R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 06-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #5431
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The weight reduction craze never ceases to amaze me. The same guys still win without even a thought of weight reduction. They just out wheel everyone because they are good drivers.

To each their own I guess.
Support your LHS.
Sponsored by my wife who gives me no grief
Rybeau40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #5432
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybeau40 View Post
The weight reduction craze never ceases to amaze me. The same guys still win without even a thought of weight reduction. They just out wheel everyone because they are good drivers.

To each their own I guess.
Criticizing other people's creativity and hard work never ceases to amaze me. These guys worked hard to come up with something pretty cool, and all you can think to do is criticize.

I think the chassis is great. Not only that, I appreciate the motivation and creativity behind the chassis. He took something and improved upon it. If people like you had your way we'd all still be racing rc10's.

Why don't you post something you worked hard on so we can all criticize you for it?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #5433
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
So i have been using chassis tape for a while now. Mostly the JC uncut sheets. I dont really mind cutting the sheets. I started using chassis tape when I started to buy cars with an alum chassis. Initially to protect it and keep it looking nice and secondly to reduction friction when the chassis rubs the ground. Recently,. I sold a car and removed the tape prior to selling. Well that was not a fun experience. It left a ton of sticky residue, I used some elbow grease and goo gone to get it cleaned up. When I converted my B5M a week ago, I put on chassis tape again during the conversion. I have maybe 10 packs on the car and it is already starting to tear in a few places. So I am debating trying the AE uncut tape or just refraining from tape in the future. I have been apply chassis tape to the entire chassis, but another issue removing the rear diff or suspension holders. Normally, I use a hobby knife and just cut the circles around the screws so they can be removed. But once I do that it starts to pack dirt into the opening and it seems to increase the tearing on the tape. I could just simply replace my tape every 2 weeks, but honestly, that will cost more than just replacing my chassis ever 6 months. Plus, I would have to worry less about chassis tweak.

What are your guys thoughts on chassis tape? Anyone used the AE uncut stuff? I had it on my b44 and it was so slick I could barely hold onto the car, but it tore easier than the JC stuff. Maybe that was because of the weight of the b44 and the fact it slapped much more than a 2wd buggy.

Wildcat. Buy the ones with the w3 logo on them, they are 12 bucks and the main chassis sticker is one piece and there is a seperate small square that covers the back of the chassis over the diff screws and when you buy the sheet it comes with 2 of the pieces that cover the diff. This allows you to just pull off that small back piece, work on your diff and then put a new piece back on without removing the whole thing
scythe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #5434
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC10Nick View Post
Criticizing other people's creativity and hard work never ceases to amaze me. These guys worked hard to come up with something pretty cool, and all you can think to do is criticize.

I think the chassis is great. Not only that, I appreciate the motivation and creativity behind the chassis. He took something and improved upon it. If people like you had your way we'd all still be racing rc10's.

Why don't you post something you worked hard on so we can all criticize you for it?
TLR and Kyosho both mill out their chassis. Maybe in the future that will be something AE does for a FT version of the chassis. I think it makes sense to do this. And it was even done to the gold tubs back in the day . My only concern is mounting electronics. With my TLR and Kyosho cars, if the chassis were "over milled", I would have issues with servo tape coming loose. Granted I was racing out doors and the rocks/dirt seems to find their way into everything. And even get under my tape and cause it to fail. So that is my only concern. I know some guys use shoe goo. But I dont wanna do that.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #5435
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe23 View Post
Wildcat. Buy the ones with the w3 logo on them, they are 12 bucks and the main chassis sticker is one piece and there is a seperate small square that covers the back of the chassis over the diff screws and when you buy the sheet it comes with 2 of the pieces that cover the diff. This allows you to just pull off that small back piece, work on your diff and then put a new piece back on without removing the whole thing
oh, that sounds like a good idea. A separate piece for the rear. I am unsure if i will get the W3 tape, but I might just make extra rear pieces out of the scraps. But, I will take a look at the W3 stuff next time I race. I find the pre-cut stuff a real pain to align on the chassis.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #5436
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcOldskool View Post
My coworker is a New Design Engineer and CNC programmer for our huge CNC's. We did a Solidworks FEA Stress analysis on the B5M chassis to see how we can remove weight without affecting rigidity. The "spiderweb" design is used to retain its "factory" stiffness indicated in dark blue in the first pic below. The lighter shades are somewhat weaker areas. Without the spiderwebs we started to see green to yellow areas which noticeably have more flex under load so in order to reduce weight and keep it within light blue to dark, we had to add the ribs. We weren't concerned about the lighter shades not dark blue because once the plastic parts were assembled and installed, the chassis was re-enforced to no flex at all. The last pic is the final product with plastic frames attached. Mill time is 39 minutes a chassis at .073" depth. Factory mill is .050". Chassis is .105" total so there's .032" left at bottom of mill holes. Effective weight loss of 30 grams on the money and still stiff as stock. The power of solidworks at its best when used to its potential.

