R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #19096
Tech Adept
 
JC8390's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
Well unless it's just 17.5 stock but allows timing and boost so it doesn't have to be blinky 17.5 at my local track where I race
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2much19 View Post
You need to find out what the rules are for stock class at your lhs. Majority that I've seen are blinky class. Some people like the throttle snap/feel other esc's may give but it comes to your preference. You will get more out of a good 17.5 motor.

How's the buggy been running and racing?

From my understanding its a blinky class as in timing from the ESC is not allowed. Although its club racing and nobody is checking, plus I've snooped a little and a lot of ESCs don't blink lol.

There was an evening where the mod buggies were thrown into the stock class because there wasn't enough mod to make a class..so in that race I added some turbo timing. I could tell it was there, but wasn't a game changer. I end up taking it out before the race was over as it made me feel inconsistent. It would probably benefit If I spent some time learning it but I wont run it when its only stock guys.

Considering my experience in racing and especially this class/ car I am happy with the car. I'm just looking for anything to get faster, because I'm not winning lol.
__________________
8ight E 4.0
Orion| Hobby Wing| Savox| Turnigy| AKA

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #19097
Moderator
 
bds81175's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Litchfield, Minnesota
Posts: 2,744
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

You have probably noticed the key to stock buggy racing....you CANNOT crash. Period.
__________________
Current Racers: AE B6D, Tekno SCT410, Tekno EB48.3
Full Throttle R/C Raceway www.ftrcr.com, Psycho Dog Racing Team, Team Holy Rollers - Greatest RC race team on the planet. Well, at least the team with the best sponsor.
Tekno RC
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #19098
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 210
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
From my understanding its a blinky class as in timing from the ESC is not allowed. Although its club racing and nobody is checking, plus I've snooped a little and a lot of ESCs don't blink lol.

There was an evening where the mod buggies were thrown into the stock class because there wasn't enough mod to make a class..so in that race I added some turbo timing. I could tell it was there, but wasn't a game changer. I end up taking it out before the race was over as it made me feel inconsistent. It would probably benefit If I spent some time learning it but I wont run it when its only stock guys.

Considering my experience in racing and especially this class/ car I am happy with the car. I'm just looking for anything to get faster, because I'm not winning lol.

I am no pro, trust me as I am far from it but to get faster you need to get the right lines and know your car in and out. Then the best thing to do is start with lightening up the drivetrain and other items which will gain you some time. Maybe a better motor, gearing, etc. The best thing to do is see what some of the other guys are running and the success they are having at your track. What works at my track may very well slow you down at yours. I like when shops change up their tracks, you keep learning and progressing I feel as you tackle new objectives and tracks. Some tracks focus more on jumps, turns, straights, grip, etc.
__________________
B5M CF, Orion R10, Fantom 17.5t FR1 Works Edition w/ M Stator & 12.5 Pro Select Rotor
DEX410V4, LRP SXX V2, Savox 6.5t
B4.1
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #19099
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 210
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
You have probably noticed the key to stock buggy racing....you CANNOT crash. Period.
True, you have to be on point. I am still trying to master that!
__________________
B5M CF, Orion R10, Fantom 17.5t FR1 Works Edition w/ M Stator & 12.5 Pro Select Rotor
DEX410V4, LRP SXX V2, Savox 6.5t
B4.1
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:16 PM   #19100
Tech Regular
 
Volition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 368
Default

Agreed, the fast guys don't crash. I'm slowly but surely improving with that.

I'm happy with the car, it's light. Especially where it counts in the drivetrain. I'm confident with my equipment. I've worked hard on it and I keep my cars well maintained.

However when I compare my fastest 5 laps I'm still half a second behind. Are the top guys still going into corners full speed, applying brakes turn-in, accelerating out. Or from what I suspect they are seem to be lifting off, rather than braking. I noticed that I'm much faster into corners and yes they have faster corner speed especially through the technical sections. I tend to rollover when I'm looking for more corner speed.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:15 AM   #19101
Tech Elite
 
ray_munday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,617
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volition View Post
Agreed, the fast guys don't crash. I'm slowly but surely improving with that.

I'm happy with the car, it's light. Especially where it counts in the drivetrain. I'm confident with my equipment. I've worked hard on it and I keep my cars well maintained.

However when I compare my fastest 5 laps I'm still half a second behind. Are the top guys still going into corners full speed, applying brakes turn-in, accelerating out. Or from what I suspect they are seem to be lifting off, rather than braking. I noticed that I'm much faster into corners and yes they have faster corner speed especially through the technical sections. I tend to rollover when I'm looking for more corner speed.
Hi Ben,

you are doing remarkably well for your limited time so far in the sport. But the last few tenths are always the hardest.

One thing I think is really important with 17.5 is to use as little lock as possible and wash off as little speed as possible in corners. With open you can sacrifice a bit of mid corner speed by being aggressive on turn in, then slightly lower corner speed to get a tighter exit and get back on the power early. With 17,5 you want to use as little lock as possible, keep the car relaitively straight (especially in the faster sections) and make as few steering corrections as possible.

You mention you are coming in with a higher entry speed - this may be a clue that you are coming in a little hot and whilst you are making the corner, you are having to sacrifice some mid corner grip as you are still washing off speed.

Let me know when you are at the track next and Ill watch a few laps and let you know what I see.

Ray
__________________
Team Associated Factory Driver: B6/B6D, B64D, SC5M
JConcepts Factory Driver: Tyres, Rims, Wings, Bodies & Accessories
Reedy Factory Driver: Blackbox 510R ESC, Sonic 3 BL motors, Lipo
KO Propo EX-1 KIY_____www.keilorrc.com.au
Check out my help thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/10587838-post1.html
ray_munday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:16 AM   #19102
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,446
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I'm having an issue with breaking the 25* bulkhead or kickup plate. I've broken 3 on the same left hand side and same exact break lines.
2 of them broke as it barely rolled into a tube and 1 broke from my own fault and hard crash. Yes I know don't crash, but what I don't get is there there are a couple guys at the track doing crazy stuff with there and never seen them break anything. I've seen them back flip off jumps and crash, kart wheel into the wall and even hit tubes as well and never once seen them break.

The hinge pins look good and when I roll them across my counter they roll smooth, no wobbles to them. I'm gonna try ordering new pins and see if that will help.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:41 AM   #19103
Tech Regular
 
DennisNyholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 442
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
I'm having an issue with breaking the 25* bulkhead or kickup plate. I've broken 3 on the same left hand side and same exact break lines.
2 of them broke as it barely rolled into a tube and 1 broke from my own fault and hard crash. Yes I know don't crash, but what I don't get is there there are a couple guys at the track doing crazy stuff with there and never seen them break anything. I've seen them back flip off jumps and crash, kart wheel into the wall and even hit tubes as well and never once seen them break.

The hinge pins look good and when I roll them across my counter they roll smooth, no wobbles to them. I'm gonna try ordering new pins and see if that will help.
That was the first thing I broke on my car. Got an ae aluminum one and haven't had a problem since.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #19104
Tech Adept
 
JC8390's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
I'm having an issue with breaking the 25* bulkhead or kickup plate. I've broken 3 on the same left hand side and same exact break lines.
2 of them broke as it barely rolled into a tube and 1 broke from my own fault and hard crash. Yes I know don't crash, but what I don't get is there there are a couple guys at the track doing crazy stuff with there and never seen them break anything. I've seen them back flip off jumps and crash, kart wheel into the wall and even hit tubes as well and never once seen them break.

The hinge pins look good and when I roll them across my counter they roll smooth, no wobbles to them. I'm gonna try ordering new pins and see if that will help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNyholm View Post
That was the first thing I broke on my car. Got an ae aluminum one and haven't had a problem since.
Yep same here.. open practice on a small track has not been nice to my car. I went to the aluminum bulkhead after two breaks. Gotta learn to not crash these baby buggies or carry parts with ya lol.
__________________
8ight E 4.0
Orion| Hobby Wing| Savox| Turnigy| AKA

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #19105
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 254
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

What is your guys go to prime tire? Ive had proline primes before and now im thinking of trying jconcept smoothies
caffeine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #19106
Tech Regular
 
DennisNyholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 442
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeine357 View Post
What is your guys go to prime tire? Ive had proline primes before and now im thinking of trying jconcept smoothies
I can only compare them to sweeps, and for my track they are much better. Better grip coming out of the corners, and I can hold a tighter line with greater corner speed. I know a few people run smoothies at my track and are competitive, but for me I'm all for primes.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #19107
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salem
Posts: 999
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I know the b5m isn't a "New Car" anymore but..... I recently purchased a FL, and built it this weekend, and I must say, I am pretty impressed. I haven't had an RC for a few years now and my last one was a b4.2. The quality and finish is 10X better. Cant wait to hit the track.
__________________
T.O.P Racing USA

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #19108
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: so cal
Posts: 172
Default

at outback raceway the panthers have the most grip followed by primes then the smoothies all in clay compound... not sure about the sweep or aka slicks how they compare
2dialed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #19109
Tech Adept
 
JC8390's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 236
Default

Seems like everyone in Ohio is running dirt webs or bar flys in clay for indoor tracks.
__________________
8ight E 4.0
Orion| Hobby Wing| Savox| Turnigy| AKA

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #19110
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 132
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
Seems like everyone in Ohio is running dirt webs or bar flys in clay for indoor tracks.
Actually everyone at Sparks is running slicks (Primes) on the new layout. Unless it changed from last week.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:58 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net