R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 04-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #19636
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post
I make the A main in 17.5 buggy at Sparks anytime I come in from Kansas. I have a B5M CE with an aluminum front bulkhead, stock gearbox, and steel diff and out drives... I can't understand why the car needs to be so much lighter. Corner speed is the key. If a mid motor car over rotates and stalls, all momentum is lost.
I don't know what else to do other than to keep driving and trying to get better with it. Its just something I'm trying.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #19637
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post
I make the A main in 17.5 buggy at Sparks anytime I come in from Kansas. I have a B5M CE with an aluminum front bulkhead, stock gearbox, and steel diff and out drives... I can't understand why the car needs to be so much lighter. Corner speed is the key. If a mid motor car over rotates and stalls, all momentum is lost.
Several of the faster guys I know like the stock out drives over pucks for the corner weight and speed.
Even though my car is at 1510 now I'm not sure that does much except jump better. I need to keep trying.

Could explain what you mean by stalling in a corner?
Finalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #19638
Tech Prophet

Yea what do you mean when a Mid motor stalls from over rotating ?

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #19639

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

They weren't meant to point and shoot. You don't necessarily want to fling it into a corner, let he rear end rotate, and get back onto the throttle in a straight line. With a 17.5 the car will be faster carrying your corner speed and sweeping across the apex instead. That is what the mid motor platform does so much better than the rear motor and that's also why the driving technique is different.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #19640
Tech Regular

That depends on the surface and the layout.
AZJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #19641
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Yeah I'd sure like to see a stock class winner who consistently spins out in every corner. Pretty much every stock buggy winner I know can roll through corners maintaining speed.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #19642
Tech Adept

Its definitely an adjustment if you came from 8th scale. They require a lot more finesse.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 04-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #19643
Tech Regular

Of course there's some speed, but on a track with a lot of 180s, point in shoot out is often faster than trying to drive like a touring car. You also have to protect the inside and going wide to hit an apex could leave you stuffed in a pipe coming out of the corner.
AZJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #19644
Tech Prophet

I don't exactly point and shoot no even though i started out with Rear motor 2wd . Pretty much i stay netural on throttle.

Than get on throttle out or tap the brake before a turn roll come out harder exit. As you know i race mod you cant go crazy on power in or out of a turn smooth and slower is the key .

Everyone drives them different if the Rear end rotates fast enough you can do a little point and shoot driving.

Oh yes im more used to driving 1/8 scale E-Buggy driving the 2wd buggy mid motor feels like a WTH ! Still learning .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #19645
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like to keep my Mid Motor cars moving, I find when they stall in the turn it can be difficult especially in slippery conditions to get the cars to hook up and go again. I have raced alot of 17.5 in the past 2 years because it's easier on my wallet then modified. I think 17.5 racing is won maintaining as much speed as possible in the turns. I definitely like rounding off the turns rather then slinging the car in there.
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #19646
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatter View Post
I like to keep my Mid Motor cars moving, I find when they stall in the turn it can be difficult especially in slippery conditions to get the cars to hook up and go again. I have raced alot of 17.5 in the past 2 years because it's easier on my wallet then modified. I think 17.5 racing is won maintaining as much speed as possible in the turns. I definitely like rounding off the turns rather then slinging the car in there.
Seems like mod would be easier on the wallet than stock... throw whatever motor in a stock car with basically whatever esc and be done. Stock it seems like you have to mod every little thing on the car to get an edge because everyone else is due to the slower turn motor. At least that's the way it seems to me.. but I don't claim to be an expert lol.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 04-14-2016, 07:12 AM   #19647
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
Seems like mod would be easier on the wallet than stock... throw whatever motor in a stock car with basically whatever esc and be done. Stock it seems like you have to mod every little thing on the car to get an edge because everyone else is due to the slower turn motor. At least that's the way it seems to me.. but I don't claim to be an expert lol.

Agreed. Cheaper to buy a lower turn motor vs Pucks, cut gears, slipper eliminator, TI screws, lighter battery etc...

I bought everything except the TI screws. My B5M FL comes in at 1446 with the Protek 2800 100C battery with an extra 35grams added to the battery. With a 4000 60C it comes in at 1527.
B6D|510R|7.5 Reedy
soniccj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #19648
Tech Fanatic

Not even remotely close.
Diffs last forever
Outdrives last forever
Axles last forever
Wings last forever
Tires last wayyyyy longer
The cars never break
Honestly the racing is night and day cleaner in stock also.
Modified cars fry Diffs, Outdrives etc. The cars crash more violently and tear up more stuff. They wear out tires every other week.

A good motor cost 50 extra bucks. We use the same batteries in stock as in mod. The cars, diffs and tires hold up way better in 17.5.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #19649
Tech Fanatic

I had to add 14 grams to my B5M Lite by the way.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #19650
Tech Adept

Quote:
Not even remotely close.
Diffs last forever
Outdrives last forever
Axles last forever
Wings last forever
Tires last wayyyyy longer
The cars never break
Honestly the racing is night and day cleaner in stock also.
Modified cars fry Diffs, Outdrives etc. The cars crash more violently and tear up more stuff. They wear out tires every other week.

A good motor cost 50 extra bucks. We use the same batteries in stock as in mod. The cars, diffs and tires hold up way better in 17.5.
Well I didn't spend much time in mod so I don't know for sure but Id still say maintaining a car is cheaper than upgrading for stock. Nothing lasts forever in stock either. I could see some difference in tire wear and I could see breaking less as well though. Id say most are going to disagree with you. Its all expensive really lol.

Quote:
I had to add 14 grams to my B5M Lite by the way.
For mod though correct? I couldn't see adding weight for stock, unless the track was loose.

RC10 B5M CE