R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #2221
Tech Master
 
rigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,528
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter View Post
Rigor is the only one that is having this problem....something about hooking??? Talked to some ae drivers and they all found it funny. Mines dialed (clay, indoors) thanks to the help of those drivers. I think it's lack of knowledge when tuning or driving.

Take the ballstud washers out on the rear brace and lay down the shocks in the back. Run 2x1.6 machined pistons all the way around and 32.5wt in the front and 30wt in the back. 69 tooth spur and run 3mm trailing axle with 1mm on the Ackerman. Also mid motor buggies like their diffs a little tight.
First off, if you followed the entire thread, you'd see a few others spoke up with similar behavior... one guy was even at the same track(s). Also, the current crop of guys doing well with the B5m around here in Orange County, have all moved to the flat arms and have definitely tweaked the rear end of the vehicle, because several people couldn't get the rear calmed down.

If you read my posts, you'd know I've been trying to tune the car with the assistance of a mechanical engineer. This individual is very well known around our parts, cause he's a nice dude, and he understands the mechanics of tuning cars; not by "run this setup" or "do this instead".... dude can ask what your car is doing wrong or what you're looking to improve, and can explain what to do and why in great detail. This is for any car; off-road, on-road, and not brand specific. So it's not like I've just been trying things at random.

And my current rear setup that made it feel better to me, is quite similar to what you described. I went to 30 oil in the back with 1.6 pistons, softer springs, 0 inner rear ballstud washers, and went to the outside hole on the lower rear arm for the shock mounting. I also went down to a 78 spur just to get the motor back a hair more.

I'm glad your team drivers out there in WI find it amusing, but the issue is real and certainly not made up. It's no coincidence all our AE guys here in OC where a ton of pro RC drivers and companies call home, have already changed to the flat arms, rear end tweaking, etc. Everyone experiencing it ? Probably not. All tracks and surfaces and driving styles are different.

Regarding driving knowledge, My buddy's Serpent 2wd mid-motor drives how I was expecting and hoping the B5m would. And no doubt the B5m will get there, just need further driving & tuning time.
__________________
* Jesse H. *

Last edited by rigor; 03-15-2014 at 07:22 PM.
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #2222
Tech Adept
 
SilentHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 128
Default

Rigor I meant to ask if you were the only one having this problem to the forum. Amazing how periods change the way I came off, should have been ??? I apologize for not editing it. But yes I talked to a few of the guys and none had heard from the drivers out at cactus about this issue. Maybe because the track has extreme grip. I consider my local track high to med grip it depends on the age of the track. Right now it's med grip and I don't have any troubles cornering or in the sweeper.
SilentHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #2223
Tech Master
 
rigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,528
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter View Post
Rigor I meant to ask if you were the only one having this problem to the forum. Amazing how periods change the way I came off, should have been ??? I apologize for not editing it. But yes I talked to a few of the guys and none had heard from the drivers out at cactus about this issue. Maybe because the track has extreme grip. I consider my local track high to med grip it depends on the age of the track. Right now it's med grip and I don't have any troubles cornering or in the sweeper.
All good man. Interpreting text / email / forums sometimes goes wonky. No worries

They probably didn't hear any issues from Cactus, because those guys were at OCRC 2 weeks ago already changing away from the B5m kit setup to dial in the car.
__________________
* Jesse H. *
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #2224
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Rigor

Sounds to me like you are new to mid motor , am I right ?
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #2225
Tech Master
 
rigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,528
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Rigor

Sounds to me like you are new to mid motor , am I right ?
Correct. I've driven a lot of 2wd & 4wd mod buggy in my time. Also, I can pick up my buddy's Serpent 2wd mid-motor, and it's easier to drive, and forgiving... and fast around the corners! So my situation with the B5m at the moment isn't only a driving style issue, cause I drive my buddy's car and it's super dialed. Not to mention that Serpent has several nice features the B5m lacks, and nicer equipment right in the box, all for only $40 more. Designed by Billy Easton who did the B3 / B4 I believe. Serpent is really gaining momentum here in SoCal. OCRC and another big online store down here are about to carry their cars and parts
__________________
* Jesse H. *

Last edited by rigor; 03-15-2014 at 07:37 PM.
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #2226
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Rigor



Half of this sport is pure mental.
If you even think the car is not right , that alone will hold you down like a anchor.


