Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by rigor
I never said the towers aren't interchangable; in fact my post reflected that you absolutely need the correct matching arms along with the tower, or the shocks do not function properly. Just wanted to clarify.
Sorry I meant to say that the B5 towers must be matched with straight arms and B5m towers with gull wings... bad english on my part
Old 03-20-2014, 12:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by juicy74
Sorry I meant to say that the B5 towers must be matched with straight arms and B5m towers with gull wings... bad english on my part
Why do they have to match?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by xTotalghost
Why do they have to match?
The fact that there is a specific tower for a specific arm is all that needs to match. The wider top tower goes with the gullwing arm and the narrower top with the straight arm. And they are interchangeable on both mid and rear motor buggies.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Anyone know how this buggy feels compared to the Yokomo B-Max2 V2 MR in MM config?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
Bill Pear, what changes have you made specifically to run @ OCRC. It is a very similar track to mine. I am just curious as I cant stand a car that pushes.
I started with the setup Kody posted on RC10.com, From there my only changes are white front springs and tapered pistons of the same hole configuration. It seems to work pretty well for me.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by juicy74
Hmmm... if the front shock towers arent interchangeable like Rigor has mentioned then these carcon bling ones wont work for 1 of the cars.
a guy at the track broke a front arm and was running flat arms with stock M tower.he said it felt good and got second in mod on a medium/low bite track.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rallyredevo
Anyone know how this buggy feels compared to the Yokomo B-Max2 V2 MR in MM config?
I like the yokomo, one of the factory drivers was at my track. The yokomo is smooth a lot more steering but the price point is high
Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

is there a chassis protector out yet for the b5m?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I like the JC uncut Protectors. Cheap and last longer than the precut ones for me.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

I also like the uncut JC protectors the only reason I would buy a precut is if I get a personalized one
Old 03-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Graham11
Stick it has them clear or graphics

Jason
Old 03-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Graham11
Upgrade has them
Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The reason that the arms and towers need to be matched up is simple geometry. Take one of them, lets say the gullwing set, and draw a straight line from the inner hinge pin to the mounting point of the shock. Now draw a line from that point through the shock. Look at that angle. Now draw a straight line from the inner hinge pin to the lower shock mounting point on a straight arm. If the shock were still on the same tower, the angle from the hinge pin/lower mount to the shock would be different. In order to keep this the same you'd need to move the top of the shocks inwards which AE does with the corresponding arms. Location for location between each set of arms, the only way to keep the shock leverage the same for each is to also move the top of the shocks over.

The difference in handling between a gullwing and a straight arm has nothing to do with the fact that the arm is straight or not. It has everything to do with the shocks. With the gullwing arms, the shocks are mounted slightly lower which slightly lowers the cg of the front. But the top of the shocks mount slightly farther out meaning that while the front cg is slightly lower, that weight is spread out over a slightly wider area. The straight arms mount the shocks slightly higher which means the front cg will be slightly higher than the gullwing car but the tops of the shocks will be inwards a bit more which means the shock weight will be more central than on the gullwing car.

It is the slight change in front cg height and the location that the shock weight is spread out over laterally that ultimately effects the handling of the front of the car. Hopefully this quick little illustration that I did will explain it.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-arm-comparison.jpg  
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by predu
a guy at the track broke a front arm and was running flat arms with stock M tower.he said it felt good and got second in mod on a medium/low bite track.
I mean, it works. He should have noticed he had to set his shock collars at the top in a much different position than before. Also tell him to check his front ride heights after some drops on the bench. It should be low. Really low! As Sean Cochran stated, the geometry will be off and limit the uptravel on the shocks if you have a B5m tower and flat arms. Car was off and not consistent for me before I realized the error of running that configuration. Just get the flat arms and tower and be done with it
Old 03-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rigor
I mean, it works. He should have noticed he had to set his shock collars at the top in a much different position than before. Also tell him to check his front ride heights after some drops on the bench. It should be low. Really low! As Sean Cochran stated, the geometry will be off and limit the uptravel on the shocks if you have a B5m tower and flat arms. Car was off and not consistent for me before I realized the error of running that configuration. Just get the flat arms and tower and be done with it
he is a pretty good racer from out of town. he knew there was a different tower and it is in stock at our track but did it anyway and liked it. i guess when the ryan's do it maybe then people will try it and might like it. I dunno. he said ride height was good and used the same hole up top also. he got 2nd in expert mod at a track he only raced a couple times, first place was one of our regular experts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.