That looks awesome
Old 06-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #5437
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcOldskool View Post
My coworker is a New Design Engineer and CNC programmer for our huge CNC's. We did a Solidworks FEA Stress analysis on the B5M chassis to see how we can remove weight without affecting rigidity. The "spiderweb" design is used to retain its "factory" stiffness indicated in dark blue in the first pic below. The lighter shades are somewhat weaker areas. Without the spiderwebs we started to see green to yellow areas which noticeably have more flex under load so in order to reduce weight and keep it within light blue to dark, we had to add the ribs. We weren't concerned about the lighter shades not dark blue because once the plastic parts were assembled and installed, the chassis was re-enforced to no flex at all. The last pic is the final product with plastic frames attached. Mill time is 39 minutes a chassis at .073" depth. Factory mill is .050". Chassis is .105" total so there's .032" left at bottom of mill holes. Effective weight loss of 30 grams on the money and still stiff as stock. The power of solidworks at its best when used to its potential.

Ordering 2 today! I was there when he weighed the prototype vs stock and it's sweet looking in person! The SolidWorks model also correctly calculated the weight loss at 30g So I also trust that the FEA stress analysis correctly predicts no loss in stiffness

My RC Racing Blog- http://ra99gt-rcracing.blogspot.com/
My YouTube Channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/ra99gt
RA99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #5438
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75

I want one.......
Old 06-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #5439
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
oh, that sounds like a good idea. A separate piece for the rear. I am unsure if i will get the W3 tape, but I might just make extra rear pieces out of the scraps. But, I will take a look at the W3 stuff next time I race. I find the pre-cut stuff a real pain to align on the chassis.
I didn't think it was that bad. I cut a 2 in strip off the backing paper and lined up that small section and stuck it down. After that the sheet is so stiff you can just pull off the rest and lay it down
scythe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #5440
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC10Nick View Post

Sorry that you feel that everyone should agree with all the constant pics of a scale and an RC sitting on it. Creativity? sure np. It's real creative. Is it necessary? Nope. Pointing it out whether you like it or not.
Support your LHS.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #5441
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
TLR and Kyosho both mill out their chassis. Maybe in the future that will be something AE does for a FT version of the chassis. I think it makes sense to do this. And it was even done to the gold tubs back in the day . My only concern is mounting electronics. With my TLR and Kyosho cars, if the chassis were "over milled", I would have issues with servo tape coming loose. Granted I was racing out doors and the rocks/dirt seems to find their way into everything. And even get under my tape and cause it to fail. So that is my only concern. I know some guys use shoe goo. But I dont wanna do that.
My comment wasn't directed at you at all! You brought up a practical concern that you had. Nothing wrong with that. The other guy posted only to be a condescending prick about it.

Quote:
Sorry that you feel that everyone should agree with all the constant pics of a scale and an RC sitting on it. Creativity? sure np. It's real creative. Is it necessary? Nope. Pointing it out whether you like it or not.
Still waiting for you to post something you worked hard on so we can criticize you for it.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #5442
Tech Regular

Going tit for tat isn't what this thread is for nor will I entertain. Again, I stick by my stance that all the weight reduction craze is overdone and could steer new racers down an expensive, time-consuming path that will quickly push them out of he hobby due to time and cost. I see it all the time.

It's great work and not meant to "criticize" as you like to contend. Playing devil's advocate for the average racer or new to the hobby is sometimes a good thing.

It's my view and will be the last I reply on it.

Funny you mention RC10 and it's in your nick. We have a group of guys with the released RC10 world car having a blast with them.
Support your LHS.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #5443
Tech Prophet

I am not into the weight reduction craze. I just do the same thing I do on all of my cars. Ti Turnbuckles and Avid Slippers. Not really for weight specifically, Mostly for durability and performance. But I do feel that the B5M is a bit on the chubby side. I am around 1650 with a shorty. So that seems a little chunky. I figure if i can get 1590-1600, that will be fine for mod. I mostly feel its too heavy on landings, but I am still playing with my shock package and it is getting better. It almost does not even slap anymore. For those guys running at 1500 grams, then yeah you are going to spend and spend. That is the stupid thing about 17.5....the money.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #5444
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Going tit for tat isn't what this thread is for nor will I entertain. Again, I stick by my stance that all the weight reduction craze is overdone and could steer new racers down an expensive, time-consuming path that will quickly push them out of he hobby due to time and cost. I see it all the time.

It's great work and not meant to "criticize" as you like to contend. Playing devil's advocate for the average racer or new to the hobby is sometimes a good thing.

It's my view and will be the last I reply on it.

Funny you mention RC10 and it's in your nick. We have a group of guys with the released RC10 world car having a blast with them.
The B5M is a pig of a car and does need weight reduction for blinky class. Everyone can make their own decision as to whether or not they need that chassis milling. I think it would be nice if they made 3 different chassis flex options for tuning. Shouldn't be super difficult to do...
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #5445
Tech Legend

dup

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 06-20-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote