R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #7171
Tech Apprentice

thats what i was looking at...receiver small enough for b5m?

also it seems spare receivers are hard to come by for the low end airtronics one.... ever use the hobbyking clones? do they work?
hcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #7172
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopp View Post
What radio does everyone use?

Im a little pissed off about my steering spring breaking yesterday after 8 weeks and kind of want to jump ship from spektrum - It may be extreme, but from what I have read the DX3C was plagued by this issue and if I'm having it so soon it seems they didn't fix it.

I was either thinking of going to the DX4S and flipping the two receivers and my radio when its fixed, but that would just be giving them more money.

What about airtronics / futaba? If I am going to switch I'm going to spend $200+ on a radio - bummer is that I need a second receiver, which is why the DX4S seems to be the best option - are they more reliable? Is there a noticeable difference in higher end radios?

I would go low end futaba but i tried one out and it simply just wasn't comfortable, didn't like the way it felt.

I know I may be side tracking the thread, but you guys have the same car and I'm sure ill get quicker answers than the R&E forum.

THanks!
I'm too deep in with the DX3R Pro to switch brands, but I would highly consider it if you plan on going to big events. I get some weird issues with it not wanting to bind sometimes the closer I get to the amains with all the other drivers having more powerful systems.

But if you do stick with spectrum, use at least the DSM2 receivers for racing as the DSM 1 stuff does not like having many other radio's around and the binding and glitching will be much worse.
AKA Racing
Mizchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #7173
Tech Apprentice

both of my receivers are DSMR which i presume is the newest?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #7174
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)

I run the Airtronics m12 and my son uses the Mt4. Airtronics are the best out there.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #7175
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Futaba 4PKSR. Will be cheap when the 4PX is released. Best radio I have ever used.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #7176
Tech Initiate

what battery packs are most popular for the b5m just wondering what u guys think ?
dialedfastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #7177
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopp View Post
What radio does everyone use?

Im a little pissed off about my steering spring breaking yesterday after 8 weeks and kind of want to jump ship from spektrum - It may be extreme, but from what I have read the DX3C was plagued by this issue and if I'm having it so soon it seems they didn't fix it.

I was either thinking of going to the DX4S and flipping the two receivers and my radio when its fixed, but that would just be giving them more money.

What about airtronics / futaba? If I am going to switch I'm going to spend $200+ on a radio - bummer is that I need a second receiver, which is why the DX4S seems to be the best option - are they more reliable? Is there a noticeable difference in higher end radios?

I would go low end futaba but i tried one out and it simply just wasn't comfortable, didn't like the way it felt.

I know I may be side tracking the thread, but you guys have the same car and I'm sure ill get quicker answers than the R&E forum.

THanks!

Just get a thick rubber band and wrap it around the sterring wheel and around the base. This will apply tension on the steering wheel. It will allow you to keep using the radio. The springs are easy to swap as well. ask around locally i am sure someine has an old rtr radio in your area they would give away. Pull the spring from it and swap it.
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #7178
Tech Legend

Hcopp
common & any radio can break a spring.

Instead of spending hundreds more ?

Buy a couple replacement springs and call it good.

You already have a great radio, changing to another is only going to make you learn how to adjust to something different.

Better for you to stay with your old radio.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #7179
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Hcopp
common & any radio can break a spring.

Instead of spending hundreds more ?

Buy a couple replacement springs and call it good.

You already have a great radio, changing to another is only going to make you learn how to adjust to something different.

Better for you to stay with your old radio.
The question is WWWCR
Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #7180
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I had similar issue with spektrum and switched to futaba and then airtronics. I now run an mt4 but both of the futabas I had were awesome. The 4pl and the 4pksr were awesome I just like the feel of an mt4 in my hand better. Nothing wrong with futaba or airtronics there is also ko propo and radio post but those will prob run you a lil more even when used.
Skeeter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #7181
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

For years I owned a DX3R/Pro and I frequently had issues with unbinding, glitching, etc., especially at big races with many other radios nearby. Each vehicle I own (9) has it's own RX so I too was very invested in Spektrum. However, I bit the bullet and bought a Futaba 4PKS-R and I LOVE this radio! I have had zero issues with it. Performance is awesome and you can run a Life battery pack which lasts months before needing charged.
XRAY 17 XB4
Yokomo YZ-2 CA
Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #7182
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Futaba 4PL here with a Futaba $39 micro rx. Best radio I have ever had. Get rid of that Spektrum and you will be wondering why you didn't do it sooner.
Speed Freak RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #7183
Tech Apprentice

From what I read the springs are hard to come by.

Part of it is how customer service took 4 hours to call back - two days in a row - then said "we will have the radio for 5-8 days"

its 8 weeks old - send me a new one - you want me to be a customer for a while? take care of me.

This may be rantish, but having worked in customer service for years when something that new breaks, you take care of the customer.

The radio works very well for my needs, but I don't want to go all in on something I am having doubts about now - between my two receivers and the radio I could probably get close to $160 - and an MT4 is 220.... only reason why those gears started turning.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #7184
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Spektrum DX3R, never had a single issue with it and receivers are $25 and pretty small (SR3100)!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #7185
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I don't know about there being anything that you need to buy for a b5 or b5m. They are really great out of the box. Some of these suggestions are killing me. Bearings! I'd pay somebody if they could prove that expensive bearings would be worth .05 a lap over functioning stock ones. If money is a consideration at all, the cars work great stock when set up properly. They're durable too. If money is that tight I'd focus on stuff like buying good foams with your tires. I think that's the #1 thing people don't do. I know....I buy 2 of everything, weigh it, replace it, buy another.....etc. People that know me are probably thinking "look who's talking"! I buy everything available [pretty much] for my cars and I can tell you almost all of it is 0 value added. The bling makes you feel better but doesn't do much for your car. Once again, this advice is coming from a guy who will buy almost anything shiny. If it was me, I'd buy a car, drive it, tune it, and then make incremental changes one at a time. If you run stock, weight reduction can make your car faster (not necessarily you), if you're mod you can motor up to where weight is a moot point.

Just my opinion.
Personally the gearbox bearings are a JOKE unless they've made a running change the first batch was like having onboard drag brake, if I'd let off the gas it would slow down dramatically! Schelle bearings in and it will roll for days with no other changes. As far as the rear camber block those are KNOWN to break quite easily. Otherwise I agree the cars are great out of the box! I changed to the AE front hexes because I just didn't like the stock axles and their narrow hex. Personal preference there! Otherwise my cars are pretty much stock except the finned turnbuckles, just liked them!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote