R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 04-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #19651
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I will say out of ignorance Ive done a lot of things wrong when I started the class... Ive had to buy a lot of things twice because I didn't know what I was doing. Growing pains.

If I had it to do over again. b5m lite, hobbywing justock, reedy motor, same batteries and servo I have. Done.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #19652
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had to add 14 grams to make the car legal. In all fairness, I had to add the weight after I installed MIP pucks. I have been on the same diff all Winter in my stock buggy. Same body and wing also lol. 17.5 does not blow out your sidewalls either. It's way easier on equipment. You can get away with C tires where as in mod you HAVE to have a A+ tire set up. So you need a bigger tire selection. Oh well enough of that banter, because I race stock and mod and it's all too much money lol!
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #19653
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
I will say out of ignorance Ive done a lot of things wrong when I started the class... Ive had to buy a lot of things twice because I didn't know what I was doing. Growing pains.

If I had it to do over again. b5m lite, hobbywing justock, reedy motor, same batteries and servo I have. Done.
Right On! That esc is super light!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #19654
Tech Regular

Quote:
Seems like mod would be easier on the wallet than stock... throw whatever motor in a stock car with basically whatever esc and be done. Stock it seems like you have to mod every little thing on the car to get an edge because everyone else is due to the slower turn motor. At least that's the way it seems to me.. but I don't claim to be an expert lol.
If you look at Dax's car, I bet you will find minimal light weight additions. I think he had pucks last time I saw his car. Dax (dmatter) and I would spend our weekends at his house, running battery after battery to get faster. That's how you get faster, not throwing parts at the car.

As far as a car stalling, when a car enters a corner, it scrubs speed coming in. If the car over rotates, the car will dump in the corner and stall... I watch drivers all the time complaining about not being fast because their 17.5 isn't fast. It's not the motor (mostly)!!! The cars lose momentum because they are over driven into a corner and they end up having to use too much steering to get through.... Losing momentum! It takes a ton of power to get the car back up to speed, all while the faster guys are just blowing by.
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #19655
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post
If you look at Dax's car, I bet you will find minimal light weight additions. I think he had pucks last time I saw his car. Dax (dmatter) and I would spend our weekends at his house, running battery after battery to get faster. That's how you get faster, not throwing parts at the car.

As far as a car stalling, when a car enters a corner, it scrubs speed coming in. If the car over rotates, the car will dump in the corner and stall... I watch drivers all the time complaining about not being fast because their 17.5 isn't fast. It's not the motor (mostly)!!! The cars lose momentum because they are over driven into a corner and they end up having to use too much steering to get through.... Losing momentum! It takes a ton of power to get the car back up to speed, all while the faster guys are just blowing by.

The B5M lite is a turnkey 17.5 Race Car. It needs absolutely nothing to win races.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #19656
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post

His car wasn't super light, no.. but he was lighter than I am. I love running the b5m in practice its a super fun car to drive. That's part of the plan too for sure. Guy the other night scolded me for thinking of leaving early on practice day lol.. so I unpacked my stuff, worked on my shock package some and ran a few packs and honestly felt a little better. I wish stock buggy wasn't getting ready to slow down at Sparks.. I would honestly rather run it than anything else at this point.

I'm going to drive the car this week with that in mind. I sometimes try to drive them according to the apex. Heavy brake, rotate then heavy power. Trying to make the adjustment, which I have a lot compared to when I started with the car.

Its fun to watch Dax drive one for sure! Even more watching him run a 4wd. He can really wheel a buggy.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #19657
Tech Prophet

Il be honest I've ran a whole season on tires sauced everything running mod 2wd buggy . Now the track is Meduim traction clay so that has a lot to do with it . Ran the same esc never blew up . The ball diffs yes mod is harder on them.

But I realized if you have the slipper a bit to tight that's what really eats them up . Or to tight of a diff.

So it's been quite cheap to me .

Driving with mid motor running mod is different than flat out with stock motor you kind of have. To let off a little before a turn than get on it , braking smoother gauging how much speed to hit the jumps .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #19658
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
His car wasn't super light, no.. but he was lighter than I am. I love running the b5m in practice its a super fun car to drive. That's part of the plan too for sure. Guy the other night scolded me for thinking of leaving early on practice day lol.. so I unpacked my stuff, worked on my shock package some and ran a few packs and honestly felt a little better. I wish stock buggy wasn't getting ready to slow down at Sparks.. I would honestly rather run it than anything else at this point.

I'm going to drive the car this week with that in mind. I sometimes try to drive them according to the apex. Heavy brake, rotate then heavy power. Trying to make the adjustment, which I have a lot compared to when I started with the car.

Its fun to watch Dax drive one for sure! Even more watching him run a 4wd. He can really wheel a buggy.

Thanks for the compliment, I really enjoy helping and watching you guys get faster! Your ready to pick the next faster guy and start catching him.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #19659
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatter View Post
Thanks for the compliment, I really enjoy helping and watching you guys get faster! Your ready to pick the next faster guy and start catching him.
Hey man, didn't realize that was you lol.

I hope so man.. I got this car thinking it would be something I could just do to mess around but I've come to love the stock class. Close close racing!

RC10 B5M CE
Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #19660
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustneyes View Post
I want to try a new slipper in my B5M. My stock slipper needs new pads. Instead of getting new pads, I would like to upgrade. The schelle and avid slippers look very similar. What's the difference? Does anyone like one over the other?
The Nova sets now come with the updated Nova Centric Drive Plates, they are vented, and use a new black hard anodize.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #19661
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustneyes View Post
I want to try a new slipper in my B5M. My stock slipper needs new pads. Instead of getting new pads, I would like to upgrade. The schelle and avid slippers look very similar. What's the difference? Does anyone like one over the other?
The Schelle set now comes with the newest Centric Vented drive plates, and it uses our special blend gray material for the spurs. You also get a re-usable snap case. We make the spur gears and sell parts for the Triad, the 2 offerings are the 2nd generation to my original design released under the Avid brand in 2012.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #19662
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Speaking of slippers, in 17.5 stock racing on high bite clay, how are you setting it? I've made mine almost a locker at this point. Trying to figure out of I should loosen it a bit. I'm going to play with it when I go to the track next (start with kit setup, a few inch wheelie). But I want to see what others are experiencing.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #19663
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNyholm View Post
Speaking of slippers, in 17.5 stock racing on high bite clay, how are you setting it? I've made mine almost a locker at this point. Trying to figure out of I should loosen it a bit. I'm going to play with it when I go to the track next (start with kit setup, a few inch wheelie). But I want to see what others are experiencing.
I prefer mine set to 2 inch lift. It really depends though. I tried the Direct Drive and it was snappy for sure. But it was abusing my diff and pucks. I prefer a slipper to save my drive terrain and make the car easier to drive. But some guys like them loose and other like them tight.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #19664
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I prefer mine set to 2 inch lift. It really depends though. I tried the Direct Drive and it was snappy for sure. But it was abusing my diff and pucks. I prefer a slipper to save my drive terrain and make the car easier to drive. But some guys like them loose and other like them tight.
LOL...last sentence made me snicker.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #19665
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuck69 View Post
LOL...last sentence made me snicker.
normally I put stuff like that in on purpose, for giggles....but this was not planned