R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 03-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #19141
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

On the non blinky stock class.... that sounds like cheating lol. If its a stock class that generally means spec motor and stock esc from what I've gathered. So if you run timing on your esc because other guys run high $ motors, that's cheating. They spent the $ to go fast within the rules and you didn't.

As far as trackstar products go. I've ran their stuff as well as the turnigy brand from hobbyking in several cars now and haven't had one problem. Electronics are funny... one guy could have great luck while others have lousy.

I'm running the trackstar turbo esc with the matching 17.5 motor currently, but I'm going to be running an F-1 this weekend for the first time so I'm excited to see how it does.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #19142
Tech Adept

A tip on the trackstar stuff... search ebay for those part numbers. Its usually a couple bucks more but shipping and availability is often a lot better. If you have to get something from the international warehouse or even the west warehouse (im in ohio) better not be in a hurry lol... my last order got delivered by Mr Miyagi himself on a bicycle.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 03-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #19143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeine357 View Post
What do you guys run for dirt tires in the medium compound. Im tearing through impacts at my local track because they are soft compound but medium seems to be always sold out or discontinued on tower / amain.

Do you guys have any suggestions for more durable dirt tires so im not tearing through them during practice? Id like to keep the softs and super softs for practice and ideally have something that will last longer for practice.
This is an interesting issue as we run Proline X2 compound on our rough bluegroove track and it seems like Proline has dicontinued the X2 1/10 buggy tires. The other options are red and orange JConcepts tires but they don't make a lot of tires in red and it needs to be hot for orange to really work. All I can say to the tire manufacturers is WTF?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #19144
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
And I Larrys which is the weird rubber track is stock only but non blinkly all the others stock class is blinky.

I'm wondering what u guys think about stock 17.5t non blinkly since basically these kill shots and the 24k whatever "stock" motors are so much faster than my reedy sonic Mach 3 and Mach 2 I think being able to use timing can even the playing field if they're not gonna monitor or outlaw motors like that(I think one of the super fast motor is called outlaw actually lol) why not?
It's still 17.5t vs 5-7.5t mod which is HUGE difference obviously
If your track runs 17.5 non-blinky, then why wouldn't you run dynamic timing in your ESC? (it's hard to tell, because I don't really understand your first sentence) You will be at a distinct disadvantage if you don't, especially if the track is a larger track. On a really small track, it might not provide much of an advantage at all, especially if you're a newer driver.

But FYI, Killshots and 24ks are not outlaw motors (outlaw motors are non-roar speced 17.5s)
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #19145
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
This is an interesting issue as we run Proline X2 compound on our rough bluegroove track and it seems like Proline has dicontinued the X2 1/10 buggy tires. The other options are red and orange JConcepts tires but they don't make a lot of tires in red and it needs to be hot for orange to really work. All I can say to the tire manufacturers is WTF?
I have been running the Red Barcodes at Camarillo where some of the PL guys are using X2 Electrons and they have been great.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #19146
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
If your track runs 17.5 non-blinky, then why wouldn't you run dynamic timing in your ESC? (it's hard to tell, because I don't really understand your first sentence) You will be at a distinct disadvantage if you don't, especially if the track is a larger track. On a really small track, it might not provide much of an advantage at all, especially if you're a newer driver.

But FYI, Killshots and 24ks are not outlaw motors (outlaw motors are non-roar speced 17.5s)
Right... sounded to me like its a traditional stock/ blinky class but he cranked the timing to compete with guys that have more motor lol.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #19147
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
I'm wondering what u guys think about stock 17.5t non blinkly since basically these kill shots and the 24k whatever "stock" motors are so much faster than my reedy sonic Mach 3 and Mach 2 I think being able to use timing can even the playing field if they're not gonna monitor or outlaw motors like that(I think one of the super fast motor is called outlaw actually lol) why not?
It's still 17.5t vs 5-7.5t mod which is HUGE difference obviously
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The Mach 3 is on par with everything else. A lot of people use the Killshot because you can buy a big blue version with heavier wire that is not ROAR legal. People out here have been cheating at races with those for a while. Hobbywing makes an "outlaw" motor that is crazy fast and its called the Bandit. A Bandit 17.5 is like a good 13.5.

Honestly, I think the issue is the other guys are faster and you need to look a little deeper within yourself to admit that you need to practice more. Unless your track is an oval a hotter 17.5 isn't going to make the average racer so much faster that its really a factor between winning and not winning. Making less mistakes, having clean lines, and keeping your buggy off its lid go a long way.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #19148
Tech Regular

Quote:
They run out of stuff so often that if you run trackstar the rule is to buy 2 of them when you do
I couldn't agree more but in this part of MI Larrys and clubhouse are the "hot spots" so to speak
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #19149
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

^^^

what does that have to do with the post you quoted

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #19150
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post

I meant And at* Larrys they don't check for anything they trust they we are adults I guess bur what I mean by non blinky is all u need is a 17.5 motor no matter if it's approved or not and most people there run 'outlaw' or whatever motors that are made to specifically faster and don't care about being roar approved is what I mean. And I am not salty because I have been in the a main every week I race for the last 2 years and there's about 50 people in this class just for a regular race day. Trust me I have plenty of hours and hours of practice. I wasn't trying to whine because I run timing as well bc it actually says on the sign up sheet 2wd 17.5 non-blinky I just won't stoop to non approved motors because the other 2 tracks I race at don't allow that garbage and stock is blinky like it should be
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #19151
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
If you just want to burn laps and get track time, pick a similar tread in a harder compound, it really doesn't which one as long as it's close. But to truly "practice", you need to be on the same tire that you race on. Including any saucing you may do.
Yeah i guess thats what im asking, i cant find ANYTHING in medium compound 10th scale on amain or tower hobbies. all the impacts, gridirions and holeshots are either sold out or discontinued. Do you guys have any links to other options.
caffeine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #19152
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah i guess thats what im asking, i cant find ANYTHING in medium compound 10th scale on amain or tower hobbies. all the impacts, gridirions and holeshots are either sold out or discontinued. Do you guys have any links to other options.
Yeah after doing another search on amain i cant even find M2 (medium compound) holeshots availoable anywhere. im beginning to think they dont make anything else but softs anymore
caffeine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #19153
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah after doing another search on amain i cant even find M2 (medium compound) holeshots availoable anywhere. im beginning to think they dont make anything else but softs anymore
Have you checked stormer hobbies? Their website is terrible (hasn't changed since I raced touring car 10 years ago), but it was always my go to shop.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #19154
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Have the same problem. What about Panther tires for off road? seem to have some online.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #19155
Tech Fanatic

Really the cure for tire compound is to find one that won't cake on you. A lot of rc ers choose them from track name. I believe the front tire is most critical
Dialed-RC Hobbies
TEN-SCTE 3.0/22SCT 3.0
Keith B is offline   Reply With Quote