R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #4111
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 21
Default Just finished my build

I thought the b5m build went together rather nicely. Only a few things concerned me. One were the dog bones. It seemed that the molding for the pin wasn't centered in the manufacturing process so if I insert it into the outdrive one way it binds like hell but if i flop it 180 degrees it fits but with a slight wobble (even tried other outdrive still did the same and it was only one dog bone not both). My second issue I had were the stock turnbuckles. IMO they are junk. The lengths on them are wayyyyy to long. You end up having to bury the threads so far into the tie-rod end that you can't even make adjustments to camber or toe with out the damn things popping off. Since they are so tightly buried into the tie-rod end it also acts like a clamp on the ball stud. So that once free moving ball cup, becomes tight with binding once everything is adjusted to where it should be.

With that said everything else in the build went together flawlessly. I contacted AE about replacement dogbones since it has been an issue with other customers and they said they will replace for free! Awesome! As for the turnbuckles I don't know what I am going to do. Probably find me some shorter length ones or perhaps contact AE again to let them know whats going on.
leskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #4112
Tech Elite
 
gticlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,037
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leskai View Post
I thought the b5m build went together rather nicely. Only a few things concerned me. One were the dog bones. It seemed that the molding for the pin wasn't centered in the manufacturing process so if I insert it into the outdrive one way it binds like hell but if i flop it 180 degrees it fits but with a slight wobble (even tried other outdrive still did the same and it was only one dog bone not both). My second issue I had were the stock turnbuckles. IMO they are junk. The lengths on them are wayyyyy to long. You end up having to bury the threads so far into the tie-rod end that you can't even make adjustments to camber or toe with out the damn things popping off. Since they are so tightly buried into the tie-rod end it also acts like a clamp on the ball stud. So that once free moving ball cup, becomes tight with binding once everything is adjusted to where it should be.

With that said everything else in the build went together flawlessly. I contacted AE about replacement dogbones since it has been an issue with other customers and they said they will replace for free! Awesome! As for the turnbuckles I don't know what I am going to do. Probably find me some shorter length ones or perhaps contact AE again to let them know whats going on.
Yeah, if you get Lunsford Ti turnbuckles you won't have that problem. See the pic of mine a page or 2 back and you'll see what I mean.
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #4113
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

[QUOTE=bilster44;13239118]But Cherry you are stating something that is just not true...and that in itself will mislead people. I'm done with this.[/QUOTE


forgive me for trying

What I posted was true ...


Or ?
Some of the ball cups must have defects..


Standing by my word..

The ball cups are not defective and the proof they are good is ...


A shorter rod will never bind the cups & will be smooth ....
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #4114
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Of course, my shop doesn't have greys [/QUOTE]

Trcr has lots of um. ha !

Don't waste the time with searching for another brand.

Instead suggest to start with green rear & white front & wait for some greys to try later.
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #4115
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Omaha,NE
Posts: 2,553
Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default

First ever Associated build and the quality seems pretty decent. Although the diff thrust bolt included in the kit didn't have any threads on the end of it, run to the hobby shop and that was taken care of. Definitely waiting for the lunsford turnbuckles to get back in stock at Amain, used chapstick on the stockers and adjustments still aren't very easy with the cups popping off.

WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #4116
Tech Initiate
 
aeMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 31
Default

So proud of the B5M build I recently finished
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-b5m.jpg  
__________________

Team Associated\\\\\\Reedy\\\\\\JConcepts\\\\\\Airtronics\\\\\\Upgrade RC
www.rc10.com/www.jconcepts.net/www.airtronics.net/www.upgrade-rc.com
aeMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #4117
Super Moderator
 
Kraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sun Prairie, WI
Posts: 6,416
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
To cut the weight down; Titanium screw kit, AE aluminum top shaft, Schelle slipper eliminator. remove battery strap, thumb screws & foam, cut out all braces behind servo, between battery post, and triangle sections next to tranny mount. AKA Typo tires. Oh yea and the dog bones were polished chrome to make it go faster.
Wow, never thought of polishing my dog bones, no wonder why you were so fast this past weekend! Congrats again on a job well done.
__________________
There is great need for a sarcasm font.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #4118
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 21
Default The New Buggy

This is my new ride finished painting the other day can't wait to hit the track!
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-b5m.jpg  
leskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #4119
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

@ the track, switching to twin slipper after running the triple for the start.

Also removed 1mm bump steer.


Lets guys know how it goes later.
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #4120
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Did not get to removing the bump steer.

Did learn alot about the slipper.

Twin or triple the biggest change in performance is the spring you choose.


Springs
B5 very soft
Sc 10 very hard

for the first 6 packs been fighting a loose slipper no matter how tight I adjusted.

switched to the stiffer slipper spring and now accelerates more Betta .
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #4121
Tech Master
 
Fabulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: WI.
Posts: 1,137
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcracing View Post
Ran my mid motor this weekend in stock and was awesome but I was struggling with front bite. Any suggestions to get more front end bite Seemed to push through the corners. Other than that it was awesome to drive made me look good. Great buggy to build also

Thanks Chris.
Try the straight front arms with shock tower, 3mm trailing axle setup and
caster block bushing, offset p#91403. currently using this setup and has smooth entry, mid and exit steering.
__________________
22 4.0 - Mod
22 3.5 - Stock
22-4 2.0 - 13.5
8ight E 4.0
Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #4122
Tech Master
 
Fabulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: WI.
Posts: 1,137
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTotalghost View Post
How does the battery stay in place
3M double sided tape
__________________
22 4.0 - Mod
22 3.5 - Stock
22-4 2.0 - 13.5
8ight E 4.0
Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #4123
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 88
Send a message via AIM to slappomatt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
Try the straight front arms with shock tower, 3mm trailing axle setup and
caster block bushing, offset p#91403. currently using this setup and has smooth entry, mid and exit steering.
This is something else I have been wondering about. assuming the pin angles and locations are the same, changing from the gullwings to straights would only raise the shocks slightly on the car raising the CG. seems like a negative to me. are the angles different?
slappomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #4124
Tech Elite
 
Jake S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 4,607
Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappomatt View Post
This is something else I have been wondering about. assuming the pin angles and locations are the same, changing from the gullwings to straights would only raise the shocks slightly on the car raising the CG. seems like a negative to me. are the angles different?


__________________
VooDoo Racing Cells | Flying Farmer RC | Trackside Hobby | Prochko Paintz | RG1
Jake S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #4125
Tech Addict
 
bigcracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 589
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Bushings that you are referring about the bronze ones are they zero and five degrees? They are not available yet I have the plastic ones. I installed the 5 degrees should I go to the 0 degrees?

Thanks Chris

Last edited by bigcracing; 05-06-2014 at 07:22 AM.
bigcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:41 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net