Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by GTSSTANG
WC, are you still using the same inline electronics setup?
Still using but there has been some refinements.

Will post compete set up later tonight.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Seeking a good starting setup for SoCal medium to high bite tracks, mostly stock B5M. Looking to lose a bit of push, and gain more low speed steering. Not interested in having the lightest car out there. Car is already too light in the rear with the pucks, aluminum top shaft, and cut gears, plus shorty pack. May ditch it all and go heavy (all stock plus B5 flat arms, and tower) to gain more stability.
Since we run on lower grip overall out here, maybe look at Mike Gay's setup. Not sure how it is compared to the other guys, but I know he runs his cars on the heavy side and his car is always amazing. I know that he added all the aluminum stuff to his car since he turned in his setup, so if anything his car is a bit heavier.

His setup is on AE's site.
http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...sJumps_Gay.pdf
Old 08-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Rookie

So I know I am going to get a few different repsonses...but that's the idea. I am looking for a recommendation on an ESC. Going to run stock at first. (Sonic Mach 2 17.5) Then once I am comfortable enough, move up to modified. So any input on the type of ESC that would be able to handle both? I dont mind spending a little if its truly worth it. Would love to hear everyone's input!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JHKracing
So I know I am going to get a few different repsonses...but that's the idea. I am looking for a recommendation on an ESC. Going to run stock at first. (Sonic Mach 2 17.5) Then once I am comfortable enough, move up to modified. So any input on the type of ESC that would be able to handle both? I dont mind spending a little if its truly worth it. Would love to hear everyone's input!
I have run pretty much every popular brand. I currently run the orion R10's because i got them used for cheap. The hobbywing v3.1 is just as good though. You can get the stock spec version for about $129. It will do stock and mod down to 5.5 turn. Also, the program LCD box is pretty cheap

http://www.amain.com/Hobbywing-Xerun...ss-ESC/p279086

If you would rather get a "name" The orion stock spec is good. But the program box is stupid expensive.

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...ns&pn=ORN65120

Both of these are top notch. The main difference is the cost of the box. And the orion has less tuning options.

But.... This might be the next esc I get. SMC is pretty good about testing and performance. It is a small american company, but danny has been pretty great.
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=238
Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

From my experience, all of the Big names are good, I have used most of them. I currently use Novak, Orion R10Pro, LRP and Hobbywing.

I am pretty impressed with the HobbyWing Xerun V3.1 Stock Spec. I bought both the 120A and the Stock Spec, but I have yet to use the 120A. The Stock spec has a plastic case and the 120A version has an aluminum case. I think the Stock one is 15 grams lighter, if that matters to you. Both are very nice.

I like the intergraded on/off switch on the case and the fact that the tuner is only $30.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hobbywing v3.1 or stock spec
Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Asked Brent myself about Trcr traction and how it compared to what he runs on .

Said it was about the same or very similar....

Asked others that travel to Chico,Surf city, Ocrc...

They claim Trcr has a little more grip.
I have no doubt the traction may be similar, but a setup that works on a tight track vs a larger flowing track will be different regardless if its identical dirt. I see yall are running a bout 15 second laps at TCRC.. thats a small track. Ive never seen pictures of your track, but i can promise you a setup that works on a 15 second layout is going to be different than a 22-30 second layout... and thats ok. I'm sure your setup does work good where you are... however to say that its the same as any indoor track is foolish.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by rc23
I have no doubt the traction may be similar, but a setup that works on a tight track vs a larger flowing track will be different regardless if its identical dirt. I see yall are running a bout 15 second laps at TCRC.. thats a small track. Ive never seen pictures of your track, but i can promise you a setup that works on a 15 second layout is going to be different than a 22-30 second layout... and thats ok. I'm sure your setup does work good where you are... however to say that its the same as any indoor track is foolish.
O
not that small, medium size just like Chico for instance..

Current lay out is a fast one, can see laps slow way down depending on the course design.

When the boys came up here they did not change much at all.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
O
not that small, medium size just like Chico for instance..