Either car has plenty of grip.

Not like one has more then the other.

So if your B5 is off ?

Don't blame the car, blame the tune instead and start making obvious changes that may help the problem.

Trust me here, after a few easy adjustments you just may begin to like your B5 even more then your buddy's snake ride.
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #2227
Tech Addict
 
BillPear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The O.C. 92646
Posts: 748
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BillPear
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
First off, if you followed the entire thread, you'd see a few others spoke up with similar behavior... one guy was even at the same track(s). Also, the current crop of guys doing well with the B5m around here in Orange County, have all moved to the flat arms and have definitely tweaked the rear end of the vehicle, because several people couldn't get the rear calmed down.

If you read my posts, you'd know I've been trying to tune the car with the assistance of a mechanical engineer. This individual is very well known around our parts, cause he's a nice dude, and he understands the mechanics of tuning cars; not by "run this setup" or "do this instead".... dude can ask what your car is doing wrong or what you're looking to improve, and can explain what to do and why in great detail. This is for any car; off-road, on-road, and not brand specific. So it's not like I've just been trying things at random.

And my current rear setup that made it feel better to me, is quite similar to what you described. I went to 30 oil in the back with 1.6 pistons, softer springs, 0 inner rear ballstud washers, and went to the outside hole on the lower rear arm for the shock mounting. I also went down to a 78 spur just to get the motor back a hair more.

I'm glad your team drivers out there in WI find it amusing, but the issue is real and certainly not made up. It's no coincidence all our AE guys here in OC where a ton of pro RC drivers and companies call home, have already changed to the flat arms, rear end tweaking, etc. Everyone experiencing it ? Probably not. All tracks and surfaces and driving styles are different.

Regarding driving knowledge, My buddy's Serpent 2wd mid-motor drives how I was expecting and hoping the B5m would. And no doubt the B5m will get there, just need further driving & tuning time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
Correct. I've driven a lot of 2wd & 4wd mod buggy in my time. Also, I can pick up my buddy's Serpent 2wd mid-motor, and it's easier to drive, and forgiving... and fast around the corners! So my situation with the B5m at the moment isn't only a driving style issue, cause I drive my buddy's car and it's super dialed. Not to mention that Serpent has several nice features the B5m lacks, and nicer equipment right in the box, all for only $40 more. Designed by Billy Easton who did the B3 / B4 I believe. Serpent is really gaining momentum here in SoCal. OCRC and another big online store down here are about to carry their cars and parts
Jesse, your "pushing rope" here. Stick with our local "tribal knowledge", share what you learn with these guys if you like, but I have found that most of them know everything. Give it a month and Steven, The Ryans, and the rest of the Works team will have it sorted.

That said it seems like your smitten with the serpent, might be a good Idea to go there since it's already in your head. And damn, "your Buddy's" 4wd buggy was dialed last night!
BillPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #2228
Tech Master
 
rigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,528
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Rigor



Half of this sport is pure mental.
If you even think the car is not right , that alone will hold you down like a anchor.


Either car has plenty of grip.

Not like one has more then the other.

So if your B5 is off ?

Don't blame the car, blame the tune instead and start making obvious changes that may help the problem.

Trust me here, after a few easy adjustments you just may begin to like your B5 even more then your buddy's snake ride.
Hi Cherry,

The last sentence from one of my above posts.... "And no doubt the B5m will get there, just need further driving & tuning time."

Also, I totally agree, this sport is a lot of mental focus. It really is. You got to have your head really in the game to be on point to be a really fast racer (particularly out here in SoCal... it's steep competition everywhere, all the time).

Not blaming the B5m. It's a nice kit for the price, and there is no doubt it will just get better and better as more and more divers of all skill levels get tuning time and laps in on the car.

