Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

My biggest issue right now, and why I have yet to purchase this one, is that I don't see many guys running them at the majority of club tracks. Obviously, if your club track is super grip or high bite than they are great, but I would be concerned with the fact that most tracks just aren't high bite indoor or outdoor.

Anyone successfully using the M version on lesser bite, loamy type tracks?
Old 03-22-2014, 07:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rybeau40
My biggest issue right now, and why I have yet to purchase this one, is that I don't see many guys running them at the majority of club tracks. Obviously, if your club track is super grip or high bite than they are great, but I would be concerned with the fact that most tracks just aren't high bite indoor or outdoor.

Anyone successfully using the M version on lesser bite, loamy type tracks?
listen.... "If" your torn or concerned, then the RM is probably for you. We have a guy trying to get one to work out doors. Not loamy, but not high bite. He is faster and more consistent with the RM. He has both btw. Asking people if they are winning with it, its kinda a useless question. I could tell you I tq and win every week, but it means nothing. Who an I racing against? Novice? Low local talent pool. If you are ever in doubt, just get a RM. Easier to drive a car with too much rear traction, than one with too little
Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

She's a lil fatty..... this is with a saddle pack and probably 10 or so extra grams of wire

Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by BillPear
I cant believe that you don't realize that Cherry knows everything their is to know, and a bit more than that as well!

I drive both rides , just doing my best to be helpful , friendly and on topic.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
listen.... "If" your torn or concerned, then the RM is probably for you. We have a guy trying to get one to work out doors. Not loamy, but not high bite. He is faster and more consistent with the RM. He has both btw. Asking people if they are winning with it, its kinda a useless question. I could tell you I tq and win every week, but it means nothing. Who an I racing against? Novice? Low local talent pool. If you are ever in doubt, just get a RM. Easier to drive a car with too much rear traction, than one with too little
+1 on winning, last night our good guys were winning with B4.2, RB6's, 90% driver and set up.

Parts are going to be hard to find, I got extra arms, towers before I build RM and a few small things, surprised we have not seen hop up parts come to market faster from JC and others. All I have seen are battery straps. Car is crazy durable though have not broken one thing yet so my extra parts are still in box.

My take on C4 compared to BMM, not as solid, little more skittish, felt like it was riding on top of the dirt for me while the B5MM is down in the dirt and I can push harder. My son inherited C4.2 last night and loves it. Still 90% driver.

I like the MM car, being in sport since last year and going from b4.1 RTR to B4.2, C4.2 and now B5MM maybe don't have to build a car for awhile , ran car last night was very predicable, didn't crash a lot just need to push harder and run cleaner lines. I like the 2mm trailing with standard Ackerman tons of steering, fits my driving. I like flat arms for quick ride height tuning but for time being may play with shocks. I did stock set up but used tapered since I had them, but may try 1.6 in rear. Really want to lighten it up a little for stock so that is my mission for now along with new JC body.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
She's a lil fatty..... this is with a saddle pack and probably 10 or so extra grams of wire

I'm 1590 with shorty, got FT battery strap and new top shaft, hope to be 1575.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cridd
+1 on winning, last night our good guys were winning with B4.2, RB6's, 90% driver and set up.

Parts are going to be hard to find, I got extra arms, towers before I build RM and a few small things, surprised we have not seen hop up parts come to market faster from JC and others. All I have seen are battery straps. Car is crazy durable though have not broken one thing yet so my extra parts are still in box.

My take on C4 compared to BMM, not as solid, little more skittish, felt like it was riding on top of the dirt for me while the B5MM is down in the dirt and I can push harder. My son inherited C4.2 last night and loves it. Still 90% driver.

I like the MM car, being in sport since last year and going from b4.1 RTR to B4.2, C4.2 and now B5MM maybe don't have to build a car for awhile , ran car last night was very predicable, didn't crash a lot just need to push harder and run cleaner lines. I like the 2mm trailing with standard Ackerman tons of steering, fits my driving. I like flat arms for quick ride height tuning but for time being may play with shocks. I did stock set up but used tapered since I had them, but may try 1.6 in rear. Really want to lighten it up a little for stock so that is my mission for now along with new JC body.

