R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 09-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #7681
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gierse View Post
Are most people using carbide or ceramic diff balls? What are the advantages of both? What about thrust balls, ceramic or carbide? Are the Avid thrust bearings worth it? Getting ready to rebuild my diff and want to make sure what I need to order. Thanks for any help.
The AVID thrust bearings are great. Get them in Cermaic. I would use the carbide diff balls that come with the kit. Make sure to watch the videos on break-in. Break-in is the most important part.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #7682
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

IMO, carbide diff balls for better "bite" into the diff rings preventing the dreaded diff killing "bark". And ceramics for the load bearing thrust washer.

Many report that the thrust balls are the first to become "gritty". Why? IMO. Those 6 little balls are subject to the same side load (diff spring pressure) as the 14 larger diff balls.

Diff break in can't be stressed enough regardless. I use to be lax on it and figured most guys were having to redo diffs every 3 weeks or so. Once I took the time to REALLY break in my diffs, they really can last a couple months, or longer. It's time well spent, IMO.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #7683
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillS View Post
I find the evo tires to work better with the bands as the stock foams are a bit too firm in my opinion.
I go between Handlebars and Typos depending on how damp the track is. I don't really like a new or stiff insert with a Handlebar and prefer to run a "used" insert. When conditions call for a Typo style of tread the firmer/new insert seems to work well with that tread. I haven't tried it but I don't think I would want to run a softer/used insert in a Typo style tire.

I could be wrong though..wife tells me I am all the time

Old 09-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #7684
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
The AVID thrust bearings are great. Get them in Cermaic. I would use the carbide diff balls that come with the kit. Make sure to watch the videos on break-in. Break-in is the most important part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
IMO, carbide diff balls for better "bite" into the diff rings preventing the dreaded diff killing "bark". And ceramics for the load bearing thrust washer.

Many report that the thrust balls are the first to become "gritty". Why? IMO. Those 6 little balls are subject to the same side load (diff spring pressure) as the 14 larger diff balls.

Diff break in can't be stressed enough regardless. I use to be lax on it and figured most guys were having to redo diffs every 3 weeks or so. Once I took the time to REALLY break in my diffs, they really can last a couple months, or longer. It's time well spent, IMO.
Thanks for the response. Glad I asked. I had it in my head it was ceramic diff balls and carbide thrust balls.
Chris Gierse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #7685
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Glad I asked. I had it in my head it was ceramic diff balls and carbide thrust balls.
In the end it's up to you. I just give MY opinion based on MY experience.

I've done diff rebuilds with new carbide balls and diff rings using the old thrust balls and washers only to have, what I consider, a gritty diff from the start..So those 6 little balls do wear and need attention even if you might think they don't do much...again IMO

Old 09-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #7686
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, opposite.

The thrust bearing uses washers that need to roll smoothly over the thrust balls. The assembly "rolls". It isn't responsible for any traction. In that case, you want balls that are very hard and very round/smooth, but don't particularly need any grip on the washers that are applying pressure, which would make the best choice, ceramic.

The diff balls need to be round and smooth of course, but also require "traction" against the diff rings so that the diff doesn't slip. Ceramics work here as well, in "some" diffs (like the durango 210 diff), but in a lot of cars, in order to keep the diff from slipping on ceramic diff balls, you need to run the diff tighter than you normally would want to. Here is where carbide becomes advantageous. They don't last as long, aren't as smooth/round, but provide far better traction/grip against the diff rings than the ceramics do. It allows you to run a much looser diff, without slip.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #7687
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Yeah, opposite.

The thrust bearing uses washers that need to roll smoothly over the thrust balls. The assembly "rolls". It isn't responsible for any traction. In that case, you want balls that are very hard and very round/smooth, but don't particularly need any grip on the washers that are applying pressure, which would make the best choice, ceramic.

The diff balls need to be round and smooth of course, but also require "traction" against the diff rings so that the diff doesn't slip. Ceramics work here as well, in "some" diffs (like the durango 210 diff), but in a lot of cars, in order to keep the diff from slipping on ceramic diff balls, you need to run the diff tighter than you normally would want to. Here is where carbide becomes advantageous. They don't last as long, aren't as smooth/round, but provide far better traction/grip against the diff rings than the ceramics do. It allows you to run a much looser diff, without slip.
So a non "Tacompton" (stupidest term ever come up with) K driver is agreeing with me??