Current lay out is a fast one, can see laps slow way down depending on the course design.

When the boys came up here they did not change much at all.
15 sec lap times is indeed a small layout.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Tech Legend

I like to count every other lap as 1 Lap doubling the size the layout. Lol

fast lap is 30 sec now
Old 08-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
Since we run on lower grip overall out here, maybe look at Mike Gay's setup. Not sure how it is compared to the other guys, but I know he runs his cars on the heavy side and his car is always amazing. I know that he added all the aluminum stuff to his car since he turned in his setup, so if anything his car is a bit heavier.

His setup is on AE's site.
http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...sJumps_Gay.pdf
It's very box stock plus square pack which I don't have one of yet.. The only setup I have not used yet lol.... If I used it I might have to go to 37.5/32.5 since his track conditions are on the cold side, and it has Ben hit as hell, and muggy here.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I have run pretty much every popular brand. I currently run the orion R10's because i got them used for cheap. The hobbywing v3.1 is just as good though. You can get the stock spec version for about $129. It will do stock and mod down to 5.5 turn. Also, the program LCD box is pretty cheap

http://www.amain.com/Hobbywing-Xerun...ss-ESC/p279086

If you would rather get a "name" The orion stock spec is good. But the program box is stupid expensive.

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...ns&pn=ORN65120

Both of these are top notch. The main difference is the cost of the box. And the orion has less tuning options.

But.... This might be the next esc I get. SMC is pretty good about testing and performance. It is a small american company, but danny has been pretty great.
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=238
The R10s are great! But I have to give ever so slightly the nod to LRP for their brakes. The best I have ever used, just slightly. Would switch to 4 R10.1s in a heartbeat though.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
lol, what? no one runs my setup. Not even the locals.

Here is my setup. I tried a few different things and I liked the fell of this the best. This is the setup I ran last weekend at the Short Course Shootout. The car was great, the driver was not lol. But the car did everything I asked of it. For me it turned on a dime....But My front tires are magical. lol. Meaning, when ever I want more steering, I put them on and any push I had goes away. Sometimes its too much and I go with a front tire that is more forgiving. Locally, tires are a big deal. And I dont mean the brand specifically, I mean how they are broken in and such. New tires always seem to suck. I tried the 1.4s in the front like cav, but I didnt like it. I tried lower weight oils and I didnt like it. I find my car is very easy to drive, but if I put the wrong tires on, it becomes a handful in a second. You can copy a setup, but kinda hard to copy peoples tires. Anyway, laugh away at my setup, lol. IDK I like it.
Hartson inline setup? Or of your own design? I hear you on tires. All of my tires are new since the durango ditching. Running them all at OC/RC tomorrow a few times to break them in. Maybe when it cools down a bit throw a couple sets on the street and grind em down a touch.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

It's very box stock plus square pack which I don't have one of yet.. The only setup I have not used yet lol.... If I used it I might have to go to 37.5/32.5 since his track conditions are on the cold side, and it has Ben hit as hell, and muggy here.
yeah I know he wasn't far from kit setup.

Personally I have that Kody OCRC setup on my car and I'm getting around. I've only had a handfull of race days with it because I got my cars right before 8th scale season. I'll start focusing on it in a few more months lol. For now if I need it, I know it's there in a jam haha.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Hartson inline setup? Or of your own design? I hear you on tires. All of my tires are new since the durango ditching. Running them all at OC/RC tomorrow a few times to break them in. Maybe when it cools down a bit throw a couple sets on the street and grind em down a touch.
Get Brent Thielke's hot rod setup. Change to 3/1 antisquat and go to white front spring and green rear spring due to less weight over the rear.This is what i ran in 17.5 MM @ OCRC. You may want to try white rears too depending on the weight of your car.. mine was 1501 RTR.

i also personally ran all hard parts, i think he only ran hard arms and front tower.. not sure .

also if youre not running a slipper eliminator @ OCRC with a mid motor you might as well just buy a rear motor :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.