R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #7936
Tech Initiate
 
NoNothing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chattanooga TN
Posts: 43
Default

With all these posts about reducing slop in shock pivot points and ball cups I figured my hubs were knackered.

I guess they're normal and I'll keep an eye on it over time.

I've only got ~10 hours of track time on the car so far.
NoNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #7937
Tech Master
 
Jeepy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,033
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
With all these posts about reducing slop in shock pivot points and ball cups I figured my hubs were knackered.

I guess they're normal and I'll keep an eye on it over time.

I've only got ~10 hours of track time on the car so far.
Did you put set screws in the front and rear hub inserts? That will help tighten things up a tad if you haven't installed them.
Jeepy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #7938
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,083
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy2013 View Post
Your always going to have some "play" in a offroad car, if it was tight, it would all bind up once dirt gets into everything..
That's just flat out untrue. When I was running my Kyosho, it had close to zero slop throughout most of the car.. and it never once "bound up". I have been racing for a looonnngg time, and I have never once heard of a car binding up because there wasn't enough slop.

To answer the question, make sure you are using your set grub screws
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #7939
Super Moderator
 
racer1812's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 14,695
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

5 pages of slop vs. no slop....reeaadyyyyy set....GO!
__________________
Stand for the flag, kneel for the fallen.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #7940
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,906
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
That's just flat out untrue. When I was running my Kyosho, it had close to zero slop throughout most of the car.. and it never once "bound up". I have been racing for a looonnngg time, and I have never once heard of a car binding up because there wasn't enough slop.

To answer the question, make sure you are using your set grub screws
Are you saying the kyosho parts never got slop or you replaced them when they got slop to keep the car tight? I had an RB6, it got slop after 6+ months of racing. Same with the 22. I suspect when people say they have no slop, they are replacing parts to keep the cars tight. How often you have to do it, is another story.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #7941
Super Moderator
 
racer1812's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 14,695
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Are you saying the kyosho parts never got slop or you replaced them when they got slop to keep the car tight? I had an RB6, it got slop after 6+ months of racing. Same with the 22. I suspect when people say they have no slop, they are replacing parts to keep the cars tight. How often you have to do it, is another story.
Doesn't really matter if or how often he replaced parts to keep it tight. His point is that the car never "bound up" from not having slop.

My 22 didn't and neither did my B5 when new.

TLR, AE ,and K cars ALL currently build "tight" and none of them bind up because of dirt when you put them on the track.
__________________
Stand for the flag, kneel for the fallen.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #7942
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,906
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Doesn't really matter if or how often he replaced parts to keep it tight. His point is that the car never "bound up" from not having slop.

My 22 didn't and neither did my B5 when new.

TLR, AE ,and K cars ALL currently build "tight" and none of them bind up because of dirt when you put them on the track.
I agree. A tighter well fitting car is more consistent than a car with dynamic suspension adjusting (slop).
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #7943
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,083
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

back on topic.. drove my new B5m this weekend for the first time, and I think the car is pretty damn good. I could find no faults with the car anywhere except maybe the stock slipper. Seemed to be kind of crappy... might look at the avid system here pretty soon.. I was shocked at how much rear grip the car has with the box setup, and how easy it was to drive for a mid motor car.

Car was fantastic, unfortunately I wasn't. A one year hiatus from off-road driving really took it's toll on my finishing position! Excited to get more familiar with this buggy.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #7944
Tech Champion
 
Jmuck69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 5,003
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
5 pages of slop vs. no slop....reeaadyyyyy set....GO!
Better than a single post of how in Tacompton, slop does not exist...period!
__________________
B6D | B64D

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #7945
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,906
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
back on topic.. drove my new B5m this weekend for the first time, and I think the car is pretty damn good. I could find no faults with the car anywhere except maybe the stock slipper. Seemed to be kind of crappy... might look at the avid system here pretty soon.. I was shocked at how much rear grip the car has with the box setup, and how easy it was to drive for a mid motor car.

Car was fantastic, unfortunately I wasn't. A one year hiatus from off-road driving really took it's toll on my finishing position! Excited to get more familiar with this buggy.
yeah....not even the sponsored AE drivers use the 3 pad AE. It is way to powerful for the car. The AVID Triad Evo is nice. They updated it to have vented plates and removed the need for the centering washers.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #7946
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Hello, I am new to the hobby and have been running a sc truck for a couple of months. I want to pick up a 2wd buggy to start practicing with. I am really looking at the b5m. My question is would a mid motor buggy be good for a first buggy or should I go with the b5rm and work into the mid motor. Thanks for any advice.
stealth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #7947
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,083
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth99 View Post
Hello, I am new to the hobby and have been running a sc truck for a couple of months. I want to pick up a 2wd buggy to start practicing with. I am really looking at the b5m. My question is would a mid motor buggy be good for a first buggy or should I go with the b5rm and work into the mid motor. Thanks for any advice.
Depends on your track. What surface type are you running on? What other buggies are popular there?
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #7948
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Track is a 60/40 clay and dirt mix indoor track. I guess it would be considered a small track. Serpent mm and the b5m are popular but still some rm buggies as well.
stealth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #7949
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 4,723
Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)
Default

If there's consistently enough traction I don't see why you wouldn't want to go MM unless the track is super tight....even then, when traction is good the B5M is very easy to drive and hard to beat.
__________________
Now that I've discovered the ignore list I plan to use it.....14 and counting!
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #7950
Tech Master
 
Jeepy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,033
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
That's just flat out untrue. When I was running my Kyosho, it had close to zero slop throughout most of the car.. and it never once "bound up". I have been racing for a looonnngg time, and I have never once heard of a car binding up because there wasn't enough slop.

To answer the question, make sure you are using your set grub screws
I have experienced it myself. I had a Thunder Tiger EB4, I took and shimmed some of the slop out of it and then I kept having issues with the front suspension binding up and then the steering. I put slop back in it and never had a problem again.

Just because I don't have 5,000 posts on a internet website, doesn't mean that I haven't been racing since 1985 and haven't seen some pretty weird things over the years.

There is a difference between being "tight" and too "tight" and would imagine the track conditions play into things as well. I guess maybe the guys that race indoors all the time wouldn't have issues with dirt binding up parts on a car, but on a large outdoor track that can be loamy and wet at times, it can happen. (yes the track was usually a mess).

I'm glad that I will be able to race at a nice indoor track now, I look forward to not having the insdie of my car full of dirt at the end of a heat.

Last edited by Jeepy2013; 09-16-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Jeepy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:37 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net