R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 10-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #20776
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Tylem28, welcome to the hobby! There is a lot to learn in this hobby and this forum is a great tool for you to learn. the 1.6 pistons that have been referred to are the pistons inside your shocks as you may know. the 1.6 pistons have 2 holes that are 1.6mm big and the 37.5 is referring to the viscosity of the shock oil. Team associated sells this oil which is recommended for your car and your kit should have came with the different pistons as well.
To change your ride height simply unscrew the collars above your springs, this will release tension on the springs thus lowering the car. You could technically move the shock location to different holes but that is going to alter the handling of the buggy.
As for your radio questions, set your steering so you get full throw (EPA-End Point Adjustment) do not set it too high where the servo makes a binding noise after the wheels turn to their maximum amount. My steering on my m12 is right at 100% Epa for one of the direction and 99% for the other direction off the top of my head but with that I am getting full steering travel, each radio, servo arm length etc can change where that needs to be set to get full steering travel. From there you can use ST D/R-steering dual rate to minimize the amount of steering to make the car have less steering if desired. Your radio may use different abbreviations for the same adjustments. I am only familiar with airtronics/sanwa. I would not mess with the expo settings for now. I personally do not touch my expo setting on my controller and if i were it would be a very small amount.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #20777
Tech Initiate

tylem, you could also try some foam tires too, almost all the guys were I run off road carpet at are running foam tires.
jl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #20778
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl34 View Post
tylem, you could also try some foam tires too, almost all the guys were I run off road carpet at are running foam tires.
Do you mean fromt tires?
czrlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #20779
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylem28 View Post
Needing some help getting a buggy to turn better on a small carpet track. Below is what I have and needing some help as to what I can do to improve turning. Thanks!

BM5
Savox TG Servo (.07) cant remember the model #
Aluminum Bellcrack
Using DX4C Controller (stock settings 100% Steering L/F, and have tried up to 150% Steering L/F, Haven't messed with Expo settings (not sure what to set at or change)
Springs (Stock) would going to a softer or harder spring help? Where would you put the compression for the spring for more steering (lower or higher on the tower? (close to the top or closer to the track/)
Battery Location help? (I am using a short pack and have it as far forward as possible)

I am running Electrons for tires front and rear. I have tried Slicks (these seem to have to much grip and makes it harder to turn in corners)

What should I change on my radio (DX4C)
Anything I can add / change on the buggy to improve steering?
I 2nd everything that these guys are saying. I'm running a B5m on carpet and I have a TON of steering! Too much in fact. I'm using Schumacher pre-mounts front (SCHU6801) and rear (SCHU6792). If you're using Proline Primes you should be saucing.
With shocks I'm using 1.6 pistons, 45 wt oil, and blue springs for the front. 1.6 pistons, 40 wt oil, and white springs for the rear. It's a little on the heavy side, but I like how my car jumps and lands with the thicker set-up.
_danimal_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #20780
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by czrlaker View Post
Do you mean fromt tires?
nope, foam tires they work really good and no traction roll
jl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #20781
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does anyone have problems with the front bulkhead screws coming lose often? I am going to replace the front bulkhead with a new one and replace the screws. I added a wide front bumper (RPM for a B4) and it fits the B5M with no issues. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? Would going to an aluminium vs a plastic front bulkhead make any difference on the screws staying in?
tylem28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 PM   #20782
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Does anyone have problems with the front bulkhead screws coming lose often? I am going to replace the front bulkhead with a new one and replace the screws. I added a wide front bumper (RPM for a B4) and it fits the B5M with no issues. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? Would going to an aluminium vs a plastic front bulkhead make any difference on the screws staying in?
The long screws don't screw into the bulkhead. It's the top plate that's stripped out.
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #20783
Tech Regular

Good catch thanks! Just to make sure I would need part #91362? Is this common? is there a better replacement option?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #20784
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Good catch thanks! Just to make sure I would need part #91362? Is this common? is there a better replacement option?
Yes that's the right part. It's not that common. Just happens after several times running the screws in and out.
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #20785
Tech Elite

if you used a 3rd party bumper that may be thicker, you might consider longer screws. Just measure the thickness differences.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #20786
Tech Regular

I replaced the top plate and upon taking off the old one the plastic was completely broken off and missing on 2 posts. I replaced and put new hardware in at the same time. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 10-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #20787
Tech Regular

Looking to replace the factory plastic bellcrank. After looking at several reviews I am a little worried at what to buy. Also it looks like some come with the steering plate / rack and some don't. Can someone please help. I am using a standard size servo (1257 TG Savox)

notes from reviews I have seen

Factory Team - bends easy and doesnt include sterring rack
JConcepts - bends easy and doesnt include sterring rack
STRC - arm rubs on servo, needing to cut / remove part of servo. Does include steering rack
Revolution Design - Positive review and works great but is a lot higher cost and doesn't include the steering rack
Old 10-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #20788
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Looking to replace the factory plastic bellcrank. After looking at several reviews I am a little worried at what to buy. Also it looks like some come with the steering plate / rack and some don't. Can someone please help. I am using a standard size servo (1257 TG Savox)

notes from reviews I have seen

Factory Team - bends easy and doesnt include sterring rack
JConcepts - bends easy and doesnt include sterring rack
STRC - arm rubs on servo, needing to cut / remove part of servo. Does include steering rack
Revolution Design - Positive review and works great but is a lot higher cost and doesn't include the steering rack
Just run the stock bell cranks. Did you break one or just looking to add some bling to the car?
Old 10-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #20789
Tech Regular

The stock one is working fine with no issues. I know when I changed my bellcrank on the B4 and Traxxas Slash to an aluminium one with better bearings it seemed like the steering was more precise / smoother. I assumed that was the case on the B5m.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:42 AM   #20790
Tech Regular

Does anyone have a recommendation / one they have used and works well? Also when doing so did you replace the servo horn or bearings? Anything else that should be replaced at the same time?