R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 09-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #20746
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to loosenut

Just recently finished building my b5m. Took it out for a run in front of my house and it ran great! The only thing I've noticed is that if I give it full throttle it'll tend to veer to the right. Not bad but enough so that I would have to think about it when I'm running it on the track. If I feather or ease into full throttle then it'll go straight. Also, when I break hard, it'll want to spin. Again, easing into my break with no problems.

What can I do to fix this? Does it have to do with my setup (tire camber)? Or should I just simply just adjust my transmitter (MT4) to dial down the throttle response (dual rate or even the exponential). I also can tweak my HW Xerun V3 ESC (punch and break control).

Just want to get folks thoughts on this before I tweak too many things. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #20747
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Id check to make sure your Diff is adjusted properly. Sounds to me like it may be a lil on the loose side.
SLOW THE F%&# DOWN so you can go fast !!!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #20748
Tech Fanatic

Awesome! I will try adjusting the diff first! Thanks for the advise.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #20749
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Id check to make sure your Diff is adjusted properly. Sounds to me like it may be a lil on the loose side.

Yup samething happen to me first time outdoors with the B5M .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #20750
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Diff rebuild

Any opinions on the mip diff rebuild kit? Or would it be better to buy separate parts from other companies?

Not sure if it needs it all but it's a car I got and don't know the history so like to be prepared when I take it apart
Tbone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #20751
Tech Prophet

Braking on 2wd especially 4 gear mid motor your better off using ABS brake or just let off a little or stay at neutral and getting on throttle exit .
Old 09-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #20752
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone17 View Post
Any opinions on the mip diff rebuild kit? Or would it be better to buy separate parts from other companies?

Not sure if it needs it all but it's a car I got and don't know the history so like to be prepared when I take it apart

It's my 2nd time using it not bad they upgraded the T-nut . They just put out a carbibe kit .

Good value and adjust tight enough they will last a decent time .
Old 09-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #20753
Tech Prophet

I have some Rear tires mounted on some (Serpent SX6 2wd buggy) wheels pretty sure 12mm hexs on that buggy the middle of it is more of a deeper dish where the locknut goes what offset it would it be fully tighten down ?

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
Old 09-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #20754
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

So I did tighten up the diff. I feel that it's pretty tight already - when i hold the rear tires and give it throttle, i hear a bit of slip and then my front end pops up about 2 inches.

So now full throttle from stop is dead straight! Thank you! But full break from from full throttle - the rear of the car still wants to kick it out left - slightly. Is this something that I just have to deal with or should I tighten the diff up even more?

Now I may just dial back the breaks a little with my controller and that may solve the problem! But I really want to tune the car so that it won't have any tendencies to swirl under hard break on high grip asphalt pavement because I would assume that on dirt the effect will be magnified. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #20755
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
So I did tighten up the diff. I feel that it's pretty tight already - when i hold the rear tires and give it throttle, i hear a bit of slip and then my front end pops up about 2 inches.

So now full throttle from stop is dead straight! Thank you! But full break from from full throttle - the rear of the car still wants to kick it out left - slightly. Is this something that I just have to deal with or should I tighten the diff up even more?

Now I may just dial back the breaks a little with my controller and that may solve the problem! But I really want to tune the car so that it won't have any tendencies to swirl under hard break on high grip asphalt pavement because I would assume that on dirt the effect will be magnified. Thanks.
dial back the brakes, tightening your diff won't help the brake issue.
Innovative Hobbies Raceway, Flyin-High RC Track
suzukipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #20756
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenut View Post

About the front wheels going up 2 inches you actually don't adjust it like a Rear motor you want the mid motor to pop up a little or one inch . I do it on the track actually adjusting the slipper and listening to the ball diff .

This is on dirt though .
Old 09-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #20757
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

stiffer front springs can help the braking issue too. The weight transfer takes weight off the rear wheels under braking. Stiffer springs can lessen that
Scott R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #20758
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukipro View Post
dial back the brakes, tightening your diff won't help the brake issue.
SLOW THE F%&# DOWN so you can go fast !!!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #20759
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quick Diff question,

Tried searching and didn't come up with any results.

just ran my car in 17.5 for the first time. First heat race car was working well, with a couple minutes left my ball diff seemed to loosen off all on its own causing it to slip and I got a dnf.

Took it all apart checked everything to make sure it was good, swapped the t nut with a new one thinking that might be the issue. Got back out for the C main and was blowing everyone away when the exact same issue happened. Diff got loose all in its own and I couldn't finish the race.

What would cause the diff to back itself off? we run on ozite carpet with slicks. I ran the same car in mod last year with zero issues with the same diff
Slammed80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #20760
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed80 View Post
Quick Diff question,

Tried searching and didn't come up with any results.

just ran my car in 17.5 for the first time. First heat race car was working well, with a couple minutes left my ball diff seemed to loosen off all on its own causing it to slip and I got a dnf.

Took it all apart checked everything to make sure it was good, swapped the t nut with a new one thinking that might be the issue. Got back out for the C main and was blowing everyone away when the exact same issue happened. Diff got loose all in its own and I couldn't finish the race.

What would cause the diff to back itself off? we run on ozite carpet with slicks. I ran the same car in mod last year with zero issues with the same diff
Maybe the thrust bearing? If it's not smooth it could be loosening the screw as the diff works
Tbone17 is offline   Reply With Quote