R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 07-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #5716
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe23 View Post
dropping 2 teeth on the pinion will make a noticeable difference in your bottom end so you should be able to up your timing but that is an easy change to play with. The aluminum top shaft imo is a must buy, the mip one is the lightest and for 15 dollars you lower your rotating mass and get a smoother gear mesh. I haven't put the pucks in yet but did put in the top shaft and ceramic diff gears which did give me a little snappier response and a cooler running motor.

Oh like i asked also are you running the high torqe or high rpm killshot?
99% sure high torque, ill have to double check.
hcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #5717
Tech Elite

happy 4 day b 5 guys
the shop has 12 g wire
my friend told me 14 g for a stock motor?
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #5718
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemaris View Post
I wanted to ask how many of you are using the clamping front hexes & axles? Also is anybody else experiencing a not so smooth gritty movement in the front axles? I tried the fix that was posted on b5 nation a while ago involving the traxxas spacers to no avail.
I use them and had the same problem. If you slightly sand down the area that touches the bearing on the hex (the pin side) it will take pressure off of the bearing. Not the most high tec way to do it but it worked for me.
jaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #5719
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to idrummerboy13

any body have a bad shock shaft? One of my rears was missing the top part were the c clip goes on. Kind of weird. The build was super nice, this car goes together awesome. I just got this after a long break. Glad to be back.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #5720
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrummerboy13 View Post
any body have a bad shock shaft? One of my rears was missing the top part were the c clip goes on. Kind of weird. The build was super nice, this car goes together awesome. I just got this after a long break. Glad to be back.
I think I saw someone post a picture of the exact same thing within the last week or so.
hcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #5721
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
happy 4 day b 5 guys
the shop has 12 g wire
my friend told me 14 g for a stock motor?
For stock get 12, no question.

Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #5722
Tech Legend

No shop wire Vito, get the Reedy wire ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #5723
Tech Elite

going with the 14 g
b5 mid motor
Old 07-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #5724
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

I run the Reedy 14g and its works great for 17.5
Old 07-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #5725
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopp View Post
Took mine out for its fifth run today. Its an indoor clay track with this one jump that is giving me hell. I am running a Tekin RS Gen 2 - Killshot 17.5 - 32/75 gearing and Gold Barcodes. I feel I just don't have much punch to get over this jump.

It is a small jump that lands on a tabletop which immediately has another jump at the end of the table. When I hit it perfectly I can clear the landing by maybe 3 inches. I will try to attach a picture of the current layout but it doesn't show the jump well.

I am running blink at the track as thats what I will eventually race with, but what would you guys recommend I try out to get a bit more punch? What gearing should I run? Timing on the motor appears to be at 20 degrees, which is how it was when I got it (don't know if this is normal or not).

Any ideas for the best setup? I also run at an indoor hard surface track, but run 21/79 (I Think) with tons of boost and that works really well for me.

Thanks for the reading the hodge podge of info, appreciate any input.

The boosted gear setup in the back of the manual is good as well, I used it for a carpet race a little while back with GOBS of boost and it worked great with my little 13.5.
Nemaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #5726
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Took mine out for its fifth run today. Its an indoor clay track with this one jump that is giving me hell. I am running a Tekin RS Gen 2 - Killshot 17.5 - 32/75 gearing and Gold Barcodes. I feel I just don't have much punch to get over this jump.

It is a small jump that lands on a tabletop which immediately has another jump at the end of the table. When I hit it perfectly I can clear the landing by maybe 3 inches. I will try to attach a picture of the current layout but it doesn't show the jump well.

I am running blink at the track as thats what I will eventually race with, but what would you guys recommend I try out to get a bit more punch? What gearing should I run? Timing on the motor appears to be at 20 degrees, which is how it was when I got it (don't know if this is normal or not).

Any ideas for the best setup? I also run at an indoor hard surface track, but run 21/79 (I Think) with tons of boost and that works really well for me.

Adjust timing to 3540 degrees and gear at 69/3334
Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #5727
Tech Elite

I just got some viper 14 g wire from a main
b5 mid motor
Old 07-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #5728
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I'm local to RC Clubhouse as well, and know the current layout and the little step up and over jump that you are referring to.

If you are running blinky, then you're not likely ever going to feel like you have "punch" regardless of your setup or gearing. Just not going to have the rip that a mod motor can produce with a quick yank of the throttle. But if blinky is your thing maybe focus on finding a good setup in so far as timing/gearing and leaving the boost out since you wont be racing with it.

There is a pretty big class of blinky 2wd on Wed nights and some cars look pretty good out there. No shame in asking for their timing/gearing.

As far as the jump in question - I'm betting that you probably just need to practice landing on the table top earlier (dont jump to far onto the table top) to get a better run at the little edge to make it up and over the following jump. Maybe a bit of setup change (springs/pistons/oil) will help your car jump better if its really behaving badly.

Quote:

negatv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #5729
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

when i ran a killshot (RPM stator, torque rotor), i ran 33/69 with 60 degrees timing on the can in a 4.2 in blinky (32/72, with 50 degrees on the B5M). those motors come with zero (or close to it) timing built in so 60 degrees may sound high, but some 17.5's have 30 degrees built in. your gearing is in the ballpark for blinky, just add timing and watch temps.
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #5730
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For gauge wires I am using the stock wires that came with my hobbywing lol.
Also I made a time-lapse video and I thought I would put it up since wrenching takes a long time. I think filming is a cool hobby to combine with this hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmZxQCTOkY8

So yesterday I decided to wrench on my B5M. I wanted to put on some new rear hubs that a local racer from OCRC hooked me up with. I had to remove my first generation MIP pucks that were from the b4.2. I did the 3mm drill trick to make the hinge pins work with old hubs. Then I dismantled the transmission. I then shimmed the aluminum top shaft so there is no play. Once I finished with that I put the original AEB5M ball diff, dog bones and AE blue hubs. I am also running the AE low friction O rings and my shocks do not leak at all. Aside from that I have a custom-made slipper eliminator from a 3d printer. I am running a 69-spur gear with a 31-pinion gear and my motor never gets.
I will hopefully get the MIP pucks for the B5 soon until then the steel bones will have to do.
Support your local tracks and hobby shops, without them we will have nowhere to use our RC cars. If your going to buy stuff online buy from RCTECH. When I say support I mean do some turn marshaling and help pick up trash and buy stuff there. I don't mean get robbed by paying a fee to watch a race.
millhouse420 is offline   Reply With Quote