R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 04-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #19396
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2much19 View Post
Nice! I would cut the nubs off the wing mount and screw the wing into the mount. You will need either wing buttons or small washers. Also make sure you have the set screws in the bottoms of the hubs and front bulkhead if aluminum to remove any slop.
I have been wanting to do this forever... I was going to do the JC wing mount and get screws and buttons then so I have been putting it off. Of course that mount is never in stock anywhere when I order.

So to do it with the stock mount, it just takes wing buttons and screws? What size screw?

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #19397
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
I have been wanting to do this forever... I was going to do the JC wing mount and get screws and buttons then so I have been putting it off. Of course that mount is never in stock anywhere when I order.

So to do it with the stock mount, it just takes wing buttons and screws? What size screw?
Yes it just takes wing buttons and screws. I purchased a set from Shapeways when I also ordered my LCG trans but it's cake to do to the stock setup. I've done it on all my other buggies.

M3 flat head screw, the one that is angled on the underside of the head, probably only about 4/5mm long. I don't have it in front of me to measure exactly but you'll know which one to use so that it doesn't punch out the bottom of the mount.

Cut off the nub with either a dremel or hobby knife.

Mark the center with a body reamer or punch.

Best would be to use a drill bit. Lowes sells small Dewalt bits in SAE but on the top right side of the package it also says the metric number. I think the closest you can get is 2.4mm or 2.8mm, I would go small (2.4) since its plastic and the screw will thread itself.

I would thread the screw in first to get it going before final mount. Backing out, slap the wing in there, the wing buttons and screw it on.

Probably sounds like a lot more work than it really is. Takes longer to write this than it is to do it.
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #19398
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Rich View Post
Keep the blue cap that comes with the bottle.
the ones that come with the kit dont have the blue cap.
caffeine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #19399
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes it just takes wing buttons and screws. I purchased a set from Shapeways when I also ordered my LCG trans but it's cake to do to the stock setup. I've done it on all my other buggies.

M3 flat head screw, the one that is angled on the underside of the head, probably only about 4/5mm long. I don't have it in front of me to measure exactly but you'll know which one to use so that it doesn't punch out the bottom of the mount.

Best would be to use a drill bit. Lowes sells small Dewalt bits in SAE but on the top right side of the package it also says the metric number. I think the closest you can get is 2.4mm or 2.8mm, I would go small (2.4) since its plastic and the screw will thread itself.

I would thread the screw in first to get it going before final mount. Backing out, slap the wing in there, the wing buttons and screw it on.

Probably sounds like a lot more work than it really is. Takes longer to write this than it is to do it.
Im going to order some wing buttons and try this
caffeine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #19400
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeine357 View Post
every single bottle of AE shock oil no matter how much i seal it leaks the oil out eventually and the bottle is covered when i pick it up. does this seep through the plastic eventually? I cant seem to figure it out anyone have any suggestions?
Like others have mentioned, keep the blue insert if available and store upright.

I use a small cardboard box that I cut in half and is about 6" x 4" x 2" to keep all my different bottles in. You can pack paper towels or other goodies in with the bottles if you don't have enough bottles to fill it up.
dividedbymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #19401
Tech Adept

Quote:

No.. not at all. I'm all over that as soon as I can find some buttons! That post should be a dang sticky lol. I'm glad to have the drill bit sizes and all that way I have some idea of what the heck I'm doing! No need for that stupid JC mount now.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #19402
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
No.. not at all. I'm all over that as soon as I can find some buttons! That post should be a dang sticky lol. I'm glad to have the drill bit sizes and all that way I have some idea of what the heck I'm doing! No need for that stupid JC mount now.
The jc mount is aluminum. Unsure I would want it that stiff. Seems like wings would get destroyed quicker. Of course never crashing would fix that
Old 04-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #19403
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Your search is over they come in assorted colors as well...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...00-blk/p366623
Silverstonev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #19404
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
The jc mount is aluminum. Unsure I would want it that stiff. Seems like wings would get destroyed quicker. Of course never crashing would fix that
I finally got to do mine tonight along with the JC low wing mount up front.
The drill bit needed is a 3/32nd and I used associated 3x10mm FHCS but I didn't cut the nubs flush with the wing mount. I cut them flush with the wing shim installed...
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-image.jpg  
Old 04-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #19405
Tech Regular

Mounted...
Attached Thumbnails
Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #19406
Tech Regular

With JC lower front wing 0157 and shapeways mount...
Attached Thumbnails
Old 04-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #19407
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

With the wing mounted with screws and buttons, do you guys find wings last longer?
mick33b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #19408
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick33b4 View Post
With the wing mounted with screws and buttons, do you guys find wings last longer?
On my b44.3 the wing took some abuse... That's an understatement.
My brothers was mounted with clips and didn't last near as long before falling apart. Not sure if it was the mount or the type of impacts.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #19409
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedbymind View Post
Like others have mentioned, keep the blue insert if available and store upright.

I use a small cardboard box that I cut in half and is about 6" x 4" x 2" to keep all my different bottles in. You can pack paper towels or other goodies in with the bottles if you don't have enough bottles to fill it up.
Pick up a Flambeau 0550 spinnerbait box. They're the perfect size for shock oil and tire sauce bottles.

Pro-Line RacingHobbywingMIPBOOMrcFutabaPT RC Racing Oils
CCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #19410
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick33b4 View Post
Depends. I ran the Exotek aluminum wing mount and it was so stiff that I was going through wings at a very fast rate. I prefer plastic. Even with the plastic mount I was going through wings faster when I used the wing buttons. If you're worried about wings the stock set up is best. If you want your wing stiff and in place, use buttons.