R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #7651
Tech Master
 
Jeepy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,044
Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto44 View Post
Just picked up a B5M. What is the hot battery setup for this car? Also looking for a good steering servo. Was looking at the Savox any good? Which model? I will be racing on a indoor clay track. Thanks
I'll be running "shorty" packs so I can move it for balance if needed. As far as servo, I've been having really good luck using the Savox SC-1257TG's in some of my cars.
Jeepy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #7652
Tech Master
 
mxnickj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lewisburg PA
Posts: 1,811
Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter36 View Post
To be honest a FT car wouldn't be a wise choice for AE. If they would just put the FT bearings in the team kit that's already out, it would be perfect for 99% of people that buy the kit. The aluminum stuff adds weight for the guys that run stock, the hard parts are kinda fragile, and I don't know of 1 person that has broke a stock rear camber block. So if they would just add awesome bearings to the kit that's already out it would be an even better car outta the box
Like has been said before, with all the talk about AE's new 1/8 buggy I really wouldn't look for anything new in the 1/10 department any time soon. IMO a factory team verson should be available around the same time as a B5 RTR comes out. That way you can cater to both the hardcore recers with the FT kit or the beginner with a RTR that can be upgraded with the FT parts
mxnickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #7653
Tech Master
 
mxnickj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lewisburg PA
Posts: 1,811
Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy2013 View Post
I'll be running "shorty" packs so I can move it for balance if needed. As far as servo, I've been having really good luck using the Savox SC-1257TG's in some of my cars.
I'm thinking of running shorty pack also, but I have a saddle pack just in case. Where are you running the shorty, to the front/rear/center??
mxnickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #7654
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,909
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillS View Post
why replace? get a set of MIP hexes and that will never happen again. I use to do that a lot with other brands. Went to MIP (ya they cost more, but you will never replace them) and havent had the problem since.
my drivers are MIP
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #7655
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 97
Default

Hey Guys,

Tomorrow I will be going to my first club race. Pretty excited. Don't expect to do well at all, but regardless I can't wait. Any tips? Beginner mistakes I should avoid?

Thanks!
hcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #7656
Tech Regular
 
RussF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Posts: 416
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopp View Post
Hey Guys,

Tomorrow I will be going to my first club race. Pretty excited. Don't expect to do well at all, but regardless I can't wait. Any tips? Beginner mistakes I should avoid?

Thanks!
Dont Wreck!! I just had my very first offroad race this weekend with my B5M. I've never even turned a lap with it and had no time for practice before the race because I was gluing tires. They put me in the Novice class this time to see what I could do. My only goal was to not wreck me or anybody else. Watch whats ahead and avoid trouble. You have to finish to win. I ended up winning both qualifiers and the main. I feel like the biggest problem the other racers had were trying to go faster than they could without making mistakes and wrecking. I've been racing for years with onroad cars and Mini-Z's and there is no substitute for practice. I think that just knowing how to race is key to doing well in any type of racing.
__________________
SaltLakeMini-Z.com, HowFastAreYou.com
RussF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #7657
Tech Master
 
WillS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,126
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WillS Send a message via Yahoo to WillS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
my drivers are MIP
oh LOL then how did you strip them? Are you running an aluminum bulkhead and it bond up?
__________________
Will Smith
=========================================================
Sponsors:
Cheater Racing, Team Powers, Amain.com/Protek, Dialed RC Hobbies, Sweep Racing
WillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #7658
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussF View Post
Dont Wreck!! I just had my very first offroad race this weekend with my B5M. I've never even turned a lap with it and had no time for practice before the race because I was gluing tires. They put me in the Novice class this time to see what I could do. My only goal was to not wreck me or anybody else. Watch whats ahead and avoid trouble. You have to finish to win. I ended up winning both qualifiers and the main. I feel like the biggest problem the other racers had were trying to go faster than they could without making mistakes and wrecking. I've been racing for years with onroad cars and Mini-Z's and there is no substitute for practice. I think that just knowing how to race is key to doing well in any type of racing.
I've got a couple hours of practice with this layout so I know where the trouble spots are. Not crashing is my number one priority. Id rather run consistent laps and finish dead last then crash every turn and put in some fast laps
hcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #7659
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,909
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillS View Post
oh LOL then how did you strip them? Are you running an aluminum bulkhead and it bond up?
Plastic bulk head and I dont know, lol.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #7660
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 83
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I've had some screws that just seemed softer than others
Barker196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #7661
Tech Adept
 
TOO-TALL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bushwood country club
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnickj View Post
Like has been said before, with all the talk about AE's new 1/8 scale
New 1/8 scale?....electric? More info
__________________
www.skyski.com
www.foilforum.com

"Hey Baby want to make fourteen dollars...the hard way??" ----Rodney Dangerfield--Caddyshack.
TOO-TALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #7662
Moderator
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 8,804
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO-TALL View Post
New 1/8 scale?....electric? More info
http://liverc.com/news/special_featu...oils_the_show/
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #7663
Tech Champion
 
Jmuck69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 5,003
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter36 View Post
To be honest a FT car wouldn't be a wise choice for AE. If they would just put the FT bearings in the team kit that's already out, it would be perfect for 99% of people that buy the kit. The aluminum stuff adds weight for the guys that run stock, the hard parts are kinda fragile, and I don't know of 1 person that has broke a stock rear camber block. So if they would just add awesome bearings to the kit that's already out it would be an even better car outta the box
A FT would be wise IMO. To me the chassis is way too stiff for most conditions and a flex-tuned chassis could be an option and standard on the FT B5M. They did it on the B44.3. To me the bent sides are creating most of the stiffness, similar to an I-beam. eliminate the bent sides and redesigned cradle to allow more flex or tuned flex would work. People will say "just get the RM" but having two cars is not a financially viable option for most people. I love how the MM corners, jumps and so on so make it adapt to a wider range of tracks. Another option would make a composite chassis (RM style?) work in MM. Thoughts?
__________________
B6D | B64D

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #7664
Tech Addict
 
mschumi101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago-land/U of Wisconsin-Madison
Posts: 719
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to mschumi101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuck69 View Post
A FT would be wise IMO. To me the chassis is way too stiff for most conditions and a flex-tuned chassis could be an option and standard on the FT B5M. They did it on the B44.3. To me the bent sides are creating most of the stiffness, similar to an I-beam. eliminate the bent sides and redesigned cradle to allow more flex or tuned flex would work. People will say "just get the RM" but having two cars is not a financially viable option for most people. I love how the MM corners, jumps and so on so make it adapt to a wider range of tracks. Another option would make a composite chassis (RM style?) work in MM. Thoughts?
Well in interviews when they released the car they said that a composite or plastic chassis wasn't viable for the MM because it would need extra ribbing in the motor area to remain strong. I wonder if a carbon fiber chassis, like some aftermarket companies offer, would help with the chassis flex.
__________________
Associated B5M Reedy 7.5 | Xray T4 ORCA 17.5
Orange Powered!
Previous: B44.2 | TC5R | TC5 | B4.2 | B44 | Slash | E4RS | TA05R | TT01
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #7665
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,180
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

If we use a carbon fiber chassis on the car and flat front arms and tower arent we essentially driving a centro c4.2. cause that is pretty well what it would be. Not that the centro was a bad car, its an awesome car. But the B5m has different and unique characteristics that make it a different car that IMO performs better than a centro.
Skeeter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:07 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net