R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #3571
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
Sorry... I may have brought this up prior.

I'm not understanding the indifferent to negative claim from many folks about the stock VTS slipper. Weight aside... is it bad ? I've always thought the VTS was a nice upgrade in adjustment and holding up from AE's previous standard slipper. I was quite happy with the VTS upgrade going from a B44.1 to a B44.2 . The VTS also seems to feel just fine with no change in performance to me on my B5m.

What am I missing here ? I still haven't run a Triad/Nova slipper setup. Really that noticeable? I hate plunking down money if it's just going to feel the same to me in the end.

A couple months ago, I was got into a conversation with a couple highly skilled drivers (perhaps AE team drivers, perhaps not) here at home in OC that I trust. These 2 drivers did nothing but slipper testing for like 2 days straight. In the end, the standard AE slipper with the vented plates and high torque pads was the most consistent and preference of choice. In fact, they both still run that setup over all other options. Just something to think and add to the tuning options I suppose.
Its heavy (motor heat) and it has a small tuning window. The triad is just better. Wider tuning window, very consistent. The added benefit of less rotating mass for temps is nice. It can get toasty here in AZ, so it all helps. That being said, some people like the v2 slipper for MOD sct and 4wd buggy, because of the motors and weight. Some people claim it hold up better than the teflon avid/schelle pads. But they have the new red pads, so maybe not an issue anymore.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #3572
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In mod, the stock slipper is great, IMO. Stock it is not the best tho, a bit heavy, and lack of resolution to the adjustment. I've got a Schelle slipper ordered up for stock.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #3573
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade.... View Post
In mod, the stock slipper is great, IMO. Stock it is not the best tho, a bit heavy, and lack of resolution to the adjustment. I've got a Schelle slipper ordered up for stock.
Yeah I run 8.5 mod cause it's a blast!

Would I even notice things like the "upgraded" Nova slipper or aluminum topshaft with a mod motor ? I'd rather buy tires than 'upgrades' that I'll feel are null or barely noticeable.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #3574
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

The Wild one is a button pusher pure and simple.

He is probably the biggest supporter of TRCR and is a nice guy in person. He has been at this for a LONG time and has had his moments but is the godfather of AE fanboyism.

Don't let him get to you... It was once said "Don't feed the troll!!"

See you soon Geo... Due to my new job and schedule, I may be making my comeback to the lower stock mains!!

Long live the Wild one!!
Logi Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #3575
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BillPear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Designs View Post
So did you notice any difference going to 14g wire? On the one hand i can see needing it for stock( less resistance) on the other hand i really don't think it would matter.
12" of 12g wet noodle weighed 2g less than 3 feet of the TQ 14g so yeah it made a big difference.
BillPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #3576
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah I run 8.5 mod cause it's a blast!

Would I even notice things like the "upgraded" Nova slipper or aluminum topshaft with a mod motor ? I'd rather buy tires than 'upgrades' that I'll feel are null or barely noticeable.
+1
lee_double2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #3577
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPear View Post
12" of 12g wet noodle weighed 2g less than 3 feet of the TQ 14g so yeah it made a big difference.
Actually I meant in motor temps or punch since the wire has more resistance
Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #3578
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:

I'm not understanding the indifferent to negative claim from many folks about the stock VTS slipper. Weight aside... is it bad ? I've always thought the VTS was a nice upgrade in adjustment and holding up from AE's previous standard slipper. I was quite happy with the VTS upgrade going from a B44.1 to a B44.2 . The VTS also seems to feel just fine with no change in performance to me on my B5m.

What am I missing here ? I still haven't run a Triad/Nova slipper setup. Really that noticeable? I hate plunking down money if it's just going to feel the same to me in the end.

A couple months ago, I was got into a conversation with a couple highly skilled drivers (perhaps AE team drivers, perhaps not) here at home in OC that I trust. These 2 drivers did nothing but slipper testing for like 2 days straight. In the end, the standard AE slipper with the vented plates and high torque pads was the most consistent and preference of choice. In fact, they both still run that setup over all other options. Just something to think and add to the tuning options I suppose.
you'll understand after you try it
Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #3579
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BillPear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Designs View Post
Actually I meant in motor temps or punch since the wire has more resistance
Actually I'm still recovering from a LOOOOOOONG weekend at the Long Beach Grand Prix and haven't run it yet. Ron Schuur assures me that it will be unnoticeable, and I know that Sean Cochran is equipping all the new Reedy ESC's with 14g wire even for the Mod classes (I know that's not possible, a mod motor wont run on anything less than 4 gauge but what would those guys know anyway!)
BillPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #3580
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPear View Post
Actually I'm still recovering from a LOOOOOOONG weekend at the Long Beach Grand Prix and haven't run it yet. Ron Schuur assures me that it will be unnoticeable, and I know that Sean Cochran is equipping all the new Reedy ESC's with 14g wire even for the Mod classes (I know that's not possible, a mod motor wont run on anything less than 4 gauge but what would those guys know anyway!)
Cool Thanks. My understanding is the 12 gauge is more of a help in stock than mod but i highly doubt i can feel it.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #3581
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to slappomatt

I don't understand why a lower power motor is so critical of all things power related. like guys saying a 40C pack is fine for mod but you need 90c+ for stock??!?!? I think stock class guys just REALLY like spending money thinking it gives them an edge.
slappomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 AM   #3582
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappomatt View Post
I don't understand why a lower power motor is so critical of all things power related. like guys saying a 40C pack is fine for mod but you need 90c+ for stock??!?!? I think stock class guys just REALLY like spending money thinking it gives them an edge.
From personal experience as somebody who actually has ran stock class for a few years. The higher C rated batteries are indeed an advantage! I recall back when the 55C packs just came out. Most guys where using 25-35C packs and I had just gotten my 55C packs. Our track had a big triple out of a 180* with a short run. I could clear it easily and maybe 1 other person could clear it once when I could clear it about 90% of the time! This is back when esc's didn't have boost and motors had fixed timing...

Now maybe in mod since you have all the power you need lower C batteries are preferred since they remove a lil punch. But in stock we get all the battery we can get, I actually prefer 100C packs right now!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #3583
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

I may be making this too simplistic but I feel in order for a slipper to work the way it was designed is you have to have torque. It has to be able to slip at the exact moment the car begins to spin out because of the torque. Especially in a tight turn with a car almost ready to pass you on the outside because you are spinning out.
17.5 motors just do not have the torque. I have taken the new slipper and loosened the slipper to where the slipper gear thread is slightly inside the nut. Loose as hell because I can spin the slipper with my finger.
Then I hold both wheels and punch it and the motor cannot spin the slipper.
It almost seems that no matter where you set it doesnt matter to me.
In the end the only reason I really use the slipper for is for hard on power landings to save the drive train. Now with Triad and Schelle variants I am willing to try to see if they help. As far as Mod goes it will definitly make a difference.

Your comments please
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #3584
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We ran slippers on 27 turn stock brushed motors back in the day. A 17.5 brushless definitely has plenty of torque.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #3585
Tech Legend

The slipper does not just help control wheel spin when accelerating.

It also helps smooth entering the corners by smoothing out the weight transfer when slowing down.
VTS is quite capable of getting her done and

Proper adjustment & maintenance makes a bigger difference then the style slipper you choose.

Speaking of slipper maintenance, yesterday a team mate of mine showed off a slipper pad cleaner given to him by Hartson.
Did not get the name of the thing, sorry.
Somebody needs to post a image of as it is so kool and a must have item in anyone's pit.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote