all.
Is that 3 wins in one day, such as 2 qualifiers and the main or 3 main wins? I'm just starting out with my B5M but I'm proficient at racing in general. I was there Tuesday for some practice and tire breakin. I was thinking I would jump right into the 17.5 stock but maybe they will require me to go novice first .
Old 09-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #8010
Tech Fanatic

Well i can honestly say all i did was a inline setup with a short servo along with alluminum top shaft and rear hubs dnt know how much it weighs and dnt really care temps are good and power is great in a 17.5 reedy so all this talk about titanium this and that is all ubsurd
Scionara05 is offline   Reply With Quote