The rm is stupid light and with pucks, guys will probably need to add weight. I am sure the MM can be made very light. people forget that the esc weight. Some esc's are 40 grams heavier. Those all alum v3.1 and the orions and bricks. The tekin gen2 is 40 grams lighter than the orion, and the viper is about 20 grams lighter. Some of the old sxx and smaller lrps, mught be really light too. 12awg wire is heavier than the TQ 13 awg wire. Add in some TI screws and turnbuckles and you "should" be able to get the car into the mid 1500's. Imo, if you get below 1550, it should be fine. Also, the 150 gram 3300 mah shorties might work for guys doing 5 minutes races. Plus, all of the alum bling, only adds more weight. I would only put it where you need it for durability.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Legend

Default My B5m build

Purchased already

Alloy rear arm mounts
Alloy steering
Carbon battery strap
Alloy shock standoffs
Lunsford Ti rods
JConcepts serrated wheel nuts
Alloy blue lock nuts for shock stand offs.
Ae ceramic diff balls
Lunsford Ti front steering axles
Low friction X rings for shocks

Still have not purchase a kit yet, just got the money yesterday.
So I'm on stand by till we get more kits.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Purchased already

Alloy rear arm mounts
Alloy steering
Carbon battery strap
Alloy shock standoffs
Lunsford Ti rods
JConcepts serrated wheel nuts
Alloy blue lock nuts for shock stand offs.
Ae ceramic diff balls
Lunsford Ti front steering axles
Low friction X rings for shocks

I gave not purchase a out yet, just got the money yesterday.
So I oxn stand by till we get more kits.
What is the part number for the alloy steering and where did you get it
Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Did the Ti screws and no alum hop ups for weight. LRP flow is a little hefty. Might try that Protech super light battery just to see if weight helps times in this car since that would get it down fast and easy test. Puck system will be cool for stock. My RM was at 1525, at races came in at 1498 on their scale, it is stupid light.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Tradin Paint
What is the part number for the alloy steering and where did you get it
Not sure what the part # is , we got a whole bunch in at Trcr last Wednesday .
Still have plenty.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by billjacobs
I built a b5m over the weekend (took about 5 hours total) and these are my suggestions:

1) use super fine synthetic steel wool pads (about $5) to polish the ball ends, shock shafts, and the front inner hinge pins (simply put the item into a dremel, spin it up and then polish with the pad for a few seconds)- this is especially true for the front inner hinge pins because the front kick up block is very tight.

2) in the gearbox, use 1 .1x10mm shim to take slop out of the diff, and 1 .1x5mm shim to take slop out of the top shaft (between the top shaft gear and the aluminum spacer)

3) use 3 .3x4mm shims to remove play from the rear arms. in my kit, the rear left arm had twice the play of the right, so I put 1 shim at the back of the left arm, and then 1 shim in front of both arms. this removed all play.

4) the turnbuckles are way too long. they used the same ones as the b4, but since the ball cups are longer, you go past the threaded area by quite a bit. I had some 43mm turnbuckles laying around and they worked perfectly. don't forget to put chapstick on the threads.

5) the diff went together fine, but the stock diff rings are not flat. I had to sand mine to get them flat.

6) if you are using a novak ballistic motor, the motor shaft hits the gear cover. I simply used a reamer to open a hole where the shaft made an indent in the cover.

7) take your time with the gear box screws, they are tight.

8) the stock wheel nuts are junk. when you go to take them off, 2 of the nylon inserts got jammed in the threads. i just used regular 4mm serrated nuts

9) the only part my kit was missing was one of the 3 hole plastic rear hub inserts (go opposite the blue aluminum one.) Aside from that, the 8 year old putting the box together did well.

Other than those issues, the build went fine. It really is a nice car, and I especially like the reasonable prices. Even though many will get the hopups as they are released, you really don't need them.

Good job team associated.
Appreciate the tips. Just a small correction on #2 though. You'll need 6mm shims for that top shaft gear, not 5mm.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Damn, what are you guys feeding those things? I'm 1528 as it came off the track last night, with the Orion R10! By the time the JC Stock Nationals start at OC_RC next month I expect to be under ROAR minimum, with a milled motor plate, aluminum top shaft, and a puck kit.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Any body know where I can pick up 91389 arm mount inserts (d)
Old 03-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
I drive both rides , just doing my best to be helpful , friendly and on topic.
I for one appreciate the info you provide, as I know who and where you race, there is alot of talent in th NW!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.