Old 09-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #7688
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Yeah, opposite.

Thanks. This makes perfect sense.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #7689
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
So a non "Tacompton" (stupidest term ever come up with) K driver is agreeing with me??
Speaking of Tacompton...Has anyone checked on him to make sure he's doing alright and hasn't gone into deep depression? I worry...

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #7690
Tech Prophet

I wanted to give some feedback on the 2 pad setup that some people say is great. Referring to the v2 vented plates. Mine and my daughters cars use AVID Triads, but my youngest wanted to race last weekend. I didnt have an extra triad, so I put in a vented v2 2 pad setup. I set it for 2 inches like i normally do. Then I went to run laps in 17.5 on high bite. I was running clay slicks. At first I was doing wheelies. I didnt really like that feel at all, so I backed off the slipper nut 1/8 of a turn. Then it felt much better, I could get on it hard, the front stayed down and the punch felt great. I charged another pack and went out to test a few things.... About half way into the pack, the car started to feel really soft and power was fading. I could hear the slipper whistling, so I pulled it in and tightened it 1/8 turn. And i was back to doing wheelies. So, I give on on the POS. For the way I like to run my car, I think the AE 2 pad is crap. The AVID Triad is so much better at setting and forgetting. After weeks of driving, I can do a slipper test on the bench and still get my 2 inch lift. And I never feel it fade on the track. This is where George comes and tells me how perfect his 2 pad system is and that I am doing it wrong, lol.....
Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #7691
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to WillS Send a message via Yahoo to WillS

I run the triad 2 pad setup on all my stock vehicles. I run all red discs. Its more of a safety version of a locked spur.
Cheater Racing, Team Powers, Amain.com/Protek, Dialed RC Hobbies, Sweep Racing
WillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #7692
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I wanted to give some feedback on the 2 pad setup that some people say is great. Referring to the v2 vented plates. Mine and my daughters cars use AVID Triads, but my youngest wanted to race last weekend. I didnt have an extra triad, so I put in a vented v2 2 pad setup. I set it for 2 inches like i normally do. Then I went to run laps in 17.5 on high bite. I was running clay slicks. At first I was doing wheelies. I didnt really like that feel at all, so I backed off the slipper nut 1/8 of a turn. Then it felt much better, I could get on it hard, the front stayed down and the punch felt great. I charged another pack and went out to test a few things.... About half way into the pack, the car started to feel really soft and power was fading. I could hear the slipper whistling, so I pulled it in and tightened it 1/8 turn. And i was back to doing wheelies. So, I give on on the POS. For the way I like to run my car, I think the AE 2 pad is crap. The AVID Triad is so much better at setting and forgetting. After weeks of driving, I can do a slipper test on the bench and still get my 2 inch lift. And I never feel it fade on the track. This is where George comes and tells me how perfect his 2 pad system is and that I am doing it wrong, lol.....
I did this test last weekend and agree with this 100%. The AE 2 pad setup didn't work for me at all.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #7693
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillS View Post
I run the triad 2 pad setup on all my stock vehicles. I run all red discs. Its more of a safety version of a locked spur.
yeah, I was thinking about trying the AVID with 2 red pads. For the same reasons as you. I just like the tuning ability of my current setup. With 2 white pads and 1 red, loosen it for a low bite or tighten it for wheelies on high bite. I just love the consistency of the Triad. If you have not liked AVID's facebook page, you should. Some nice things coming down the pipe very soon.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #7694
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Sure.. "in general". Now, SOME diffs work just GREAT with ceramic diff balls in place of carbides. Why some diffs work and some will slip until you tighten the diff too tight, I don't know.

For example, my schumacher cars and my durango 210 could run ceramic diff balls without barking. Run ceramic in a kyosho diff, and you are going to have a hell of a time. If I remember right, ceramics worked just fine in the B4 diff.

(and by "work", I mean you don't need to run the diff tighter than you normally would to keep the diff from barking)
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #7695
Tech Initiate

Just Rebuild my diff last night with Carbide Diff balls. Worked for 4 months worth of club racing and I only changed it because I was already had the Tranny apart.
bh796B is offline   Reply With Quote