R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 04-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #19711
Tech Master

Seems Team AE fixed the tight ball cup deal. The cups in my kit are butter smooth and free without modification.

I have the chassis assembled now. Nothing gave me a single bit of problem. Although I will note that a shim or two should be used on the gear case were it bolts to the shock tower.

All I have left to do is shocks, electronics and paint.
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #19712
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber007 View Post
building my first kit... b5m lite ,
after hours of contemplating between kits.... lol...
28 yrs in the hobby and this is my first kit...so should be interesting..

What are some must have upgrades? during the build?
Running mod set up, clay to hard pack dirt outdoor tracks
Thanks for the input guys !
As you are running outdoors- 3 things most importantly.

First & foremost- tyres, tyres, tyres. Get a range from very wet to bars. The very wets will last you ages but are important. The short pins/bar types is most likely what you'll churn through. Check at the track for what works when dry and get lots of them.

Second , weight distribution parts. Brass c & d blocks, maybe the battery weight plates.you could also use the different types of batteries to tune weight. Personally, I just use shorties with weights when needed.

Third, stuff for your shocks. Some springs, Pistons & oils. Check at the track for what range works for most conditions.

I'll just Just add ballstud washers, pinions & Spurs (personally I like the avid triad slipper, Schelle nova looks nice too) and make sure you have ride height & camber gauges.

Wow not cheap for the basics huh. For me I'd get some wing buttons too. Rather then use body clips. No biggie though.

If you must have a part upgrade, I'd go the alloy rear hubs first. Factory team AE or Schelle, both good.

You can tune for all conditions then.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #19713
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18engineguy View Post
Is there a list anywhere of what parts are needed to do it three gear conversion from a 4?
Top shaft is different.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 AM   #19714
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsims View Post
Top shaft is different.
Only if you have the original b5m kit. The lite, CE, t5,sc5 all have the newer topshaft
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 AM   #19715
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
Only if you have the original b5m kit. The lite, CE, t5,sc5 all have the newer topshaft
You are indeed correct, only the older B5 and B5M kits have the V1 gearbox, the V2 gearbox was a running change to get rid of the smaller top shaft bearing. The V2 gearboxes are on all the newer kits right away.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #19716
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfbaap View Post
Has anyone else purchased an Aluminum Bellcrank Set for there b5m or even t5m? Ive got the associated version and had to trim the servo case and chassis with a hobby knife to have enough clearance for the servo horn and ballstud. Im running a low pro savox and still had to trim. Now ive seen 3 other brands,jconcepts,rdrp,strc and every review is saying that they all bend and dont fit proper. Does anyone have any feedback??
I run the updated jconcepts bellcrank in my T5, associated aluminum bell cranks in my SC5M both with Reedy servos no trimming or grinding of any needed, 3 B5ms 2 with savox servos 1 with a K.O. servo, all 3 associated aluminum bell cranks no trimming of any kind or clearence issues. I have seen where the strc bell cranks cause clearence issues though.
Flip boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #19717
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

How many people are running the vtr/evo/61mm wheels and tires? I was told that Proline is discontinuing the VTR tires, due to low sales.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #19718
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
How many people are running the vtr/evo/61mm wheels and tires? I was told that Proline is discontinuing the VTR tires, due to low sales.
I am running the 61mm with JCONCEPTS tires.
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #19719
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Johnson View Post
As am I, but we run slicks on high bite. What are the dirt web style tracks doing?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #19720
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'm running VTR/61mm/EVO tires in stock and am also bummed that Proline is discontinuing the VTR line.

I've been following the JConcepts thread and it sounds like they invested heavily in their 61mm molds (I think their last 6 or so new tires were 61mm) and now people are demanding 2.2s. AKA's last 2 1/10th buggy tires have been the 2.2 chain link and cross link.

Can't believe old 2.2's may be the new kool-aide.
OriginalDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #19721
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Johnson View Post
As am I, but we run slicks on high bite. What are the dirt web style tracks doing? It looks like Jason Snyders new tires are 2.2 as well.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #19722
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
If you do try the 61mm, I definitely do not recommend the JConcepts wheels. The rears are fine but the fronts have a very shallow hex which is an extremely tight fit on the front axles. I was unable to get them to seat without tightening the axle nut to "press" them on while dragging plastic shavings into the hex and affecting the alignment of the wheel. And it's very easy to get them slightly wrong and mess up the plastic hex. I got so frustrated with them that I threw 2 sets of front wheels in the trash last week. Was able to salvage one pair of Dirt Web tires from them, but lost a new pair of Electrons trying to remove them.

Oddly the JC 2.2 front wheels are perfectly fine.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #19723
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I prefer the size and shape of the evo tires, but companies need to make the gluing surface thicker/stronger.
AZJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #19724
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
If you do try the 61mm, I definitely do not recommend the JConcepts wheels. The rears are fine but the fronts have a very shallow hex which is an extremely tight fit on the front axles. I was unable to get them to seat without tightening the axle nut to "press" them on while dragging plastic shavings into the hex and affecting the alignment of the wheel. And it's very easy to get them slightly wrong and mess up the plastic hex. I got so frustrated with them that I threw 2 sets of front wheels in the trash last week. Was able to salvage one pair of Dirt Web tires from them, but lost a new pair of Electrons trying to remove them.

Oddly the JC 2.2 front wheels are perfectly fine.
I dont care for the JC wheels. I run the AKA evo wheels mostly. They are more durable and have better hex engagement in the front.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #19725
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJP View Post
I prefer the size and shape of the evo tires, but companies need to make the gluing surface thicker/stronger.
Are you referring to the tire ripping? If you glue the inserts to the wheel, this reduces the issue.