I am a bit disappointed in what I hear though that the AE drivers hardly got any time with the vehicle prior to release. This just seems silly to me when you have several of the top drivers on the globe, all right here "at home" of AE in Orange County. It just means the kit setup is a ballpark, but you're going to have to dial it in further from there for peak performance, as well as driving style. I got no major problems with that, especially on an entirely brand new platform. Disappointed with out of box setup. Yeah. Did I already make nice strides forward each day I further drove and tuned it? Yup!
__________________
* Jesse H. *

Last edited by rigor; 03-15-2014 at 08:46 PM.
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #2229
Tech Master
 
rigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,528
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPear View Post
Jesse, your "pushing rope" here. Stick with our local "tribal knowledge", share what you learn with these guys if you like, but I have found that most of them know everything. Give it a month and Steven, The Ryans, and the rest of the Works team will have it sorted.

That said it seems like your smitten with the serpent, might be a good Idea to go there since it's already in your head. And damn, "your Buddy's" 4wd buggy was dialed last night!
Hi Bill,

I understand what you mean. I like visiting the forums to see what everyone is doing and saying

Already spoke to Hartson about the car issues I was having. We'll see how burnt out he may be next week after getting back from Cactus, but no doubt he can further help me out.

I heard "My Engineer" and Mr. Jimmy Barnett had an awesome 4wd mod buggy race Friday night @ OCRC. I've driven that 4wd XRAY; it's pretty dialed

Anyway... good luck to all with the B5m!
__________________
* Jesse H. *
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #2230
Tech Addict
 
BillPear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The O.C. 92646
Posts: 748
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BillPear
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
Hi Bill,

I understand what you mean. I like visiting the forums to see what everyone is doing and saying

Already spoke to Hartson about the car issues I was having. We'll see how burnt out he may be next week after getting back from Cactus, but no doubt he can further help me out.

I heard "My Engineer" and Mr. Jimmy Barnett had an awesome 4wd mod buggy race Friday night @ OCRC. I've driven that 4wd XRAY; it's pretty dialed

Anyway... good luck to all with the B5m!
Did you look into Kodys setup on RC10.com? I didn't notice in the previous pages. That's what I started with....
BillPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #2231
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 524
Default

when you do a kits setup you try and do a middle ground that will work ok all over the place.. you will def. need to fine tune for your local tracks. not to mention your personal driving style. for clay hard tracks yes the flat arms will prob. work better.. for outdoor or bumpy tracks the gulwing arms will work great.

you can never make everyone happy... but learn to feel what you want your car to do or not do and then how to tune that problem.. try one thing at a time for the change and see how it affects your car.
usually people change 10 things at a time and then don't know what to do.. if you learn what the changes do and how each feels you will start to really like your car very quickly.. because then you can go to any track and dial it in quickly.
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #2232
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

So what gearing should i be looking at for a 17.5 in this car?
xTotalghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #2233
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,995
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Finally got to try the car tonight and was really impressed. Started with pretty much the kit set up other than running pink kyosho springs. Car was pushing a bit with the battery all the way back. In the end I had the battery all the way forward and just 1mm under the inner ball stud up front. Also went to the 3mm trailing axle. Long story short, managed to TQ. I can honestly say it was all because of the car. I have always been a mid pack guy at best and tonight not only did I get the TQ but also pulled fact lap. Choked my guts out in the main (while pulling away)but still very happy with the car! By the way ended up running 66/33 with temps at 150.
__________________
"Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
TLR 22 3.5 SR, TLR 22-4 1.875, Sanwa M12S, Savox, Hobbywing, Schuurspeed, Protek
DG Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #2234
Tech Elite
 
gticlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,037
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinb86 View Post
I don't think AE made a mistake with gullwing arms at all. They simply gave another tuning option. Putting flat arms on one car and gullwing on the other makes sure people get to try it out. Some people love the edgy feel and extra turning. Some tracks it may work better for most people.

I have drove a one buddies car and couldn't believe how it had no steering. Then another buddies that had so much steering and was so twitchy I couldn't drive consistent with it. They both loved there set ups and it worked well for them. Everyone likes a certain feel or set up that's just perfect for them even though it might be un-drivable to others. That's why the newer cars get the more adjustments they add to them.
I probably should have let you drive my car. It felt very different from yours.
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 AM   #2235
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 64
Default

Hi guys, if anybody knows of a shop with a b5m kit in stock, could you message me please.
Many thanks
griff55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:08 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net