R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 04-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #3061
Tech Rookie

Default Jconcepts 6.6 Wing

Anyone using the Jconcepts 6.6 Wing? I have both the b5 and the b5m, and the 6.6 for the mid motors does not come with a cut out for where the shock towers sit between the wings..

I have seen people shave down the whole front of the wing so it can sit on the mount. But comparing the stock b5 / b5m wings, they have the same cut outs.

Any experience with the 6.6 wings .. should i cut out the spots for the shock tower?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #3062
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fast racers....preferably owners of both b5r and b5m. I'm curious if there is a preferred platform for the stock class 17.5. and if you could please explain why you say this. Thanks in advance
R1 Wurks Motors, Batts & Fans! | Tekin RS Gen2 | R1 Wurks Servos | Reflex Racing RSD Upgrades
Michael@USPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #3063
Tech Addict

hey Michael... both are good cars , it comes down to preference on which feels best to you. maybe look at the tracks close to you and ask some guys to show you their cars. I don't know if your close to amain hobbies.. but I have known kendall for yrs and they are great guys there and would prob. let you try both cars out.

personally I enjoy both cars but think the mid jumps and corners just a little better.. you will need to learn to tune mid motor style though , so there is a bit of a learning curve.

and yes it is just a little heavier... my mid motor with transponder weighs 1548 grams.. and my rear motor is about 1505grams.. but even in stock I feel the mid carries more speed and once you understand the tuning you will find its super easy to tune in from track to track and from hard pack to loose conditions.

the rear motor car is great and a lot of guys may like it beter, but the biggest differences are the way they feel in corners, the mid carves more vs. the rotational feel of the rear.. and in bumps the mid is a little smoother and jumps are also a little smoother with the mid.. under acceleration the mid kind of squats and takes off where the rear sometimes wants to wheelie more.

but you can be very very fast with either car.. just your personal pref. will make the biggest difference.
hope that helps.
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #3064
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I drive tlr and AE and the tlr threads are much more beneficial for someone looking for input. I am not sure why this is but it annoying to say the least! I love my b5m and the last thing i would do is make comments about a car i dont own, its just not logical to me.

Anyhow, im looking for help in gaining steering. I run on a med-high bite clay type track and was wondering if dirt webs would add more steering over ions? I ordered dirt webs hoping they will work better but some tuning options to go with the tires i think would be beneficial.
Skeeter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #3065
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In for the B5m discussion... that im sure will shortly resume...
Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 AM   #3066
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

LOL Guys, please don't take my posts seriously. Every experienced racer knows that weight matters. But just because a car is quicker doesn't mean you will be faster with it. Yeah sounds weird, but work with me for a sec.

The difference between a slow car and a fast car is corner speed. If I make my car 'faster' on the track, there's a good chance that I just made it more aggressive and freed it up some. Typically I can't handle a fast car because my reflexes are shot. If I hand my car to one of my friends, they will go faster, but I will go slower.

So for me, if I 'slow' the car down by making it easier to drive (probably made it push some in the turns and lose some corner speed), I will make less mistakes and ultimately go faster.

Oh and the Hara vs the mechanic thing was funny as hell. I spit coffee out

P.S. Wild Cherry is needed. Every court needs a jester
Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #3067
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
LOL Guys, please don't take my posts seriously. Every experienced racer knows that weight matters. But just because a car is quicker doesn't mean you will be faster with it. Yeah sounds weird, but work with me for a sec.

The difference between a slow car and a fast car is corner speed. If I make my car 'faster' on the track, there's a good chance that I just made it more aggressive and freed it up some. Typically I can't handle a fast car because my reflexes are shot. If I hand my car to one of my friends, they will go faster, but I will go slower.

So for me, if I 'slow' the car down by making it easier to drive (probably made it push some in the turns and lose some corner speed), I will make less mistakes and ultimately go faster.

Oh and the Hara vs the mechanic thing was funny as hell. I spit coffee out

P.S. Wild Cherry is needed. Every court needs a jester
+1 on all counts. Great post.

I took steering out of my B5R last night by adding a mm on the front inner link and got 3/10s faster a lap instantly. It's not that before the car wasn't setup correctly, just wasn't set up right for me.

And WC is OK by me ... entertaining and sometimes right with a great online persona. The Colbert of RCTech?
34x17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #3068
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilster44 View Post
In case anyone is looking for one...AE has the FT aluminum "u braces" in stock right now
I don't see them on there site. What's the part #
splking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #3069
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by splking1 View Post
I don't see them on there site. What's the part #

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #3070
Tech Addict

hey skeeter.. did you get a chance to try and of the tuning changes I suggested yet? I also mentioned some tires to try.
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #3071
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anybody for a hooked up set up for indoor clay?
xTotalghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #3072
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
lol... you guys are funny..

its fun having a cool car and if you feel that taking weight off makes you way faster then I am all for it.

but guys like cherry and bob and wildcat also have points.. a little weight especially when a car is balanced and a good setup can also be fast.. or even faster .. if the weight settles the car down and adds just a little traction going into and thru and out of a corner.. even if its just 1/4 a second per corner.. with an average track having 8-12 corners you may find yourself going 2-3 seconds a lap faster :-)

having a car that's set up to your liking, being able to drive fast without crashing and also learning how to preload to clear jumps like triples coming out of a corner that others find hard to do are all important as well. wont matter what your car weighs if you crash 3-4 times in a race.

point is.. do what you like and have fun doing it.. ;-)
+1000

It doesn't matter what you're "dialed" setup is if you can't keep it on all 4 wheels consistently. Through several cars, I've always found it's best to truly understand all adjustments, and tune the car to what you think it needs, and that you can drive it well (and fast!) for your feel / comfort / style.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #3073
Tech Master

Don't let RCTech navigate your RC choices; that's a bad idea. Treat this site as an entity outside of your local track & racing buddies, and you'll be good. The B5m with the right setup for you is a solid car choice man. It took me a few practice days to get mine decent, and now it's more dialed than ever... and a lot of fun!

Last edited by Cpt.America; 04-02-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: edited out deleted post quote
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #3074
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTotalghost View Post
Anybody for a hooked up set up for indoor clay?
I'm pretty happy with mine now, and I only drive indoor clay (OCRC & LRH).

Everything is "kit" stock setup if not mentioned here:

Front End:
FLAT front arms & tower
4mm trailing
1mm under the front inner ballstud on tower
32.5 oil / 1.6 piston / AE White spring / middle shock hole on upper tower
24mm ride height
-1 camber

Rear End:
0 or 0.5 hub inserts
0 washers under inner ballstud on "tower" mount
30 oil / 1.6 piston / AE white spring / inside shock hole on upper tower
23.5mm ride height
-1 to -1.5 camber
Standard hub insert position for outer ballstud link

I prefer the car with saddles vs shorty so far. Batteries all the way pushed back.

Good luck
Old 04-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #3075
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Posts cleaned up. Please keep it on topic! The bashing of other forum members has to stop. (cmon guys, it's against the forum rules). Again, if you don't like advice from a particular person, USE THE IGNORE FEATURE (and/or politely correct them)... that is what it's there for. Don't slander them here in the thread. I think were all adult enough to know what's coming next if it doesn't stop.

Lets talk B5m!
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote