R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #19081
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
You want a good "Bang for the buck" option: The Trackstar Turbo 120a ESC for $43!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=69418
That's what Im running... ive often wondered if there is a better option for stock? If you get a dedicated stock ESC what do you get other than loosing the ability to run mod with it if you choose?

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #19082
Tech Regular

Well unless it's just 17.5 stock but allows timing and boost so it doesn't have to be blinky 17.5 at my local track where I race
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #19083
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
That's what Im running... ive often wondered if there is a better option for stock? If you get a dedicated stock ESC what do you get other than loosing the ability to run mod with it if you choose?
You need to find out what the rules are for stock class at your lhs. Majority that I've seen are blinky class. Some people like the throttle snap/feel other esc's may give but it comes to your preference. You will get more out of a good 17.5 motor.

How's the buggy been running and racing?
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #19084
Tech Adept

Just bought a B5M Lite used but never used.

Did the build come with any extra's other than what goes directly on the vehicle during build?
For example:
were both rear hub links A & B included?
were both anti-squat inserts C&D included?
were both rear arm mounts c&d included?
spring cups - 0/5/9?
anything else ????

All I got what was the buggy itself- nothing else.

Thanks
My first Team Associated RC

Last edited by braderb; 03-19-2016 at 09:00 PM.
braderb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #19085
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
ASC31327 is the part number but those probably wont ever need replaced unless they just wear out or break... Probably why they're not in the kit.
I also found one of my rear shocks was completely out of oil but didn't come out from the top shock cap breing loose or something. So all that type of stuff has been ruled out by a ex sponsored racer but was in a rush so he didn't tell me how to fix it or if I have to rebuild it(which I have never done myself before, my buddy who moved 500 miles away recently built my whole kit for me.

So I am wondering what I need to do next and if it's rebuild the shocks is there a good write up or video someone can send me a link to please!
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #19086
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
I also found one of my rear shocks was completely out of oil but didn't come out from the top shock cap breing loose or something. So all that type of stuff has been ruled out by a ex sponsored racer but was in a rush so he didn't tell me how to fix it or if I have to rebuild it(which I have never done myself before, my buddy who moved 500 miles away recently built my whole kit for me.

So I am wondering what I need to do next and if it's rebuild the shocks is there a good write up or video someone can send me a link to please!
Here is the rebuild kit, but you might be able to get by with just replacing the red o-rings. http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...c91491/p275241

Do you have the manual for your car? It explains the process well. There are also several videos on YouTube if you search for "RC Shock rebuild" or even "b5m shock rebuild" to get more specific.

Make sure the shock shafts are straight and in good condition. Also make sure to buy some shock oil if you don't have it. The manual will tell you which weight you need.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #19087
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

The manual is the best write up, you can also view some videos on YouTube. It looks more intimidating than it is, just be patient when waiting for the air bubbles to dissipate.

Roll the shafts on a flat surface to ensure they are straight.

The first page of this thread has a ton of links including the manual.
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #19088
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderb View Post

Did the build come with any extra's other than what goes directly on the vehicle during build?
For example:
spring cups - 0/5/9?
anything else ????

Thanks
Yes, most of that was included with the original kit. Plus a little bit more. I don't think you are really missing much of it was build to instruction specs if you are running on a higher bite surface though.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #19089
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderb View Post

For example:
spring cups - 0/5/9?
anything else ????

Thanks
These are the available tuning options you get with the kit, when you build it from the box:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...asc9180/p16644
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...c91308/p239777
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...c91310/p239779
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...c91364/p275174
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...c91532/p275288
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...c91400/p275188
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...c91404/p275192
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...c91414/p275199
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...c91416/p275201
_danimal_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:08 AM   #19090
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Jeff - What was the biggest change result in more steering for you. I read about your progression from the car pushing until now. Looks like there were a few months of pushing. BTW - Did you check the ballcup that connects to the servo? I just crimped mine with pliers. It loosened significantly and I realized my steering had to really compromized. I'm sure the servo could handle the tenson but turning the bellcrank by hand is at least 2.5x looser now. Haven't taken it to the track yet but I can't imagine that wasn't impacting me. Have somewhat of the same problem as you in my old B5m. Did you check your ballcup/or possibly break it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
It's best to start with a Lite Kit

assuming you do have one,

get a aluminum front bulkhead, and some grey front springs and green rear springs and the spend the rest on pucks.

that'll be 100 bucks you can really tell a difference with.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:29 AM   #19091
Tech Regular

2 questions

Well another club meet run and done. I've RC racing for 5 months, in 2wd 17.5t stock & 3 months in 4wd 17.5t stock. I've come along nicely. From a couple of seconds per lap behind, now I've hit a plateau for the last 3 meets. Just very slight improvements. There is a group of drivers including the leaders that swap & change positions. I'm just behind them now. Always finishing just behind that group. I often get amongst it. However over the 5 minutes they reel me in.

So on my long drive home I've 2 questions.
1. Is my setup suitable
2. Where can I find those extra milliseconds in my driving.

I understand that not crashing is a big part of it, and I'm reducing those at a reasonable pace. It's just that my fastest 5 lap average needs to improve, compared to the group. So I'm not talking about crashes. How have you guys gone through this phase & where/how did you find the elusive time.

On setups I've basically got a good setup as far as I can tell but it's based on mod standard setup. If you had a setup you were happy with in mod & we're moving to a lighter car in stock class what would you change. I'm driving a b5m in 2wd and a cat k2 in 4wd. The cat k2 is a setup passed onto me from a stock guy, so I think that's ok. But the b5m is based on a mod setup, I'm using Ray Munday's standard Australian setup but with 1 softer springs in front & rear. What are your thoughts on both questions.

Btw I solved my veering problem. Just needed practice, or it was it the tyres. Either way it just disappeared. Personally I just think I was getting too hard on the throttle too early. But it did feel different. Maybe tyres as I said. I haven't used those tyres since and keep an eye on them when I use them next.

Once again thanks in advance.

Ben.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:45 AM   #19092
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volition View Post
2 questions

Well another club meet run and done. I've RC racing for 5 months, in 2wd 17.5t stock & 3 months in 4wd 17.5t stock. I've come along nicely. From a couple of seconds per lap behind, now I've hit a plateau for the last 3 meets. Just very slight improvements. There is a group of drivers including the leaders that swap & change positions. I'm just behind them now. Always finishing just behind that group. I often get amongst it. However over the 5 minutes they reel me in.

1. Is my setup suitable

I understand that not crashing is a big part of it, and I'm reducing those at a reasonable pace. It's just that my fastest 5 lap average needs to improve, compared to the group. So I'm not talking about crashes. How have you guys gone through this phase & where/how did you find the elusive time.

On setups I've basically got a good setup as far as I can tell but it's based on mod standard setup. If you had a setup you were happy with in mod & we're moving to a lighter car in stock class what would you change. I'm driving a b5m in 2wd and a cat k2 in 4wd. The cat k2 is a setup passed onto me from a stock guy, so I think that's ok. But the b5m is based on a mod setup, I'm using Ray Munday's standard Australian setup but with 1 softer springs in front & rear. What are your thoughts on both questions.

Btw I solved my veering problem. Just needed practice, or it was it the tyres. Either way it just disappeared. Personally I just think I was getting too hard on the throttle too early. But it did feel different. Maybe tyres as I said. I haven't used those tyres since and keep an eye on them when I use them next.

Ben.
Ben, didn't get a chance to catch up with you afterI spoke with you. Did you try any of the changes I suggested?
By the way you are driving very well. You will naturally progress with more wheel time.

Warren.
71WOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 AM   #19093
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mild seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volition View Post
2 questions

1. Is my setup suitable

Ben.
Hey Ben.

I'm using Rays setup at knox as well in 2wd stock, and have found it really good but if I have the wrong tyres it is very hard to drive the same lap every lap. I'd say just having the right tyres at the right time will help in a big way in your race pace.
I'm still new to offroad so only just getting the hang of which tyres to use and when.

Tom,
mild seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:30 AM   #19094
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hU6B9Z62hw

Heres a great video!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #19095
Tech Adept

Thanks for the clarification _danimal_
braderb is offline   Reply With Quote